PDA

View Full Version : New Member??

wesbeene
05-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Ok, so technically i am not a member just yet (although i did go to fragtoberfest and to Ruby's house lol) but i wanted to introduce myself. I figure if i am going to set up a serious tank then i need to join the right group/family! I think i have the right bunch! Collectively it looks like you guys have more knowledge/experience than Jaque Cousteau!!!

My name is Wes Beene

Live in Colorado Springs

Currently have a 29 gallon biocube tank with just a green star polyp ...sad i know

Been in the Army for the last 31 years and probably retiring to NC next couple of years

Been married for 23 years with 4 daughters

Very little experience with reef tanks but looking to get smarter!

Thanks for all your support and post away so i can get by this 25 post minimum.

Wes

Levi
05-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Welcome! Always nice to have more military family in our club! We have a pretty decent group of military people here that have a wealth of knowledge. I am sure some of them will start replying soon. You are at 13 posts so not much more to go! BTW we always love pictures of tanks! Most people use Tapatalk which is a app for a smart phone and others use photobucket to link their pictures to the forum.

Redneck_Reefer
05-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Welcome Wes

The Dude abides

FireDawg56
05-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the NUTZ house :)

hooked
05-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Hi Wes, nice meeting you at the meeting. What kind of corals are you thinking about keeping in your reef? I may have something for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesbeene
05-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Hi Wes, nice meeting you at the meeting. What kind of corals are you thinking about keeping in your reef? I may have something for you.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!!

Doyle,

i am not sure just yet, being a small 29 gallon i would like to have 2-3 fish and easy (hearty) softies... I have green star in there now and had orange zoo's but they didn't make it for some reason. I think one of my biggest downfalls is not knowing how to use my test kits very well. Seems somewhat subjective when you do not know what your doing.

I have had Jon from Mr. Aqua test it a few times but he seems reluctant to want to.

Any recommendations??
Wes

NightStar
05-27-2015, 11:32 PM
Welcome! What tank are you wanting to setup?

Joe
05-28-2015, 08:33 AM
Welcome! If you are planning on sticking with the hobby for a while, I recommend the Hanna testers for alkalinity and calcium. About $45 and take the guesswork out of it. Petco up northeast will test your water for you with no hassles.

Pictures definitely help, shows how much live rock, placement, common issues, etc... Good strong corals with some wavy action I would recommend for starting are duncans and hammer.

Manchestercity
05-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Welcome! If you are planning on sticking with the hobby for a while, I recommend the Hanna testers for alkalinity and calcium. About $45 and take the guesswork out of it. Petco up northeast will test your water for you with no hassles.

Pictures definitely help, shows how much live rock, placement, common issues, etc... Good strong corals with some wavy action I would recommend for starting are duncans and hammer.

No don't waste your money on test kits, I just wait until things start dying then I dose everything. And use lots of garlic too [emoji6]

Just google easy corals, don't dive into LPS until you have your calcium levels right. Leathers are my favorite group of corals. They are very forgiving.

NightStar
05-28-2015, 09:43 AM
No don't waste your money on test kits, I just wait until things start dying then I dose everything. And use lots of garlic too [emoji6]

Just google easy corals, don't dive into LPS until you have your calcium levels right. Leathers are my favorite group of corals. They are very forgiving.

Leathers will kill sps, so just decide if you want a leather tank or sps tank early on :)

wesbeene
05-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info guys,
I really want to just learn to do SPS first before i dive into the hard stuff. At least that has been most of the recommendations till now. My avatar was my tank setup day one. I have more pictures but i have to figure out how to upload them. I put most of them on Photobucket but still fuzzy on how to get them on here, at least the right way! :winky:

Just_Tim
05-28-2015, 01:30 PM
Once you download Photobucket its just a couple clicks to share them here. Pbotobucket gives you clickable links to copy and paste. Sps is all about providing ample calcium for the coral to grow and over-the-top filtration. The smallest amount of phosphate (above 0.03 ppm) will inhibit growth of sticks. An overpowered skimmer, a refugium and some type of bio media reactor is paramount.

wesbeene
05-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Once you download Photobucket its just a couple clicks to share them here. Pbotobucket gives you clickable links to copy and paste. Sps is all about providing ample calcium for the coral to grow and over-the-top filtration. The smallest amount of phosphate (above 0.03 ppm) will inhibit growth of sticks. An overpowered skimmer, a refugium and some type of bio media reactor is paramount.

Thanks Tim,
I will be limited to what i can put in my 29G but i am working on trying to find a another reef ready tank locally. My 75G is being stored in Arkansas.

