PDA

View Full Version : AquaMedic Ecodrift 8.0

Rich
06-14-2015, 08:29 AM
So I picked up 2 of these yesterday from Bush for the 150. For anyone looking for a cheap power head with controller that also comes with a day/night sensor I would say go with one of these. It comes with a rubber grommet for both sides of the glass to keep the magnets from scratching the glass. The parts look like pretty decent quality (I didn't break it trying to adjust it with my banana hands and caveman intelligence.) Also, I have to run them on 50% power because 100% had water splashing over the rim of the tank and 75% looked just as violent.
I'll get a video of these running today.

Coral Xpressions
06-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Heck yeah homie. I couldnt believe how something could be better than jebao. Lol

coach
06-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Yup. These things are legit. I have one running on my 80 and it provides plenty of flow.

Rich
06-14-2015, 01:04 PM
http://youtu.be/70lAmcNz0sE

Levi
06-15-2015, 12:09 AM
awesome Rich, thank you for the video! I have two of the RW8 and wondered if there was a difference. On the controller can you do 10% adjustments on power like with the Jebao pumps? Also do you notice the flow being laminar like the wp pumps that they were created after? I am trying to decide do I go with the new MPwQD pumps since their flow is laminar, turbulant, and gyre capable, or stay with the RW pumps that have laminar and turbulant, or switch out to the eco drift pumps. All have different price points, eco drift being in the middle.

Rich
06-23-2015, 12:44 PM
awesome Rich, thank you for the video! I have two of the RW8 and wondered if there was a difference. On the controller can you do 10% adjustments on power like with the Jebao pumps? Also do you notice the flow being laminar like the wp pumps that they were created after? I am trying to decide do I go with the new MPwQD pumps since their flow is laminar, turbulant, and gyre capable, or stay with the RW pumps that have laminar and turbulant, or switch out to the eco drift pumps. All have different price points, eco drift being in the middle.

It does 100%, 75%, and 50% power modes of non pulsing or pulsing modes. You can hold the button to lock the power, or to enable a 10 minute feed mode. The pulsing modes have a "randomness knob" that will make the pulse longer, shorter, or more sporadic/chaotic. You can also change the way it pulses by making it ramp from a short duration -> long duration -> short duration, very long duration that ramps down to short, short duration -> plateau/peaked duration -> short duration. Any other modes I haven't quite figured out, yet. I know the light sensor will automatically make the pumps reduce their power to 50% constant flow once the lights start going out.

Coral Xpressions
06-23-2015, 12:53 PM
I know a guy who's looking at making the apex cables for these. He already makes them for jebao and is just checking some computer talk stuff for compatability on eco drifts. With them of course you can control at any increment above 30% and do al the other wonderful apex things to them

Levi
06-23-2015, 04:20 PM
I know a guy who's looking at making the apex cables for these. He already makes them for jebao and is just checking some computer talk stuff for compatibility on eco drifts. With them of course you can control at any increment above 30% and do al the other wonderful apex things to them

Since the ecodrift controller is the same thing as the jebao controller and they use the same volt/amp power supply, the cables should work the same. They all use a 0-5v to control the pump, so on Apex you would just have 50% as your max setting since the apex runs on 0-10v.

also the apex will not go below 1v so really its 20% on the physical pump as long as the pump can handle going that low. So if the pump will not tolerate going below 30% then really you get 1.5v-5v and the interface is not simple to use like it is for an ecotech pump. You just program voltages in and the apex sends those voltages according to the time frame you outline. I find the controller with the RW pumps to perform way better than the apex is able to control the same pump, even with complicated programs on it.

Coral Xpressions
06-23-2015, 04:21 PM
I Don't speak matrix but he's modified the cables somehow to only go to 5v or something. Idk, I've got view rights to his apex and will be hooking uo 3 tanks worth of powerheads to my apex here shortly. Get rid on these dang controllers

Levi
06-23-2015, 04:25 PM
I Don't speak matrix but he's modified the cables somehow to only go to 5v or something. Idk, I've got view rights to his apex and will be hooking uo 3 tanks worth of powerheads to my apex here shortly. Get rid on these dang controllers

probably has something inline but the apex will still send 10v if you put it at 100% so if his cable only allows 5v then again you are stuck with anything above 50% being useless on the apex

Coral Xpressions
06-23-2015, 04:26 PM
As for extra power right? 50% from the apex will still Power the pump at 100%? I'm I reading you correctly

Levi
06-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Yeah 50% on the apex powers the pump at 100%. The issue is that the apex doesn't work below 1v or 20% on the pump. Now if the pump isn't made to go below 30% and you make it, you can damage the pump. I had my rw hooked up to the apex and didn't like the limitations compared to the stock wireless controller. Also make sure to check with Aqua medic to see if you void the warranty by hooking it to an apex since it wasn't meant to be controlled that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich
06-25-2015, 12:22 PM
I wish I knew more about the Apex to help you out with that. I'm sitting here reading that and the only thing that pops in my head is "I am Groot."

Coral Xpressions
06-25-2015, 12:24 PM
Lol, I have to update firmware again on mine and then I shall begin trying to figure out these cables and apex talk

Rich
06-25-2015, 12:32 PM
I was looking at the Apex, but I decided that my setup doesn't need one. It would be a giant pain to fish some Cat 5 to my tank. That was the last I really looked at them. I'm still looking for a 100/200g food safe tank that wasn't used to transport used grease or Agave syrup...

Coral Xpressions
06-25-2015, 12:34 PM
I love the apex, best thing I did was s**** out the dough for it. And for the security of not having a walmart timer crap out on me is a nice peace of mind

Coral Xpressions
06-25-2015, 12:38 PM
I love the apex, best thing I did was s**** out the dough for it. And for the security of not having a walmart timer crap out on me is a nice peace of mind
Anyone else notice how the forum settings are now blocking H E L L even when apart of a word like s h e l l s**** lol

Rich
06-25-2015, 01:16 PM
I thought you shat out a bunch of dough. Wasn't sure what was happening.

Coral Xpressions
06-25-2015, 01:20 PM
Tomatoes patatoes. Same difference lol

Levi
06-25-2015, 01:56 PM
Anyone else notice how the forum settings are now blocking H E L L even when apart of a word like s h e l l s**** lol

It's because when I go on my tantrums with tons of vulgarity, usually an admin adds those words to the database so I can't say them anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk