PDA

View Full Version : Taking small scratches out of glass

fisher
02-23-2015, 10:19 AM
Not sure if this is the right section to post this. Was wondering if anybody has used cerium oxide and a buffer to get small scratches out of glass? I've heard it takes along time. If it does work I don't mind putting the time in. If it doesn't work is there anything else to try. I do already have cerium oxide and felt pads. Trying to reclimate my old tank to give to my son.

Levi
02-23-2015, 10:28 AM
I have the buffing pads for a hand drill to buff glass. The paste is old and dried out but the pads are fine. You are welcome to borrow it.

Joe
02-23-2015, 10:30 AM
If the scratch is deep enough where your fingernail catches in when you scratch it, it's not doable. I have used it once before and for scuffs and light scratches, it works. There are some DIY videos out there to show you how to do it. The big things are keeping it moist so you don't overheat it, letting the polishing happen instead of trying to power into it in a hurry. If you have the stuff and most of the scratches are light, I think it's worth the time.

fisher
02-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Cool thanks. I have some larger scratches but mostly worried about the finer scratches. Levi I have like 12 of the felt pads that hook to a drill already if you think those will work. The cerium oxide I have is a powder that is mixed with water. Was having a problem with it running down but now the tank can be turned on it's side.

Levi
02-23-2015, 11:20 AM
I have never done glass, I got the kit from Kmellon here on scmas. They aren't felt pads, or if they are they are thin, super dense almost hard pads. I have the book that explains how to use the kit to polish glass.

fisher
02-23-2015, 11:31 AM
The ones I have are pretty dense. I'll give them a try and if it doesn't work I'll let you know.

Levi
02-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Ok sounds good

static reef
02-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Good question. I have wondered about this for a while. Def keep us posted

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk