PDA

View Full Version : Aqua c remora pump suggestions!

reefifishy
03-03-2015, 08:31 AM
I will to hear from anyone using the aqua c with the mag drive 3 cause mine looks like it stop working completely, it barely produces any skimmate and most of the time when I go to check on the tank the skimmer neck is just empty with no foam at all, I was looking online at marine and I saw that they no longer offer the aqua c with the mag 3 but instead they offer it with the maxi jet 1200, I wonder if this is a better choice pump for this skimmer, the mag on my skimmer is about 3 years old maybe older.

Romebaby
03-03-2015, 09:36 AM
I have one with the mj1200. Never tried a mag3 on it so I can't compare but the mj works great.

jjmoneyman
03-03-2015, 09:41 AM
I run MJ but sometimes it just quits producing.

Xyz from my silly phone.

kutcha
03-03-2015, 10:34 AM
have you cleaned out the pump there may be something that is slowing the impeller down it may be that simple of a fix

hooked
03-03-2015, 10:41 AM
I don't know about the remora but when I had an Aqua C EV skimmer. There would occasionally get debris in the venturi and cause the bubbles to stop. Again, I dont know if the remora evn has a venturi on it.

reefifishy
03-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I will take this thing apart and give it a good clean up before I make any decisions, so far I'm very disappointed with it, I wonder if by me connecting my biopellets reactor straight to it has anything to do with it when it comes to stopping producing skimmate at random times.

Rich
03-12-2015, 02:09 PM
I use the Cobalt MJ1200 on mine. The only times that it will stop producing "foam" is after feeding or adding supplements to the tank. I say "foam" because everything winds up as spoiled mountain dew colored liquid at the bottom of the cup with giant chunks of brown/black nastiness all over the sides of the collection cup. I would definitely give everything a really good clean, though. Bits of Mysis or other food might be stuck in the impellor section of the pump. Plus, you'll get out all of the nasty that is inside of the unit itself.

tech87
03-22-2016, 03:29 PM
I have a Urchin Pro and had the same problem with it being inconstant. When it works it works great, but then it will stop and i will clean adjust and jack with it for 3-4 days till it would start again. Needless to say, I replaced with a Reef Octopus 150.

scrumpto
03-23-2016, 09:16 PM
I've used one for 10+ years and here are my experiences.

Mine originally came with a MaxiJet 1200 and I added the drain hose to a 5-gal bucket so that I didn't have to constantly empty the collection cup. About once a month I had to clean out the venturi jet with the wire brush as food gets stuck in it. After a couple years I noticed the skimmer wasn't producing as much so I bought a new MaxiJet 1200 which solved the problem. Note: Cobalt makes the original Italian Maxijet 1200 -- the Marineland Maxijet 1200's are made in China and are junk.

Then a few years later I'd heard that the Mag-3 was a better pump so I bought one and installed it. A few weeks later the skimmer went crazy and drained 25 gallons into the 5 gallon bucket overnight. The only reason it didn't drain the entire tank is that the pump was location only halfway down in the tank. You can imagine how pleased I was the next day when I lost half my corals. Yes, I learned from the experience and now have a computer and sensors on my 5 gallon bucket ;-)

If you use a surface skimmer you'll have better results. Honestly no idea if the biopellets output is affecting the performance but it's always possible.

The Remora is a great little skimmer which has stood the test of time. Lots of people have used modifications to "make it better" but honestly I think creating a franken-skimmer isn't the best option. Just use it on a smaller tank, keep it clean and replace the MJ1200 with a Cobalt once a year and it should continue to work forever for you as the only moving part is the pump.

Now, if you completely clean it, put a new Cobalt MJ1200 on it and remove the biopellets and you still don't have foam after a week then you have a problem.

One potential mod to the skimmer would be to put a stronger pump on it with a gate valve on the outflow to moderate the output of the pump. You could use a variable DC pump and then also use the gate valve to fine tune the output to the skimmer. I did that once and it worked pretty well. The benefit of this is that you don't have to replace the pump ever year and as the pump loses power over time you can simply adjust the gate valve. Just be sure to use a sensor on your drain bucket or you'll end up with mess!