PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts?

Manchestercity
04-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Anyone ever try these? Seems like an affordable substitute to hundred dollar fixtures.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/151464989199

Just_Tim
04-23-2015, 07:26 PM
They're ok for a very small tank (pico) theyre not very intense.

Levi
04-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Hmm let me check something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coral Xpressions
04-23-2015, 10:00 PM
Hmm let me check something

Wikipedia????

Redneck_Reefer
04-23-2015, 11:58 PM
Wikipedia????

Lol

The Dude abides

NightStar
04-24-2015, 12:10 AM
It's like Tim said, not very bright, so for a small tank. Just look at the math: no two channels, so you can't dim or have just blues on, it's all or nothing. Also, you have to buy a fixture for that to go into. It's 45w, which is less then a third of the power of the $100 fixture, but more then a third of the price. If you have a need that fits exactly, sure. Just worth comparing.

static reef
04-24-2015, 06:26 AM
It's like Tim said, not very bright, so for a small tank. Just look at the math: no two channels, so you can't dim or have just blues on, it's all or nothing. Also, you have to buy a fixture for that to go into. It's 45w, which is less then a third of the power of the $100 fixture, but more then a third of the price. If you have a need that fits exactly, sure. Just worth comparing.
Is it just me, or does everyone else really enjoy when rachel drops knowledge bombs.?

NightStar
04-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Is it just me, or does everyone else really enjoy when rachel drops knowledge bombs.?

That's what happens when you catch me after a long night of processing a coral shipment. Lol.

Reefkoi
04-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Im not sure about them being "not very bright" I have a similar one and the PAR is very high because of the lens design like 700 PAR which will grow/kill anything LOL so like the others have said for a smaller tank yes but Id think they could support coral in a 20g tank roughly but the cheap 120w "fixtures" do cover a lot more area but Id be willing to bet $ the PAR will be higher than on a cheap chinese 120w fixture w/o those lens'

Levi
04-24-2015, 03:13 PM

Actually not exactly true. Like Reefkoi was saying the wattage really doesn't equate to lumens/par exactly. For instance the radion lights are less wattage than most advertised lights but you can run them at full wattage. Other fixtures advertised as 165w because of the 3w LEDs actually only run them at around 2w so only produce around 120w. Also optics can make a 1w led burn a coral before a 3w led so it's all subjective. Not enough info in the eBay add to go into the full debate. Par bulbs have great uses and typically when buying smaller items you pay more per unit of measure than buying "in bulk". So using money to compare cost of dollar per watt doesn't really work when looking at these bulbs.

When I said let me check I was looking on aliexpress and found the same bulbs for $21 with free shipping. Not the same color spectrum but the manufac will do this custom at request and only charges extra for UV LEDs.

Levi
04-24-2015, 03:15 PM
You can find the dimmable par bulbs on aliexpress as well

Levi
04-24-2015, 03:18 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/368d372a0a3e589e0fdd84a43ef9b87b.jpg

Levi
04-24-2015, 03:18 PM
The above has free shipping and is 54w epistar 3w LEDs x 18

Levi
04-24-2015, 03:22 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/c932b0271a9116cec444cc30e4a19978.jpg

These are the exact bulbs on eBay

hooked
04-24-2015, 03:29 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/24/c932b0271a9116cec444cc30e4a19978.jpg

These are the exact bulbs on eBay

HaHa. That's my 90gal in that picture.

NightStar
04-24-2015, 03:57 PM
Eh, I didn't pick the best word with "brightest", I acknowledge that, but Chris basically backed it up in that the bulb can run about a 20 gal tank. As such, it's not a direct substitute for the larger light. You said you can't compare as it's like "buying in bulk", but in essence the original question asked to compare the two. If you're looking to light a larger tank, unless you really want the bulbs, it doesn't make sense. If you don't like the spectrums, ask Doyle to make you one :)

Reefkoi
04-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Next project I'm hiring Levi to research it for me lol good points you made. Those Ali prices are super cheap they may last 5 years or they might burn out in 5 minutes there is no way to tell without flying to china and visiting the factory :)
Have you guys bought many led fixtures off alibaba? I'm just curious what the success or failure rate is

Manchestercity
04-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Eh, I didn't pick the best word with "brightest", I acknowledge that, but Chris basically backed it up in that the bulb can run about a 20 gal tank. As such, it's not a direct substitute for the larger light. You said you can't compare as it's like "buying in bulk", but in essence the original question asked to compare the two. If you're looking to light a larger tank, unless you really want the bulbs, it doesn't make sense. If you don't like the spectrums, ask Doyle to make you one :)

Okay
Doyle will you make me an LED light?

Levi
04-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Next project I'm hiring Levi to research it for me lol good points you made. Those Ali prices are super cheap they may last 5 years or they might burn out in 5 minutes there is no way to tell without flying to china and visiting the factory :)
Have you guys bought many led fixtures off alibaba? I'm just curious what the success or failure rate is

I have never purchased off aliexpress but 99% of the eBay lights even most name brands are rebranded ones you can find on aliexpress or alibaba. My experience is that the ballasts or drivers go bad more often than not and the LEDs are not terrible just you get variation of color so one might be a true 445nm and the next bulb in the same package is 450nm or worse 465nm.

Reefkoi
04-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Yeah that's kind of the deal with all the Chinese leds . They change factories and employees and engineers at these places a lot I have found. If you get a good light it's because the current shape of that factory is good if not it's because they are cutting corners to stay in biz and or not having good employees that know what they are doing