PDA

View Full Version : Adding a sump to existing tank?

Rich
03-20-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm thinking about adding a sump to my 29G long. Is it possible to add one without having to drain and take everything out to drill it? I hear the external overflow boxes aren't very reliable and mostly just leak water all over the floor.

Just_Tim
03-20-2015, 11:35 AM
If its drilling you're looking for then yes, draining and starting over is what has to happen. Hob overflows can cause catastrophic failure if not caught in time but if youre able to keep one going theyre ok-ish.

kmellon
03-20-2015, 11:40 AM
One of the problems with HOB overflows is what happens after a power failure. Some of them are built with a nipple to connect some air hose. The air hose goes to a wet pump like a tom's water lifter (name?) which some use as an auto top off pump. This pump turns on when the power returns and starts sucking out the air that has developed in the over flow tube to re-establish the suction.

Oh, and yes, it is better to just break down the tank and drill for an overflow box. and make sure that the panel of glass that you plan on drilling is not tempered.

Rich
03-20-2015, 12:16 PM
Ok. That's what I figured. I suppose once I decide to get rid of my freshwater I can just clean that all up, drill it, and add a sump. Then would come the cycling process before I move my fish over.

Murfman
03-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Ghost overflow, can't go wrong there!

kmellon
03-20-2015, 08:40 PM
+100 Those are sweet. Especially if you have to drill into the side or back panel should the bottom be tempered. Other than the ghost, you have to figure out a bean animal or similar set up on your own. They are pretty proud of their little device so make sure you save up. :)

moerena
03-20-2015, 11:42 PM
It almost sounds like an upgrade is in order. If you have to go through all this trouble it's better to go bigger to make it worth it