PDA

View Full Version : Calcium and Alkalinity Test Results

duprst
02-28-2015, 09:27 PM
I just checked my levels using Hanna Checkers for my Calcium and Alkalinity. My Calcium is 401 and my Alkalinity is 41. What are the ideal levels and the best stuff to use the raise them?

charleshardy5
02-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Calc should be between 380 and 450 idealy, as for alk, not familiar with the hanna checker or the reading 41, but alk should be between 7-8 dKH

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

Joe
02-28-2015, 09:54 PM
I would redo the alkalinity test. Hanna checkers display results in parts per million. I shoot for 180. 41 would be really low. What is your PH? I shoot for 420 on calcium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duprst
02-28-2015, 09:58 PM
I just checked the convertion 1 ppm= 0.056 dKH so I am at 2.296 dKH. What is the best thing to use to raise this level?

Joe
02-28-2015, 09:59 PM
Check out this link. http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

duprst
02-28-2015, 10:12 PM
what produce do you recommend to raise the Alkalinity?

hooked
03-01-2015, 09:32 AM
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/

Murfman
03-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Baking soda, but do it slowly. Stability is the key!

? for you, are you keeping a lot of SPS?

duprst
03-02-2015, 09:32 PM
No I do not have any SPS as of yet.

duprst
03-04-2015, 09:46 PM
How much and how often can I add Alkalinity to my tank. My Alkalinity is dropping it is now at 1.47dKh. All my other levels are just fine. I have been adding 1 tsp of Seachem reef builder (dry) to 2 cups of RO/DI water and then adding to my tank twice a week.

Joe
03-04-2015, 10:37 PM
It varies. Changes over time as you corals grow. Check out the Randy Holmes Farley article Hooked posted. That is what. Have been going by.

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 07:54 PM
I use Randy's recipe. If your pH is that low then yes you need to raise it. If your tank is inhabited though it needs to be done gradually as mentioned.

I can't see how it could be that low though with out some type of issue. Dosing calcium reduces alk (pH). That's why most dosing supplements consist of 2 parts. The alk maintains the pH level after the introduction of calcium. Baking soda is, in fact, the alk portion of Randy's recipe. If I remember right its 2 and 1/4th cup to a gallon of RO water. If you bake it first that helps dissolve the soda in your RO making the suspension much more clear. It also reduces the risk of dusting an expensive coral with raw soda. Another story in itself.

"One good thing about music. When it hits ya, you feel no pain." .....Bob Marley

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Aeration is supposed to help raise pH as well. When the lights go off at night there is also a shift down in pH value. Many of us use a sump light in opposite rotation from our display lights to nix that shift. Stability is the main thing for pH. More so than the actual number. Again though, you should be stable at a level above 7 and up to something like 8.2.

"One good thing about music. When it hits ya, you feel no pain." .....Bob Marley

hooked
03-05-2015, 07:59 PM
One of the nicest tanks I've seen maintained an Alk level of 3.0dkh. So I don't thing it is as much the level of alk as it is the stability. I wouldn't try to get away with levels that low. But I have seen it done.
One other note. Baking the baking soda will release the carbon dioxide, this helps to raise pH.

hooked
03-05-2015, 08:00 PM
Aeration is supposed to help raise pH as well. When the lights go off at night there is also a shift down in pH value. Many of us use a sump light in opposite rotation from our display lights to nix that shift. Stability is the main thing for pH. More so than the actual number. Again though, you should be stable at a level above 7 and up to something like 8.2.

You beat me to it. Great addition Chris.

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Great minds think alike Doyle!

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 08:03 PM
But again, we are treating a symptom and possibly not the actual problem. He mentions his pH continuing in a downward slope. What would drain his alk like that?

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 08:07 PM
How much and how often can I add Alkalinity to my tank. My Alkalinity is dropping it is now at 1.47dKh. All my other levels are just fine. I have been adding 1 tsp of Seachem reef builder (dry) to 2 cups of RO/DI water and then adding to my tank twice a week.
I believe the accepted ideal for increasing pH is 1/2 up to 1 point in value per 24hrs. Don't quote me on that though.

charleshardy5
03-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Speaking of, I'm about to start dosing and I have aprox 90g total volume. In my reading I have come across multiple sources stating that until I get the levels to acceptable ranges I should dose aprox 1mL per gallon per day. Does that sound about right to anyone? This whole thing scares the **** out of me cause I don't want to nuke my tank, I know calcium isn't as bad overdosing as alk, and I have also read that you don't want want to raise your dKH more than .5 per day. But I'm thinking tonight I'm gonna pull the trigger and set up my pumps. Any last minute advice haha

