PDA

View Full Version : EcoTech QuietDrive

Levi
02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
http://ecotechtalk.org/threads/9/

Not sure how a QD Driver will make the old motor and old wetside run more silent but it looks like the starting price for the MP40 QD will be 349.99 and the flow difference between the old mp40 and the new one is incredible. It is also rumored on reefs.com that the new mp40 has a gyre type flow pattern because of the new wetside and impeller design. Not sure how that works.

static reef
02-12-2015, 09:29 AM
Sounds like a business is in fear of the girl pump and finally realized that they are over charging. Interesting

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

kutcha
02-12-2015, 09:46 AM
I don't see how a gyro flow pattern would help in such a small design

Levi
02-12-2015, 02:50 PM
There is a debate as to which type of flow is better, gyre flow or random undertow type of flow. Gyre flow is a circular current in the tank, always the same direction and not random.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1563053&page=6

This is a build that uses a gyre flow with tunze power heads. This can easily be accomplished using koralia power heads as well. The new design of the MP40 wetside and impeller is supposed to present the option to do a more direct flow (claims 40% increased flow) which would mimic more of the tunze type of punch through the wall of water as opposed to the old mp40 push of water in a large cone shape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLkW1-6HbQk

Tunze did a nice demo of the flow pattern as well as showing pictures of the ocean and flow patterns over coral reefs.

lsaint
02-13-2015, 08:40 AM
For $50 per unit i might try the upgrade. Ya i dont understand how a upgrade will make it quite too

Levi
02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
Upgrading the dry side and wet side and controller, it's the same cost lol

charleshardy5
02-13-2015, 01:53 PM
I'll prolly just do the controller for a while, to get rid of the noise. Eventually upgrade wetside, then finally drive side once the es style bites the bullet.

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

static reef
02-13-2015, 02:27 PM
I'll prolly just do the controller for a while, to get rid of the noise. Eventually upgrade wetside, then finally drive side once the es style bites the bullet.

These pumps are not that loud to begin with. I have 4 in my living room and there is no need to turn the TV volume higher. The flow pattern change is what I am curious about. Notice they did not upgrade the main issue with the wet side, which is the plastic bearings that they put in them, thus making us buy a completely new wet side instead of replacing a bearing.

Keep in mind that the gyre is a sweeping flow that will "in theory" allow sps corals to receive flow on one side of the colony. This will allow you to place corals in a specific spot and somewhat know which way the coral will grow ie. polyp colonies and tabling acros. I know that it does have a random mode but.... I am going to continue to wait and see the long term affects on coral growth. These pumps are great for a tank that do not have a sand bed, but how successful will they be with a Fiji pink grain? Gyres are not yet controllable by my apex therefore, there is another button on another controller that I have to push before maintenance, pictures, target feeding, etc...

The new mp40's sound sexy but, can they really stand up to their new hype or is this just another ploy to regain control of the wave maker market. It does seem that they are stronger than the previous models which scares me. I have two mp40's that ramp up to 80% at their peak in a random mode for less than 4 hours at a time in a 6 foot tank. Do they really need to be stronger or does this just help sell more pumps? If the bearings that go out in the current wet side are used in the new model is it actually worth the money. I understand that the new models are utilizing a new propeller to change the water flow pattern. Does this new propeller apply more pressure to an already proven chappy plastic bearing?

To each is their own, I guess. I will hang back and see what everyone says. 15 years ago every tank was stocked with brown sps, amino acids were for body builders, and everyone owned halides. Now there is a button on my phone to do a 100 gallon water change. Regardless both of these pumps appear to be great and I am excited to see what the final outcome will be.

I obviously love the technology, however, I am not ready to be the first to jump. I love my mp40's and have great growth with every family of corals. Regardless, flow is still flow, and some of the most beautiful tanks around the world still use a koralia

I'm out

charleshardy5
02-13-2015, 02:40 PM
These pumps are not that loud to begin with. I have 4 in my living room and there is no need to turn the TV volume higher. The flow pattern change is what I am curious about. Notice they did not upgrade the main issue with the wet side, which is the plastic bearings that they put in them, thus making us buy a completely new wet side instead of replacing a bearing.

Keep in mind that the gyre is a sweeping flow that will "in theory" allow sps corals to receive flow on one side of the colony. This will allow you to place corals in a specific spot and somewhat know which way the coral will grow ie. polyp colonies and tabling acros. I know that it does have a random mode but.... I am going to continue to wait and see the long term affects on coral growth. These pumps are great for a tank that do not have a sand bed, but how successful will they be with a Fiji pink grain? Gyres are not yet controllable by my apex therefore, there is another button on another controller that I have to push before maintenance, pictures, target feeding, etc...

The new mp40's sound sexy but, can they really stand up to their new hype or is this just another ploy to regain control of the wave maker market. It does seem that they are stronger than the previous models which scares me. I have two mp40's that ramp up to 80% at their peak in a random mode for less than 4 hours at a time in a 6 foot tank. Do they really need to be stronger or does this just help sell more pumps? If the bearings that go out in the current wet side are used in the new model is it actually worth the money. I understand that the new models are utilizing a new propeller to change the water flow pattern. Does this new propeller apply more pressure to an already proven chappy plastic bearing?

To each is their own, I guess. I will hang back and see what everyone says. 15 years ago every tank was stocked with brown sps, amino acids were for body builders, and everyone owned halides. Now there is a button on my phone to do a 100 gallon water change. Regardless both of these pumps appear to be great and I am excited to see what the final outcome will be.

I obviously love the technology, however, I am not ready to be the first to jump. I love my mp40's and have great growth with every family of corals. Regardless, flow is still flow, and some of the most beautiful tanks around the world still use a koralia

I'm out

I agree that it's a move to take back the market, what better way than to release a new pump and ALSO make existing models upgradeable so owners don't have to shell out full cost ya know?

lsaint
02-13-2015, 08:40 PM
from what I under stand for the mp10's and 60's all you replace is the driver. the mp40's is a total replace. But talking to ecotec and no response form Apex(yet) no knows if it will work with the apex and there WXM so I will hold off or a conformation form one of the company

lsaint
02-13-2015, 08:41 PM
and if you upgrade any unit you get the "gyre" mode

lsaint
02-15-2015, 01:25 PM
So i talked to ecotech and neptune systems and they both dont know if the new quite drive will work with the apex WXM

Levi
02-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Firmware update should fix it

lsaint
02-15-2015, 09:04 PM
You would think.