PDA

View Full Version : return pump driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!

OceanView
05-25-2015, 07:43 AM
So, my almost new mag 5 decided to crack at the threading yesterday. I had a Mag 9 that I was able to install with a valve but the humming noise is driving me up the wall. The mag 5 was pretty loud too. On top of that my skimz ES2800 that is in the skimmer decided to hum along. It is hard not to get a headache in my living room. I have taken both pumps apart twice - and I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what to do next other than buy new pumps. Anybody have a good suggestions? I need no humming!!! Desperately!!! Oh yes, and my mom is coming from Germany tomorrow and is very prone to headaches - so I need a solution fast!

Murfman
05-25-2015, 07:51 AM
Do you have the pump in or out of the sump?

kmellon
05-25-2015, 07:51 AM
I run a rio pump in my 120 and it is farily quiet. It comes with a base that has suction cups that help with disconnecting vibrations from the sump. I also have one of the dc12000 from jeabo in the fresh water tank. it doesn't seem to create any vibrations but there is an audible whine on higher speeds.

by the way. When I bought the rio a few years a go, I picked up two for a great price off of amazon. It was a great idea as that initial pump finally failed on me a few months ago and having the spare saved my bacon greatly.

OceanView
05-25-2015, 07:56 AM
in sump

Just_Tim
05-25-2015, 08:06 AM
Cut some filter floss or use a filter sock as a cushion for the bottom of the pump.

OceanView
05-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Cut some filter floss or use a filter sock as a cushion for the bottom of the pump.
already did that - not helping :(

Just_Tim
05-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Is it the plumbing thats vibrating against something?

OceanView
05-25-2015, 08:10 AM
I run a rio pump in my 120 and it is farily quiet. It comes with a base that has suction cups that help with disconnecting vibrations from the sump. I also have one of the dc12000 from jeabo in the fresh water tank. it doesn't seem to create any vibrations but there is an audible whine on higher speeds.

by the way. When I bought the rio a few years a go, I picked up two for a great price off of amazon. It was a great idea as that initial pump finally failed on me a few months ago and having the spare saved my bacon greatly.

I have a Rio+1700 but no suction cups - that must be a new thing. I think that pump was even louder than the Mag 5 that I bought because of the noise. Hmmm

Redneck_Reefer
05-25-2015, 09:05 AM
They sell silicone trivets (used for hot dishes on a table) at target, bed bath and beyond they act as a noise damper

The Dude abides

OceanView
05-25-2015, 09:55 AM
They sell silicone trivets (used for hot dishes on a table) at target, bed bath and beyond they act as a noise damper

The Dude abides

great idea - I will try those

OceanView
05-25-2015, 09:57 AM
have not thought of that. You made me crawl half way into my sump lol. The pump sits by itself and I use hoses instead of pvc for the sump plumbing, so I do not see anything that could be vibrating.

OceanView
05-26-2015, 12:08 PM
well, no trick is working. What was the name of the new aquatic store in town? I looked through past threads, but could not find it.

Just_Tim
05-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Aquaria masters

OceanView
05-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Thx Tim :)

Levi
05-26-2015, 01:14 PM
did you get the issue fixed? It can be the shaft has worn away some of the material and is rattling around in there when the pump is on. If this is the case then a new impeller may fix it but it depends on the type of pump. I have a DC12000 like Kevin and would say by far that it is the quietest pump I have ever used. No vibration and it only whines at 3000gph speeds and even then when the doors are shut on the stand I cannot really hear it at all. Much less noise than the two mag 9.5's I used to run. My current mag 5 that I run my UV sterilizer with is pretty noisy and I will be looking to change it out to a dc3000, then change out my mag 9.5 to a dc6000.

scrumpto
05-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Pick up a Jebao/Jecod DCT pump from Amazon. If you get a bigger model than you think you'll need you can run it at a slower speed which reduces any chance of a whine. You can also adjust the speed with a press of the button. Mine runs virtually silent.

Levi
05-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Pick up a Jebao/Jecod DCT pump from Amazon. If you get a bigger model than you think you'll need you can run it at a slower speed which reduces any chance of a whine. You can also adjust the speed with a press of the button. Mine runs virtually silent.

could not agree more!