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Speaking of, I'm about to start dosing and I have aprox 90g total volume. In my reading I have come across multiple sources stating that until I get the levels to acceptable ranges I should dose aprox 1mL per gallon per day. Does that sound about right to anyone? This whole thing scares the **** out of me cause I don't want to nuke my tank, I know calcium isn't as bad overdosing as alk, and I have also read that you don't want want to raise your dKH more than .5 per day. But I'm thinking tonight I'm gonna pull the trigger and set up my pumps. Any last minute advice haha

Just do equal amounts of both. They cancel one another out and the cal still gets in. Be sure to mix each (cal and alk) right and you'll be just fine. By that I mean do it with no distractions. The youngest likes to "help" with anything fish related and once I got one or the other mixed a bit off. Had to dump out both and make a new batch.

charleshardy5
03-05-2015, 08:19 PM
Cool thanks and sorry for the thread jack btw

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 08:52 PM
I think that question would have popped up here eventually anyway. No harm done.

Romebaby
03-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Test frequently, increase slowly. I wouldn't start with 90ml if you haven't been dosing at all. Also I would suggest running the pumps into cups to make sure they are putting out the volume you want. My two BRS 1.1ml pumps put out 1.2 and 1.3. I ran them for 60 minutes and did the math. When I first started I was manually dumping in 10ml, testing 30 minutes later to see how much it raised the levels, then testing again 24 hours later to see how much the system consumed. Then 20ml, 30ml, etc. It got to be a pain so I switched to pumps.

charleshardy5
03-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Yessir I've been testing for the last 2 weeks, Alk I've been steady watching drop, finally found a Calc test that's consistent, a salifert, and the last 4 days have been watching my Calc levels as well, I think I will definitely do what you suggested about running them for an hour ish to see where I'm at, I'll also be using the BRS 1.1 ml dosers. Going to hook them up to my RKL and hope for the best but I was anxious about the 1mL per gallon thing so I appreciate your concern as well, I should prolly start off slower

duprst
03-05-2015, 09:56 PM
I tested my tank again last night. All my levels are good. My PH is 8.3, my nitrites are 0 ppm, my nitrates are 5 ppm and working on that. My calcium is 401 ppm BUT my Alk is killing me. It is now 1.43dKh and that dropped from 2.4 last week. I have started using SeaChem Reef builder Dry as of this week and have only dosed twice this week. Any suggestions?

hooked
03-05-2015, 10:08 PM
I tested my tank again last night. All my levels are good. My PH is 8.3, my nitrites are 0 ppm, my nitrates are 5 ppm and working on that. My calcium is 401 ppm BUT my Alk is killing me. It is now 1.43dKh and that dropped from 2.4 last week. I have started using SeaChem Reef builder Dry as of this week and have only dosed twice this week. Any suggestions?

What do you have in the tank as far as corals, clams? How are you adding the reefbuilder to the tank? Let's see if we can't get this figured out for you.

duprst
03-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Right now I have about 7 or 8 zoa, a hammer, a torch, and some other soft coral but that is it for coral or clams.

hooked
03-05-2015, 10:44 PM
Are your tester reagents outdated? Can you repeat the test results if you would test again. It appears to be pointing to a bad test. Everything is good except alk. And you don't have enough draw against it to drop that much so fast. Does it go up if you do a water change? Does it go up when you add the seachem reefbuilder? Do you have another brand of test kit to compare it to. This is your 25gallon tank, Right? Or have you upgraded to another tank?

Coral Xpressions
03-05-2015, 11:13 PM
bring a cup of water over tomorrow afternoon or sunday and I'll test Ca, Alk and Mag for ya with my salifert kits.

greaseballpaul
03-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Bush likes stool samples as well. I left a healthy stomach bile sample one new years eve. He was thrilled.

Coral Xpressions
03-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Bush likes stool samples as well. I left a healthy stomach bile sample one new years eve. He was thrilled.

How old are u agian?

pretty sure I left a sample approximately that long ago (+ or - about 9 months) at a lovely you ladies house lol

greaseballpaul
03-08-2015, 04:14 PM
How old are u agian?

pretty sure I left a sample approximately that long ago (+ or - about 9 months) at a lovely you ladies house lol
Ha!! Too old.

I know the sample you're referring too. Its like the one I left your MOM last night!!