PDA

View Full Version : T5 spectrum

Sharkboy99999
02-04-2015, 03:11 PM
I need some help for what t5 spectrum I should do . I'm trying to get best colors out of all my corals with the spectrum ( I'm sure everyone is ) . I know different bulbs bring out the colors differently . I want most of the colors to pop not just green or not just red . I don't really know any thang in spectrum so if you know of any good articles that would be great

Sent by me

Levi
02-04-2015, 04:05 PM
actually already have a post about this in the "lighting" section

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?17525-best-T5-bulbs

check out the link that firedawg posted and look at each bulb for what it is designed to do

Sharkboy99999
02-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Thanks . Does any one have any old 24w t5 bulbs that you guys like that I can try out before I go buy different bulbs to see what I like best . Right now I would like to see or try a ATI coral plus , blue plus and purple plus

Sent by me

2thmaker
02-05-2015, 08:17 PM
As for spectrum, you have to decide what you want your corals (and type, sps, lps, polyps) to do; growth or color. Knowing what you want will help to decide on how to balance the spectrum. Bulbs IN The 10K range give off a yellow tint but good growth. As you move to the 20K range, the light has a blue color which gives good color but less growth. The ATI blue plus will accentuate the blues and purple (I believe) and give off a 420nm spectrum. The purple plus will accentuate the red and oranges (don't remember the nm off top of head, but ATI site will). The color pop/glow comes from the actinic bulbs (460nm). The blue/purple plus bulbs will wash out the actinic and you won't even know its on unless that's the only one on. The giesemann coral plus (think that's the name) puts out a 11K spectrum (growth). Toss in a blue plus and it will offset the yellow look of the bulb (to the eye). Add in your purple plus and it will balance everything out and (to me) gives a nice crisp white light that gives color pop and growth.

I don't have any 24" bulbs, but I have some 48". If you want to see what they look like on a tank, you can check out my tank.

There are lots good articles explaining light spectrum in way more depth than I did. Check out the spectrums (spikes on the graph) for each bulb. Kind of try and overlay the different spectrum to where your combo will have spikes across the graph. And of course, it's all about what looks good to you.

That is the method/approach i took to deciding my bulbs. Hope that helped a little.

Sharkboy99999
02-18-2015, 02:48 PM
I think I'm going to go with 3 ATI coral plus , 2 ATI true actinic , one purple plus . Any one see any thing wrong with it ?

Sent by me

Sharkboy99999
02-18-2015, 02:51 PM
I may switch the 3 coral plus to aqua blue special

Sent by me