PDA

View Full Version : New pump causing microbubbles?

fisher
02-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Bought a jebao dc12000 pump along with a few other pieces of equipment. Shortly after started getting microbubbles. Have shutoff every other piece of equipment for days at a time to see if bubbles reduced. Have also taken out return piping and equipment just installed a vinyl piece of hose to go back to tank. Sump has dual bubbletraps, filtersocks, and foam to reduce bubbles. Have tried all speeds on pump. Is it possible to do anything to pump? Haven't tried another pump as I dont have a spare. Any suggestions to try?

Levi
02-27-2015, 07:41 PM
Too much flow doesn't allow enough time for bubbles to escape in traps. My guess is new pump is faster than old pump.

fisher
02-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Old pump was suppose to be 1400gph but was on a 125 with 40 gallon sump. New pump is suppose to be adjustable between 750 gph and 3200gph. It's on a 150 with a 75 gallon sump. It runs also a 10 gallon fuge and 55w uv. Was hoping I could slow it down enough but maybe it's still flowing faster than old pump.

Levi
02-28-2015, 01:19 AM
The dc 12 000 is a beast of a pump

Joe
02-28-2015, 02:40 AM
Have you tried shutting it off and letting the water back flow down just for a little while? That might allow it to start primed best than maybe it was when you first installed it. Don't know if that would happen, but it might be worth a shot. Check where your outflow is to the display tank. It could be sucking in bubbles up there. I had bubbles from an anti siphon hole that was above the water level slightly. Pushing it slightly lower under the waterline could fix your issue. I run two DC12000 most of the time on full blast.

fisher
02-28-2015, 10:21 AM
I kinda thought it might be sucking from the outflow when it was in the 40gallon sump. Now that its in the 75gallon sump the outflow is about 8" under water. Have seen it backflow when I do water changes but have never let it suck any air. Actually love the pump but it's making me pull my hair out. I'm probably missing something simple. It doesn't have anything on intake of pump. Would a piece of foam over the intake help or is that needed.

Murfman
02-28-2015, 11:32 AM
I know my Dart return pump throws out MBs when something gets sucked into the impeller. Check inside and make sure you don't have any protrusions or extra plastic or something that might have been sucked in on the 1st day.

fisher
02-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Just checked impeller and it was clear of anything. Pulled apart and don't see any nicks or marks on impeller blades.

Joe
02-28-2015, 10:04 PM
If you use the locline for your outflow, make sure it is all snapped together tightly. Could be a little gap sucking in air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fisher
03-16-2015, 07:02 AM
Put in a different pump and no change. Cycled other equipment again and nothing different. I thought I was crazy before thinking it was my new lights but it was. Lights and other equipment came in at same time. After carefully watching tank bubbles would slowly build during the day especially on the rock. Was never home before when lights first came on.By morning there'd be a lot less bubbles. Thinking possible algae bloom. Left lights off 1 full day and all bubbles gone. They're slowly returning but I'm planning on a phosphate reactor to see if that helps. Thanks for everyone's advice in trying to cure this or if I should try something different.

Murfman
03-16-2015, 09:15 AM
Sounds like Cyano building up on the rock.

fisher
03-16-2015, 10:19 AM
The new lights are full spectrum leds. The old lights were just white with actinic. Are the full spectrum more prone to algae outbreaks?

static reef
03-16-2015, 10:26 AM
The new colors (mostly the red) will spark some changes in the current algaes that you already have. It will take a month or so to adjust. Cyano tends to be the first algae to show up.

fisher
03-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks for info. I'll also be adding a diy phosphate reactor next month to help with algae issues.