PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed!!!

duprst
03-05-2015, 10:10 PM
I have lost two clownfish now in two days. I don't know what happened. I came home from work yesterday and today and they were dead on the bottom of the tank. Both have been swimming around and acting normal over the last month or so and now this. Any clues as to what might do this? Also I am the one with the Alk at 1.4 dKh but everything else is in normal range. Water temp is at 78 or so. Just very confused now. Two weeks ago I also lost a tang. Any help would be awesome

Just_Tim
03-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Were any livestock added recently?

duprst
03-05-2015, 10:23 PM
2 chromis on Monday and a bristle tooth tang on tuesday

charleshardy5
03-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Sorry to hear, I would definitely stop adding livestock for the time being. Introducing new fish without proper quarantine can introduce parasites and diseases into your system and can cause things like this. I agree with what Doyle mentioned Nin your other thread about potentially having a bad Alk test kit. My addition to thay would be perhaps your PH test kit is the one out of whack, if your alk really is that low there's also a chance that your tank is undergoing a PH crash. I don't believe low Alk itself could kill fish bit the lack of alk would mean you have nothing to buffer PH, just a thought.

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

Joe
03-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Sorry to hear all this. Have you done water changes? Do you have any carbon or polyfilter you could include to remove any toxins? Have you observed possible signs of ich (small white dots like grains of salt on the fish)?

sweat044
03-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I have been there. You want to add things slowly. How big is your system?

duprst
03-06-2015, 06:13 PM
I have a 75G system plus a 20 gal sump. I have carbon as my media in the sump.

kmellon
03-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Take a very close look at your surviving fish. Look for anything that looks like sand sticking to the fish, or scratching against rocks or other surfaces. You have mentioned several Tangs and they are notorious for being susceptible to ich.

I haven't been on much, but have you posted a full build thread? I know you've had issues with alk and i'm guessing that you have that under control and in spec before you started adding fish. However, it helps members help you if you remind us about your config, parameters, and stock. Not to mention everything that you have added recently to include all fish, corals, and equipment.

duprst
03-07-2015, 09:29 PM
ok I am completely lost now. I just lost another fish tonight. it was my blue damsel. That fish has been through hell and back was still alive. But not anymore. So that makes a total of 5 fish this week. They have all been smaller fish that is about all they have in common. So to give an idea of my setup, I have a 75 gal with a 20 gal sump running carbon as my medium. it has been up and running for about 2.5 months. I have a foxface, bristle tooth tang, 2 chromis, fire angel, and a diamond goby. I have 7-8 different types of zoas, a hammer, a Hollywood stunner and a torch. Is there anyone that lives in the north of the springs that can test my water? I have been testing it but it says the only thing out of wack is my alk that is currently at 1.4 dKh.

kmellon
03-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I am confused by your Alk levels. Did you make or buy your salt water? Are you using RODI or Tap water? I think your testing method or equipment is incorrect. As an example, I live in Falcon and knowing that the PH is high (8.4 right out of the tap) I have added very little alk over the past 2 years and the lowest it has been was 6.4.
If it is that low, it might be why the fish are dying, but I still think it is a parasite like ich. That is assuming that you have tested for levels of ammonia/nitrate/nitrite, and that you aren't dealing with some sort of algae bloom.
Anyway. Where do you live. That might help members know if they are close enough for you to bring some water to them of if they have time to stop by your place. Hope this helps. Oh and fyi, Petco North can do a simple test of your water for the basics. They use the test strips so don't expect precise values, but it would show if something is really out of wack.

BRuby
03-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I can come by in the morning. Send me your address and phone number.

duprst
03-07-2015, 10:00 PM
I live off Briargate and voyager across from Shop at the Promenade. I buy my water from Seascape and normally do a water change ever week to every 1.5 weeks. I am using a Hanna Akl tester and the levels come back as 19 today which is 1.064 dKh and dropping.

I_Made_You_Read_This
03-07-2015, 10:15 PM
What is your PH at?

duprst
03-07-2015, 10:21 PM
My PH is at 8.3, nitrite at 0 and nitrates at 5 ppm.

kmellon
03-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Haven't used any of the hanna testers, but Brian is really knowledgeable and maintains several tanks at his home and lives in your general location. I trust that he should be able to sort out what might be going on. Best of luck.

Oh, and if nobody mentioned it in the past, you might be stocking your tank too quickly for the bio filtration. Guessing that you have a good amount of rock in your tank and sump, most tanks really need time to acclimate to the fish that you are adding to the system. I set up my 120 with sand that was in bags but way past its livelihood, quite a bit of dead/dry rock, and several very large live rocks from someone that was breaking down a tank. I let the system run for over a month with no fish, add a tiger goby for the sand and after a month with him added a yellow tang, blue tang, and a cleaner wrasse. The two tangs for all the algae that had built up and the wrasse to help clean the tangs.

Yes, that is wayyyy overkill for the addition of fish to my system, but I felt much more comfortable with that pace.

Good luck and try not to let it get you down. We have all had stressful times, but we love this hobby for the beauty that these systems hold.

charleshardy5
03-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Here's a question. You running a skimmer? How much surface agitation do you have? If the answers are no and no, lack of oxygen in your water could totally be the culprit

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

duprst
03-07-2015, 11:03 PM
Yes i am running a skimmer and have plenty of agitation. So i wouldn't think it was lack of oxygen

Ehren
03-07-2015, 11:05 PM
It sounds like your water parameters and care are generally good, especially for your damsels and clowns which are normally pretty hardy. I hate to mention this, but it sounds like it might be a parasite, based on the timing I'd guess flukes or ich and I'd blame your tang without knowing any other details. If it were me I'd try to pull the fish quarantine and treat. I'd treat prasipro for fluke (kills the fastest) then try and treat for ich. Best of luck.

TheMadReefer
03-07-2015, 11:58 PM
Stray voltage?

BRuby
03-08-2015, 12:48 AM
I live off Briargate and voyager across from Shop at the Promenade. I buy my water from Seascape and normally do a water change ever week to every 1.5 weeks. I am using a Hanna Akl tester and the levels come back as 19 today which is 1.064 dKh and dropping.

You are gonna have to be more specific on the address. It sounds like I am about 10 minutes from you. I can be there around 10 if you give me the address.

duprst
03-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Pm sent with address and phone number

greaseballpaul
03-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Stray voltage?
Another good possibility.

"One good thing about music. When it hits ya, you feel no pain." .....Bob Marley

BRuby
03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
I think we got it figured out.

Just_Tim
03-08-2015, 11:59 AM
I think we got it figured out.
What were the findings?

BRuby
03-08-2015, 12:30 PM
What were the findings?

I don't think the tank ever really cycled. Ammonia was high and PH is low. He is gonna leave it alone and let it do its thing.

Just_Tim
03-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Good to hear it was figured out.

duprst
03-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Just a quick question. While the tank is cycling should i be doing water changes as well?

Just_Tim
03-16-2015, 03:13 PM
If you are cycling with fish then yes. If its a fishless cycle just leave be.