PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy

Rich
02-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Hi, my name is Rich (really creative username to match). I'm fairly new to reef aquariums and have put my faith into John over at Mr. Aqua to help me along the way. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from everyone. Right now I just have a 29g reef until I can afford to get something bigger. It's currently stocked with a skunk cleaner, paired Oc. Clowns, a valentine puffer that my wife wanted (pain in the butt), 3 small frags of zoas, a tooth coral, a torch coral, gsp, a RBTA, a bunch of nassarius snails, 1 turbo snail, and blue/purple mushrooms.

The tank has had some fatalities... my blenny decided that he only wanted film algae and would not eat anything else and died after about 3 weeks. I had a favites brain coral that suddenly turned into brown mush over night. I had more turbos, but the puffer decided that his food was not enough... I was worried about my RBTA for a while because he lost size and color after 3 months of being in the tank. He's starting to regain his color and returns to a larger size for 2 days after feeding.

I met a couple over at Mr. Aqua that told me about the website. Unfortunately, I'm really bad with names.

hooked
02-21-2015, 12:08 PM
Welcome to the group, Rich. We are having a club meeting next weekend at Levi"s house. You should plan to come, all are welcome.

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?17652-February-28th-Meeting

Rich
02-21-2015, 12:15 PM
Welcome to the group, Rich. We are having a club meeting next weekend at Levi"s house. You should plan to come, all are welcome.

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?17652-February-28th-Meeting

I'll try to make it. Depending on the weather the wife will make me work on the house. If I do, I'll bring my lightsaber. :)

Just_Tim
02-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Welcome and don't hesitate to field those tank questions here. Mr Aqua still tells people that fish only grow to the size of the tank.

I am America and So can You

charleshardy5
02-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Welcome! Would be great to meet you at the meeting, bring the wifey with!

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

Rich
02-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Welcome and don't hesitate to field those tank questions here. Mr Aqua still tells people that fish only grow to the size of the tank.

I haven't had that issue. My wife wanted me to build a tank with all of the Finding Nemo characters... I knew that wasn't happening. I saw a new regal blue tang that was smaller than my clowns at Mr. Aqua and he advised against it like I thought he would.

Welcome! Would be great to meet you at the meeting, bring the wifey with!

She's preggo and miserable. She won't be fun.

charleshardy5
02-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Haha, she can sulk in the pregers corner with Levis wife and my girlfriend

Murfman
02-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Welcome Zoomie Rich. (yes, I saw your IP resolved to Gunter Annex)

Rich
02-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Haha, she can sulk in the pregers corner with Levis wife and my girlfriend

LOL.

On the topic of help... About the biggest thing I need help with is aquascaping. I can't get my rocks to where I like them, or where they look good. Anybody willing to help out if I provide the beer? I've tried using reef epoxy and it basically just turned into chunks of red and grey junk in the tank that I can to catch with a net and turkey baster...

Just_Tim
02-21-2015, 12:52 PM
As far as getting rocks to stick, I've only had good luck with pinning them using thick acrylic rod. My main display is not pinned at all. It took reconfiguring the rock so it was interlocking. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/21/c51ea42bfe50ce60219f1e1ad6ca0f44.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/21/2b65e0f54fdee7550398f44ad5b548cb.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/21/3222cc62714d73022206a078c4f37366.jpg

Murfman
02-21-2015, 12:54 PM
have Mama sit there and look at you make rock designs and say yay or nay on it.

Joe
02-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Here is an awesome thread on design from an artist's point of view. Murfman is right though artist or no artist, get your wife to okay it. That way when you want to upgrade to a 500 gallon system, she'll say yes.

If you are using epoxy, try putting some super glue gel on the epoxy right before you stick it to the rock. That helps hold it in place.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/97209-tips-tricks-creating-amazing-aquascapes.html

Rich
02-21-2015, 01:26 PM
I've tried that. She just stares at me and says it's whatever I want and walks away.

greaseballpaul
02-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Welcome. Sometimes it takes a while to get the wife addicted.... Er, into the hobby. Once you begin having luck with growth of frags you add, stop buying and just take her along to browse the stores or websites. Help keep non reef friendly things out of her site and eventually she will begin to point out things she finds appealing. Once her picks begin to do well in the tank, you're halfway there.

Sharkboy99999
02-21-2015, 02:20 PM
I interlock them then us putty or super glue gel to make sure it stays

Sent by me

static reef
02-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Welcome to he club. Glad to have you

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

719bloodhound
02-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Welcome to the club!! Aquascaping sucks lol

Kitten1220
02-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Welcome!! It just takes time and a lot of rearranging to get it the way you like. Trust me, it took awhile to get ours to look good. I think it was changed and then changed again several times over a week or so before he liked it. :) good luck.

Levi
02-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Welcome Rich! I love the username strategy here and applied the same thinking to mine! Clowns being bigger than a blue hippo tang is not an issue, it's other tangs of the same class or scientific name. Mainly acanthurus and zebrasoma tangs are the ones you have to add ant the same time or only do 1 of.

Another good place to visit for corals and fish is Coral Xpressions. He is a local sponsor of the club and his prices will knock your socks off. Also he will help make sure you aren't adding fish to the system that won't work well. Another good one for super bright corals is ReefKoi! Up in denver my favorite store is Aquatic Art.

Rich
02-22-2015, 07:07 PM
Welcome Rich! I love the username strategy here and applied the same thinking to mine! Clowns being bigger than a blue hippo tang is not an issue, it's other tangs of the same class or scientific name. Mainly acanthurus and zebrasoma tangs are the ones you have to add ant the same time or only do 1 of.

Another good place to visit for corals and fish is Coral Xpressions. He is a local sponsor of the club and his prices will knock your socks off. Also he will help make sure you aren't adding fish to the system that won't work well. Another good one for super bright corals is ReefKoi! Up in denver my favorite store is Aquatic Art.

Awesome! Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I actually stopped by and met SlaterJ and picked up some of the xenia. He was also super nice and gave me a frag of Kenya tree and a test kit to see if mine is being all weird.

j5fisher
03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Welcome