PDA

View Full Version : Super new here

WVmountaineer
03-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Hey everyone, how's things going? I met a guy named Steve at Petco the other day and gave me a business card for this site. He was very very helpful and I appreciated it very much!

So, background - in my early twenties I had a couple freshwater tanks, some with knife fish, others with cichlids, some with gouramies. A friend of my wife's gave us a 10gal for free about 7mths ago. It now resides in my oldest son's room with a few mickeys, a fancy, an angel, and a couple swordtails. I can handle freshwater pretty easily at this point. Our neighbor moved out about 2 months ago, and they gave up on their 46gal bowfront, throwing it in my garage. I want to start a marine aquarium in this bowfront.
Currently it has two heaters, a double 40-60gal hang on the back filter, air pump, and a longer air stone. Talking to some people, I am on the fence about using crushed coral or live sand. Anyone want to convince me to one or the other?
Another question I have is I was told I need live rock also, where's the best place to get that?
And what else am I missing? I would really like to just start with fish-only, and decorate with some fake corals/plants/etc... I dont want to have to buy different lighting.

So im starting fresh here, open mind, not-so-open wallet.

static reef
03-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Welcome to our club and the addiction.

1. Live sand instead of crushed coral. FYI Crushed coral will become alive as well once your bacterias start up. CC will also allow small negative items such as detritus to accumalate and not be easily removed thus spiking your tank with phosphates and nitrates. Detritus can be mitigated with a nice CUC (clean up crew). I prefer sand so that i do not have to solely rely on my cuc.

2. Live rock is everywhere. 5-8 a lb at the LFS (lical fish store) and 1-3$ a lb. If used from a member. Dont recommend coral inserts as they will be covered in alhae and have to be removed and cleaned bi-weekly.

3.Air stone is not a necessity in sw as you will replace O2 with powerheads.

4. What light do you have? FW lights do not work for SW tanks and will create a massive load of algae.

5. I recommend you taking your time and researching everything. Visit other senior member tanks and ask questions about everything.

We do a monthly meeting and i hope to meet you there.

Jj

Just_Tim
03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Welcome. I think the other first decision you need to make is are yiu going to keep coral or just livestock.

WVmountaineer
03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Welcome to our club and the addiction.

1. Live sand instead of crushed coral. Crushed coral will become alive as well once your bacterias start up. CC will allow smal negative items such as detritus to build uo and not easily remived thus spiking your tank with phosphates and nitrates. Detritus can be mitigated with a nice CUC (clean up crew). I prefer sand so that i do not have to solely rely on my cuc.

2. Live rock is everywhere. 5-8 a lb at the LFS (lical fish store) and 1-3$ a lb. If used from a member.

3.Air stone is not a necessity in sw as you will replace O2 with powerheads.

4. What light do you have? FW lights do not wirk for SW tanks and will creat a massuve load of algae.

5. I recommend you taking your time and researching everything. Visit other senior member tanks and ask questions about everything.

We do a monthly meeting and i hope to meet you there.

Jj

Thanks Static!
I was hearing more good about sand than CC, and you confirmed that - thank you.
I still have the normal florescent light in the hood that is used for freshwater, is that not a good choice? Not sure what your acronyms mean (sorry).
Last question - where do I find out when the meetings are and where they are?

Thanks in advance! This site seems to be pretty awesome so far!

hooked
03-25-2015, 03:20 PM
Welcome to your new addiction and to our group. We are all hopelessly addicted to reefing. I agree with static about doing your research and visit as many tanks as you can.
With that said...
1. You are welcome to swing by and see my systems any time.
2. Sooner or later - You will crave corals in your tank. So plan accordingly.

Hope to see you at a meeting in the near future.

hooked
03-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Our next meeting is in the later part of April. We will get details posted soon.

static reef
03-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks Static!
I was hearing more good about sand than CC, and you confirmed that - thank you.
I still have the normal florescent light in the hood that is used for freshwater, is that not a good choice? Not sure what your acronyms mean (sorry).
Last question - where do I find out when the meetings are and where they are?

Thanks in advance! This site seems to be pretty awesome so far!
Np. SW-saltwater. FW-fresh water.
No. You will need to change them out.

Doesnt have to be expensive and you will orobably find one used here. Ince you post what you are looking for.

More than welcome to stop by my place to get a good understanding. Ill be home all day on Friday.

NightStar
03-25-2015, 04:13 PM
2. Sooner or later - You will crave corals in your tank. So plan accordingly.

Truth. Lol. For that size tank you can get away with one led light, they're not too expensive.

Murfman
03-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Welcome. Research, research, research, ask questions and research!!!! Oh, be patient!

Sharkboy99999
03-26-2015, 09:36 AM
Oh your come around on the corals and welcome

Sent by me

j5fisher
03-26-2015, 07:38 PM
Welcome

Joe
03-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the club. What part of WV are you from? I lived in Bridgeport for a few years.

WVmountaineer
03-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Welcome to the club. What part of WV are you from? I lived in Bridgeport for a few years.

A little town call Worthington. Its not too far north of Bridgeport, that's where we would go to the mall and to shop for vehicles. There's some really good Italian restaurants down there, miss that. I do have some family that lives near/around there. When did you live back there?

WVmountaineer
03-27-2015, 12:27 PM
so im looking at lighting now, since y'all think im gonna end up with coral and plants. do i just need to get a fluorescent bulb to replace my current one or is there something on eBay i could round up cheap?

WVmountaineer
03-27-2015, 12:29 PM
one more question for now - how many pounds of sand do i need to budget for? its a 46gal bow, TIA

coach
03-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Welcome. With how inexpensive LED fixtures are getting, I would go with LEDs. Also, keep your eye out for free sand, people always seem to be giving it away.

Joe
03-27-2015, 05:55 PM
I was there from 2002 to 2005. You are right about the Italian places. Now I want some pepperoni rolls and shrimp capicola! I'm not sure how to estimate how many pounds of sand. You don't have to have any specific amount. Some people like bare bottoms. I like a few inches for burrowing fish like jawfish. It depends on your likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShankStripedLyretail
04-06-2015, 10:37 AM
Hey WV, welcome to the forum!

I would definitely look into powerheads for circulating water in your tank and creating essential gas exchange at the surface.

An RODI setup is something that a lot of hobbyists employ on their systems as it provides pure water that can be used for top offs and mix water.

Test kits so you can keep track of a cycle in your tank (much like freshwater) and other major levels in the tank.

A skimmer is probably another thing you want to look into. It is the go to filtration method for saltwater much like hang on the back filters are for freshwater. A skimmer removes dissolved organic matter from the water column and helps to keep your tank clean. Most hobbyists rely on these and water changes to maintain their tanks.

And like others have said, lighting is a big part of the hobby. LEDs are an investment upfront, but in the long term they are the cheapest compared to replacing bulbs for fluorescent or halide and the energy costs to run them for hours at a time. Depending on your current fluorescent fixture (how much the ballast can handle) you should be able to replace the old bulbs. The difference is in the spectrums that organisms use in the different environments. Most people like to use a 4-6 bulb fixture in marine keeping.

Some great books to check out for reading and research are "Conscientous Marine Aquarist" by Bob Fenner, general information on the hobby and any of the fish you might encounter. "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta (some of his stuff is a little dated: using crushed coral, stocking opinions. So you might wanna double check here). "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman goes over every coral you could find in the hobby, lighting and needs etc. These have been a great help to me and you're free to borrow them if you like!

Hope this helps! Patience is a virtue in this hobby, and as is "measure twice, cut once", double checking and research will save you time, money and heartache.

Kris