PDA

View Full Version : New lights.

grumpy
06-25-2008, 12:19 AM
For one of my tanks I recently bought the Orbit Pro halide T5 fixture 3 foot long. It has not worked since I have gotten it and the local store I purchased it at will not return my calls or emails so I guess it goes back tommorow and my old lights will get set back up for a short period of time. :mad5:

That all being said I am back in the market for a good set of lights that offer me both day and night lighting. My wife so loves the night lights. :troll:

I want to be able to keep whatever I buy under the hood so pendants probably are not a workable choice. Besides that I guess my question is what should I buy, why and were.

I had thought about mail ordering these same lights from Dr Foster and Smith after i return these broken unsupported monsters :mad5:but then realized that my brand new almost 800 dollar lights showed up with 10 k halides instead of 14k the box said. A broken socket and a broken bulb.

Also is there a shop in town that will actually support what they sell? I thought I had a decent shop until I ran into a problem. Suddenly I do not get calls back and I had even explained that half my reef was black. Boy not the sharpest tack in the box here, thought I could expect service.:iamwithstupid:. Sorry did not mean to vent just makes me mad when I think about this.

Well thanks in advance to anyone that can make a suggestion.

Reefkoi
06-25-2008, 07:01 AM
I don't know what to say, have you tried hauling the fixture into the LFS you bought it from and have them try turning it on to see what they think?
C

lmarc78
06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
As I recently found out Orbit lights are not UL listed, meaning that they go threw no fire testing and are not approved my Nationel elcetric standards. They have great prices on there lights, but which cost more your house or your fish tank. I would save your money and look and ask around for a retro kit.

aquaman2000
06-25-2008, 07:19 AM
You want to be able to keep any coral you buy? What is your focus for putting corals in the tank? LPS, SPS, Softies, Mix? heavy to LPS... SPS? And exactly what size tank is it again? How much flow do you have or are you going to have to support which corals?

All of this info will help us to help you with the lights. Also how tall is your canopy? Pendants can work and have a far better spread then other lights, we have to cut holes in the top to mount the lights in.

grumpy
06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
I would like to be able to a mix of corals actually. This particular tank is 36*18*24 with a failry large (I think 40 gallon sump/Refugiam

By flow do you mean water flow. I guess about medium flow through most of the tank.

If you are talking about air flow. I was thinking I would modify my hood to allow the intake and exit to still be able to work so we could still cool and vent the bulbs without a problem.

I am not completely agains pendants but the big boss (Wife) is not too thrilled with the idea. Especially the fact then I might be looking at a chiller as well since they will not be vented like a fixture. This is not to say I will not do a pendant especially considering that my last fixture was a bit of garbage or lemon not sure yet.

Here is what I had (bought from a LFS)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12779&pcatid=12779

They appeared ok for the 4 days they worked correctly. Now I find out that they are not UL listed and my canopy would not fit over the top of them anyhow.

Am I in the ballpark at all expecting them to be able to do good solid lights with moon lights for 700 to 750 dollars?

Actually reefkoi I took them back to the LFS and without an issue got my money back but now am in the position I need lights on order tonight.

I stopped at 3 LFS's today and got 3 answers

1. get another set of the orbits. (This scares me)
2. get 2 250 pendants and a ton of moon lights (wife insists on moon lights and if she is happy I can buy toys :party:) Perhaps 14k to get a bit of color. The 10ks that came in that orbit were just too white.
3. go with all T5s. I really like the shimmer of the halides though.

So I guess the question is what would you do with this tank and were would you go to buy the lights. Also, is my budget of about 800 dollars unreasonable to do this correctly?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Murfman
06-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Lumenbright reflectors, Reeflux 12K bulbs and a coral vue ballast you can order from here; There are plenty of moonlight kits you add at little cost or make them yourself.

http://www.reefexotics.com/lumen_bright_retro.htm

$279 for 250s or $304 for 400s

Ohhh they are UL listed ;-)

Freddie40
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
If you want killer par in an all in one unit try the ATI powermodule T5 unit. a 4x39 watt unit with bulbs is $509. A 6x39 watt unit with bulbs is $739. You will be able to keep anything you want with the 4x39 watt unit. You really will be able to with the 6x39 watt unit. Sorry, no moonlights.

In my personal tank (a 75 gallon) I get a par of 240 with 4x54 watt T5s using an IceCap 660 and AquaTinics reflectors. I use VHO SuperActinics fpr supplementation. All tatal I get a par of 260 in the sand.

Dave

Freddie40
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Aother very very good choice would be the 5x39 watt Aquatinics Constellation See Here (http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_111_112&products_id=573&osCsid=bd00067bf95b0b24fe98edf6a0fdd886) Sorry no moonlights.

This is probably a better unit than either of the ATI units.

Dave

grumpy
06-28-2008, 09:20 PM
I would like to thank everyone for all theire valuable information. It was also brought to my attention that in the brevity of trying to write my explanation I just said that they did not work. This is not true they did work at first and failed slowly but very surely of about 4 days. I think everything worked at first.

Either way now biggy but it was pointed out to me that I had misstated the facts and I wanted to be completely honest.

Ok that being said what I ordered was

2 of the lumen bright 250s with the dimmable ballasts. http://www.reefexotics.com/lumen_bright_retro.htm

2. Cooling fans

and some kind of kewl night lunar lights that are actually submersible.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=381

Well it was a pleasure meeting all of you and I do appreciate all the time people spent nursing me through my decision process.

Bob AKA Grumpy

liriel
06-28-2008, 09:22 PM
It was great to meet you, grumpy :) I look forward to seeing you at more meetings!