Sharkboy99999
05-28-2015, 03:21 PM
If I where you I would work on keeping more coral alive in your tank. But I think smaller tanks are easer but you clearly don't haha. But I still think you should work on keeping more coral alive and learn how to Use your test kits .

charleshardy5
05-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Thanks Tim,
I will be limited to what i can put in my 29G but i am working on trying to find a another reef ready tank locally. My 75G is being stored in Arkansas.
Levi has a nice 90g for sale here on rhe forums... 100 bucks, can't beat that

wesbeene
05-28-2015, 03:54 PM
Levi has a nice 90g for sale here on rhe forums... 100 bucks, can't beat that

I talked to him last night Charles and he is going to send me some pics. I made the same mistake he did, talked about it with the wife and slipped up and told her that reason he was selling it was his wife wanted a bow front and unfortunately now my wife is kinda saying the same thing. But i think if i can get a tank bought/set up pretty quickly before she has the chance to push it any further i will be ok.

charleshardy5
05-28-2015, 03:58 PM
I talked to him last night Charles and he is going to send me some pics. I made the same mistake he did, talked about it with the wife and slipped up and told her that reason he was selling it was his wife wanted a bow front and unfortunately now my wife is kinda saying the same thing. But i think if i can get a tank bought/set up pretty quickly before she has the chance to push it any further i will be ok.
Well there's JJ selling his 200g bow... win win ;)

Just_Tim
05-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Just want to point out that bowfront reef ready tanks dont come up very often and normally are overpriced. Static Reef does however have a 200 bow that is by far the cheapest ive seen in the last two years.

wesbeene
05-28-2015, 04:11 PM
Well once i can start PM'ing folks i can send him a query about that tank! Not sure how else to reach out to him. I did want to buy the guy that was selling the $80 "JJ" store credit but can't find that post anymore...lol. Was hoping to apply it to some of JJ's stock or equipment in the near future since i will need some guidance setting up a new 75-90 gallon....or 200G Bow Front tank if i can afford it! :winky::winky:

wesbeene
05-28-2015, 04:12 PM

And by the way Doyle, thank you very much for adding me as a member. I really appreciate it!

Just_Tim
05-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Well once i can start PM'ing folks i can send him a query about that tank! Not sure how else to reach out to him. I did want to buy the guy that was selling the $80 "JJ" store credit but can't find that post anymore...lol. Was hoping to apply it to some of JJ's stock or equipment in the near future since i will need some guidance setting up a new 75-90 gallon....or 200G Bow Front tank if i can afford it! :winky::winky:
Im sure something can be arranged if you'd like more info on it.

hooked
05-28-2015, 04:15 PM
And by the way Doyle, thank you very much for adding me as a member. I really appreciate it!

Yup. And 2 more posts and you are golden.

wesbeene
05-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Im sure something can be arranged if you'd like more info on it.

Tim,
I just found the area where it was for sale and now it's gone! lol...snooze you lose!! or at least don't find the post and you lose! lol!!! :cuss::cuss::cuss:

Just_Tim
05-28-2015, 05:16 PM
The post is gone? Or its sold?

static reef
05-28-2015, 06:12 PM
Credit is sold. Tank is not.

charleshardy5
05-28-2015, 07:15 PM
The post is gone? Or its sold?
Need more sticks... Call it a birthday present to myself

wesbeene
05-29-2015, 11:52 AM
Credit is sold. Tank is not.

Sorry about the confusion, what he said ^ !

I am trying to talk the wife into letting me buy JJ's setup and i was thinking that it would benefit me to buy the credit since i could probably apply it towards the tank.

I've been doing extra chores around the house to soften her up some! lol

honey do list is awful long!!!!!

Manchestercity
05-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Just please do keep in mind you will need more lights and a larger skimmer when going from a 29 to a 200.

It's worth the investment. If I had a floor that could support 200 gallons I would have bought it from Cody before JJ ever had the chance.

wesbeene
05-29-2015, 07:30 PM
Just please do keep in mind you will need more lights and a larger skimmer when going from a 29 to a 200.

It's worth the investment. If I had a floor that could support 200 gallons I would have bought it from Cody before JJ ever had the chance.

That's a good point manchester, how do you determine if your floor can support that weight?

Murfman
05-29-2015, 07:59 PM
tank going parallel to the floor joists or perpendicular?

wesbeene
05-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Perpendicular

Manchestercity
05-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Perpendicular

Will the tank go up against an outer wall?

Murfman
05-30-2015, 02:16 PM
Perpendicular will be no problem as the weight is spread out over multiple spans. On a load bearing wall it is even stronger.

statics' wife
05-30-2015, 09:15 PM
Welcome to the club

wesbeene
05-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the club

Thank you Amber!