PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Question

ShakingHorizons
03-19-2015, 08:05 AM
I am headed back in to the hobby after a 5 year hiatus. Unfortunately I sold every piece of equipment when I broke down my 180g. I plan on buying kutcha's 40g setup (as soon as I can PM!) and will need to purchase a RO/DI.

With the change of technology over 5 years, is Spectrapure still the best system out there? I am going for the least amount of waste. I have been pursuing BRS and see that they offer a water saver + option, but have little information regarding them. The Spectrapure unit boasts a 1:1 which makes me giddy.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks!

Murfman
03-19-2015, 10:31 AM
pretty much all units use the same filters and membranes, just different labeling and bells and whistles. You can increase effectiveness by adding a pressure pump and another ro/di set up to filter the waste water.

ShakingHorizons
03-19-2015, 10:37 AM
another ro/di set up to filter the waste water.

Just hook the waste water line in as the input on the second unit?

Kio707
03-19-2015, 11:30 AM
Yep

David

Murfman
03-19-2015, 11:35 AM
Just hook the waste water line in as the input on the second unit?

If you have enough pressure, that would work. If not, you need a booster pump.

ShakingHorizons
03-19-2015, 12:32 PM
Would hooking the waste water line in to the other RO/DI be more or less effective than adding a "water saver +" to a stock BRS unit?

kmellon
03-19-2015, 12:39 PM
pressure is still the issue. BRS advertises and has a video on adding a second ro membrane to the system. I'm running it myself, but I also run a booster pump and tap both hot and cold lines and can achieve a 1-1 ratio of waste to ro/di water.

ShakingHorizons
03-19-2015, 01:30 PM
pressure is still the issue. BRS advertises and has a video on adding a second ro membrane to the system. I'm running it myself, but I also run a booster pump and tap both hot and cold lines and can achieve a 1-1 ratio of waste to ro/di water.

I was under the impression that hot water should never be used?

kmellon
03-19-2015, 02:45 PM
Correct, but warm water is fine and maximizes the potential. Which is why I said I tap the hot and cold lines from under a sink. I have a valve and one way adapter on each line before they "Y" in to the single line that goes to the system. ultimately the mix is somewhere around 80 degrees or so.

ShakingHorizons
03-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the information!

kmellon
03-19-2015, 03:08 PM
anytime. I thought I had posted some pictures of the connections under the sink, but I don't see them now and I don't have easy access to them from work.