PDA

View Full Version : AI Hydra Twentysix

Rich
02-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Have any of you used this? I've come to the realization that my rebranded nat geo lights are hurting my reef. The whites are too bright and the blues are not bright enough. I wanted something that matched the house without being an eyesore, potentially making my wife more mad, and that was commercially available since solder fumes in the house/basement/garage is also a no go...

I've read a ton of reviews that all say they love it, but it's only worth it with the controller. Otherwise you're just clicking on the reset button to change power levels on the lights. That may be a bit annoying because I'd have to keep clicking until it was finally off. When I go to turn it on then I'll be at full power until I can get to the setting it should be at.

kutcha
02-24-2015, 04:00 PM
I am getting AI SoL blues I'll let you know how they are

Joe
02-24-2015, 04:14 PM
Bruby has some AI Hydra 52's. You should contact him and ask him, since those are a larger version of this.

Rich
02-24-2015, 04:43 PM
I am getting AI SoL blues I'll let you know how they are

I heard those are awesome lights. I kind of want the other colors in there that the hydra 26 has to help corals pop more. I've got an RBTA that decided it wanted to turn pink under my current LEDs, and I think that a less intense light will bring my tooth coral back from being brown.

Bruby has some AI Hydra 52's. You should contact him and ask him, since those are a larger version of this.

Awesome. Thanks for the info! I've watched about 30 different videos and I've read through countless reviews and threads now... I think I'll go ahead and make the purchase. I even went as far as looking at a comparison between the top name brand lights and I like the output/spectrum that these have. Thankfully, I have no need for a 52... and see guys running the 26 on larger setups than mine.

Levi
02-24-2015, 04:57 PM
what size tank?

I just bought some lights that Doyle (hooked) made me with a custom color like the ecotech radions and I love them! I have them hooked up to my Apex to control them but you wouldnt have to do that. You could have them on timers and just on and off without the ramping feature. This will most likely be a cheaper option and will give you the ability for a custom color. I have a reefbreeders IT2060 on my wifes tank and will be getting rid of it for another set of lights from Doyle. I am just waiting on a quote from Doyle for the wifes tank lights and then I will list my 2060 for sale on the forums.

BTW they are dimmable without a controller

Rich
02-25-2015, 11:03 AM
what size tank?

I just bought some lights that Doyle (hooked) made me with a custom color like the ecotech radions and I love them! I have them hooked up to my Apex to control them but you wouldnt have to do that. You could have them on timers and just on and off without the ramping feature. This will most likely be a cheaper option and will give you the ability for a custom color. I have a reefbreeders IT2060 on my wifes tank and will be getting rid of it for another set of lights from Doyle. I am just waiting on a quote from Doyle for the wifes tank lights and then I will list my 2060 for sale on the forums.

BTW they are dimmable without a controller

It's a 29g. Eventually, depending on what happens with my job and stuff, I'll use my 75g as my reef tank and not have a freshwater one. I find my freshwater to be extremely boring since every single fish in there hides in caves... even the mid/top swimmers...

Redneck_Reefer
02-25-2015, 08:50 PM
Bulk Reef Supply just dropped the price on both the 26 and 52 by $100 today.

Rich
02-25-2015, 09:49 PM
Bulk Reef Supply just dropped the price on both the 26 and 52 by $100 today.

I saw that and ordered right away! Now I just need to wait until payday for a controller... that's tomorrow...

Murfman
02-26-2015, 10:42 AM
Prime comes out soon, had a 20"x20" footprint and is only $199

JimG
02-26-2015, 10:45 AM
I'm gonna have an ai controller up for grabs here this weekend. Hooking up my ai module to the apex so I'll no longer need it. It's the latest controller they have aside from the director.

Levi
02-26-2015, 02:04 PM
Prime comes out soon, had a 20"x20" footprint and is only $199
Also its a joint venture on a light between hydra and radion both ecotech and ai went together on the prime.

Rich
02-26-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm gonna have an ai controller up for grabs here this weekend. Hooking up my ai module to the apex so I'll no longer need it. It's the latest controller they have aside from the director.

Which controller? Can you send me a text with price and pics? Apparently my lights are delayed by weather... but I just saw the UPS guy drive by...

I_Made_You_Read_This
03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
I am building a 225g tank 72" 27" 27". I am at the point I need to order lighting. I have been reading a lot about the cheap Chinese lights and quality lights. I would love to get the AI Hydra 52s but they are out of reach for me. So I have been looking at the regular Hydras but was not sure if they can penetrate a 27" tall tank. The Hydra 26 can for sure but then I am concerned that I will not get enough spread. The regular hydras can by upgraded down the road to the 52s but it is still expensive to do that. So finally to my question. Who has experience with the AI hydras/26/52 that can share their experiences with the lights? Second question is should I just buy 6 cheap Chinese lights and replace them as they crap out? I just don't like the idea of having 12 power cords. Or maybe there are lights out there that I am not aware of and you guys can direct me to look there? My tippy top max budget is about $1200. (wife will still kill me) Oh I was planning on having a mixed reef tank but was hoping that I could get lights strong enough to do an sps tank if I wanted to.

Kio707
03-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Lol... Just responded to this on MASC.

David

I_Made_You_Read_This
03-23-2015, 11:59 AM
I just asked you a question on there too. :)

Murfman
03-23-2015, 12:23 PM
I used 1st generation Evolution LEDs had no issues with them. The newest version has different optics and are programmable. I currently have Maxspect Razor 120s on my 300 (3 of them) and I love them. Completely programmable, light weight heat sinks and two channel adjustment for colors.

Coral Xpressions
03-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Have you looked into kessil? I've got 360 narrows but can also get the wide angles also. Hit up bloodhound (paul) as he's running kessils now

kmellon
03-24-2015, 10:52 AM
I love my maxspect razors, but I have the wrong size for the application. I'm running two of the the 27" units on a 4' tank and they don't fit well. I like bloodhound's setup and would love to either move towards the 4' maxpect or the kessils. Just don't have the funds to do either at this time.

I_Made_You_Read_This
03-24-2015, 03:07 PM
I was told the kessil was lacking in the uv spectrum. I also wanted something that could provide lunar lights which the kessil can not. I do like the ease of mounting them. Will the wides work well on a 27" tall tank?

89delta
03-24-2015, 05:11 PM
You could always go a custom built led system. Joe uses the IT series of LED units I sell and loves em.

Romebaby
03-24-2015, 07:07 PM
I was told the kessil was lacking in the uv spectrum.

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/01/06/kessil-a160we-led-spotlight-review-the-best-gets-even-better/

The kessil160 has 7.5x the uv of the hydra26 according to this article.

719bloodhound
03-24-2015, 07:33 PM
I was told the kessil was lacking in the uv spectrum. I also wanted something that could provide lunar lights which the kessil can not. I do like the ease of mounting them. Will the wides work well on a 27" tall tank?

You can always do something like this for your lunar lights

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2215243&highlight=kessil

kmellon
03-26-2015, 02:24 PM
You can always do something like this for your lunar lights

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2215243&highlight=kessil

Dude, you stole my thunder. :) When are you setting up yours with one of these.

719bloodhound
03-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Idk man,I have Doyle looking into it