PDA

View Full Version : Sump setup

duprst
01-22-2015, 11:12 AM
I am in the process of setting up my 75G tank. I have about a 20G sump but I am not sure how to set it up or what really goes in it. I know so stuff called chaeto macro algae or something like that goes in it but I don't know where to get it or what else I will need. The 75G is plumed for the sump and I have started filling the tank as of 2 days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Murfman
01-22-2015, 11:59 AM
How does your tank drain into the sump? Is the return pump powerful enough to pump water back into the tank? How high are you going to let water go into the sump? The sump needs to hold whatever water drains from the tank when you have a power outage.

duprst
01-22-2015, 12:11 PM
My tank is already presetup for a sump. The drain in on the back in the middle of the tank with an inlet and outlet. I have a pump that I bought from a LFS that is powerful enough to pump back up. Now as far as how high the water goes in the sump I don't know because I don't have all the water in the tank and I am not sure how to check that. I will have to take pix tonight and post so that you can see what I have.

Campbell
01-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Definitely need pics and I wouldn't rush anything, including starting to run water, if you're unsure of how it is all going to work. Some things have to be run to test out but I would at least get a pretty solid idea of configuration before trying to start running the system...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murfman
01-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Here is the issue, if you have xxx gallons flowing into your tank and only xxy gallons flowing back, you will overflow your sump. If you have xxy gallons flowing into your sump and xxx flowing back into the tank, you will run the sump dry. You need to know how many gallons per hour your pump is vs how many gallons your overflow is. If the pump is more gph than the overflow, put a ball valve in line so you can adjust the return flow to match your overflow.

Romebaby
01-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Google "sump design". You'll need skimmer, refugium (chaeto), return pump, heater, rock rubble or ceramic beads/balls. Don't fill your tank all the way until you've got the sump all set up.

Once the sump is all set up and you're in the final stage of adding water, fill the tank all the way so it spills down into the sump. Watch the last chamber (return pump) and put in just enough water so that the pump isn't sucking air. Stop adding water and shut off the return pump. The water level in your 4th chamber will rise and as long as it doesn't overfill the sump you're OK. You should find that you can add a gallon or so more water and still be OK. When you get your water level set, mark the water line on the sump in the return pump chamber with the pump running. This is where you'll want to keep it with top off water or ATO. I'd have a Mag 5 or equiv as a return pump for a 75 gallon. You can check the specs on your pump and compare, a bit or or less powerful would be ok too.

duprst
01-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Ok so this is the sump I have under my 75g but I am unsure as to where everything other than the pump goes. 26462647

charleshardy5
01-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Furst chamber skimmer, middle chamber live rock or macro, last chamber return pump. I also keep my heaters in my sump, temp probes. Pretty much any equipment you don't want in your display you could potentially hide in your sump.

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

duprst
01-23-2015, 10:52 AM
I tried to upload the picture of my sump but they didn't turn out right. My sump seems to be on a two chamber, top flow down and then over to the pump and back out. I'm not sure if you can tell in this photo. The water inlet comes from the top, through the blue part, than in to the bottom and over to the other chamber with the pump and back up.

duprst
01-23-2015, 10:53 AM
I tried to upload the picture of my sump but they didn't turn out right. My sump seems to be on a two chamber, top flow down and then over to the pump and back out. I'm not sure if you can tell in this photo. The water inlet comes from the top, through the blue part, than in to the bottom and over to the other chamber with the pump and back up.

Murfman
01-23-2015, 05:23 PM
That is an Amiricle wet/dry filter. http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/we4wieners/media/Amiraclesump.jpg.html

Campbell
01-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Google, Google, Google...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk