PDA

View Full Version : How to Quiet Skimmer?

Rich
06-06-2015, 09:21 AM
The pump for my Reef Octopus sits right on the bottom of the sump, which causes a horrible vibration and LOOOOOOUUUUDDDD NOOOOIIISES! :)
What's a good sump safe way of getting it off of the acrylic for the sump? I was thinking about a very thin layer of sand. Any other suggestions?

Hydroid
06-06-2015, 10:30 AM
The pump for my Reef Octopus sits right on the bottom of the sump, which causes a horrible vibration and LOOOOOOUUUUDDDD NOOOOIIISES! :)
What's a good sump safe way of getting it off of the acrylic for the sump? I was thinking about a very thin layer of sand. Any other suggestions?

I have mine on a sheet of filter foam/sponge also made a pill bottle baffle/muffler for the air intake

Murfman
06-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Egg crate stand.

Rich
06-06-2015, 04:39 PM
Egg crate stand.

That's a good idea. Foam would have to be cleaned, and sand I realize would get sucked into the skimmer. Where can I get some egg crates?

Murfman
06-06-2015, 06:12 PM
New HD or Lowes has it in the florescent light section. Talking the square egg crate we use for making frag stands, Rich. 3/4" square holes.

Rich
06-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Life saver as always, Murf. I'll grab some tomorrow.

Joe
06-06-2015, 06:47 PM
Mine is external, but I got one of these and put it under it. It made a bigger difference than some foam pad I had before. I went with this under the foam pad. (I bought mine from Amazon)
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/silicone-vibration-silencer-oxo-good-grips.html

Rich
06-09-2015, 09:12 AM
I got the skimmer nearly dead silent (minus the water falling back into the sump), and now the external pump is the super loud one. LOL... I love this hobby. It keeps your mind challenged.