PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting Choices

wesbeene
06-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Jedi-Reef Masters,
Need your help with my next purchase which is ligting for the tank formerly known as JJ's 200G. I have read 2 million forums that everyone raves about their choices
but there is really no great comparisson tool out there thus i am hoping for some insider trading information.

I know some folks have purchased Ecotech's Radion's but the wife told me if i go that route she will mail me the divorce papers! I did tell her i was going to miss her.....

1. What are some of your opinions on good quality lighting (with a shimmer effect if possible) that will not break the bank?
2. And how many would it take to cover a 6 foot bowfront tank adequately?
3. Knowing Doyles (and some others) capabilities with tweaking LED's, what is the potential of using lower end (AJM's) and having them tweaked to full spectrum???

Thanks for your help in advance!!!
Wes

719bloodhound
06-22-2015, 03:18 PM
Kessils

BRuby
06-22-2015, 04:40 PM
what is the budget and what are you wanting to keep under them?

kutcha
06-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Defiantly need to know budget amount before recommending

wesbeene
06-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Good question.....i would like to keep it around $200-$300 a fixture if possible. Depends on how many i have to buy as well to cover the full 72".

Just_Tim
06-22-2015, 06:41 PM
Jedi-Reef Masters,
Need your help with my next purchase which is ligting for the tank formerly known as JJ's 200G. I have read 2 million forums that everyone raves about their choices
but there is really no great comparisson tool out there thus i am hoping for some insider trading information.

I know some folks have purchased Ecotech's Radion's but the wife told me if i go that route she will mail me the divorce papers! I did tell her i was going to miss her.....

1. What are some of your opinions on good quality lighting (with a shimmer effect if possible) that will not break the bank?
2. And how many would it take to cover a 6 foot bowfront tank adequately?
3. Knowing Doyles (and some others) capabilities with tweaking LED's, what is the potential of using lower end (AJM's) and having them tweaked to full spectrum???

Thanks for your help in advance!!!
Wes
Its not that Doyle tweaks them to full spectrum because they already are. It's that the whites that come with them are what most people call "yellow" and not very nice to look at but great at growing algae.

My advice would be to get the Mars Aqua WIFI lights and have doyle tune them. Those lights will already come with an internal programmable controller that you can access with your phone.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

wesbeene
06-22-2015, 06:59 PM
Its not that Doyle tweaks them to full spectrum because they already are. It's that the whites that come with them are what most people call "yellow" and not very nice to look at but great at growing algae.

My advice would be to get the Mars Aqua WIFI lights and have doyle tune them. Those lights will already come with an internal programmable controller that you can access with your phone.

Tim,
Do you recommend the 165W or the 300W version?

Just_Tim
06-22-2015, 07:00 PM
I cant remember, is the bow a 5' tank? If so, two of the 300w should cover that tank for now.

kutcha
06-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Another choose would be the Ai sol blues they are around 200 a fixture you would need 3 and when you get more money you can upgrade them to the AI hydra or to the AI hydra 52's

wesbeene
06-22-2015, 07:35 PM
I cant remember, is the bow a 5' tank? If so, two of the 300w should cover that tank for now.

6 foot