PDA

View Full Version : Anybody bored and help me out.

howard24
01-19-2015, 01:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DLmMVL5.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/A9y0cCD.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/1w5TmvL.jpg

I have never have set up a sump before and need help. I want to make sure its done right. Please :)

Luke W.
01-19-2015, 01:41 PM
looks awesome. I want to help you but I am not sure that i know how to set up a sump correctly either. I had the skimmer in the compartment of the left, where the water came in, and them chaeto and macro algae, sand and rock in the middle, and the return on the left. Put any media where the water comes in and keep it full to keep it quiet. Add reactors or other things to the sides to make it even better. I know that some people on the forum are pros at this and will be able to help you.

Luke W.
01-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Also, did you wash the tank out with fresh water first? I would recommend doing that.

charleshardy5
01-19-2015, 01:50 PM
I would recommend investing the time to get the tank drilled first, I have not personally used an overflow box myself, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

lsaint
01-19-2015, 01:58 PM
+1 to that!!

howard24
01-19-2015, 02:10 PM
I would recommend investing the time to get the tank drilled first, I have not personally used an overflow box myself, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Your Resident Scruffy Looking Nerf Herder

Anyone on here drill tanks and is that something i could do here.

Joe
01-19-2015, 02:35 PM
I've used drilled and non drilled. Hands down, it's worth getting it drilled. I bought a drilled tank. I've never drilled one myself.

howard24
01-19-2015, 02:46 PM
id be interested in getting it done if someone on here can do it.

greaseballpaul
01-19-2015, 04:01 PM
There are people on here with glass bits. Be patient and someone will chime in.

....Sharks with frickin lasers.... aiptasia lasers.

Murfman
01-19-2015, 04:09 PM
All kinds of threads on here on how to drill. Youtube has tons of video on how to do it as well.

howard24
01-19-2015, 05:55 PM
All kinds of threads on here on how to drill. Youtube has tons of video on how to do it as well.

I have watched a few videos but I dont want to end up cracking the tank not ever doing it before. I was hoping someone with experience could help.

Just_Tim
01-19-2015, 06:41 PM
I have watched a few videos but I dont want to end up cracking the tank not ever doing it before. I was hoping someone with experience could help.

Going the DIY route is only really worth the experience if you actually diy. It's completely worth learning for yourself and a good glass but can be ordered for roughly $15. Otherwise, if you'd like to steer clear of the DIY route then buying a reef ready tank or using a hob overflow would be better.

I am America and So can You

greaseballpaul
01-19-2015, 08:35 PM
Going the DIY route is only really worth the experience if you actually diy. It's completely worth learning for yourself and a good glass but can be ordered for roughly $15. Otherwise, if you'd like to steer clear of the DIY route then buying a reef ready tank or using a hob overflow would be better.

Only thing I'll add is at $15 invested, (this being your first time drilling) its worth it. Sharp bits speed the process considerably and reduce the risk of you becoming impatient. Glass drilling isn't terribly difficult. As with everything reefkeeping related it takes time and patience. Now you don't really want to drill a smaller tank (thin glass) for your first one because there is a better chance of you having it split on you. If that happens, there goes your confidence in your own ability. Older tanks are softer, thicker glass and in my opinion the better tank to own. My kids still manage to break them but it takes them longer most of the time (knock knock goes the wood). Watch a couple videos, order you some bits and go for it! There is nothing as satisfying as saying "I did this".

Just_Tim
01-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Only thing I'll add is at $15 invested, (this being your first time drilling) its worth it. Sharp bits speed the process considerably and reduce the risk of you becoming impatient. Glass drilling isn't terribly difficult. As with everything reefkeeping related it takes time and patience. Now you don't really want to drill a smaller tank (thin glass) for your first one because there is a better chance of you having it split on you. If that happens, there goes your confidence in your own ability. Older tanks are softer, thicker glass and in my opinion the better tank to own. My kids still manage to break them but it takes them longer most of the time (knock knock goes the wood). Watch a couple videos, order you some bits and go for it! There is nothing as satisfying as saying "I did this".

+1 to dat. It's a great sense of accomplishment.

Levi
01-19-2015, 08:57 PM
id be interested in getting it done if someone on here can do it.
I have bits, like murf said feel free to youtube it. I have been drilling tanks for over two years now and have yet to crack one. It's all about patience. Also with a larger tank and thicker glass there is way more room for error as the thicker glass is not as fragile as thinner glass. The first hole I ever drilled took me nearly 30 minutes but like greaseballpaul said the sense of accomplishment afterwards is amazing.

howard24
01-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Im with you on this trust me. I just refinished my kitchen table looks awesome, feels great about it. I just dont know if its tempered or how to tell. I have the hang on the back overflow box now.

Murfman
01-19-2015, 10:45 PM
Im with you on this trust me. I just refinished my kitchen table looks awesome, feels great about it. I just dont know if its tempered or how to tell. I have the hang on the back overflow box now.

Tanks are usually only tempered on the bottom pane and not the sides or ends. If it is a standard tank, and not custom built, It is regular glass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiD7C0hLX4

Murfman
01-19-2015, 10:45 PM

Tanks are usually only tempered on the bottom pane and not the sides or ends. If it is a standard tank, and not custom built, It is regular glass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiD7C0hLX4

howard24
01-20-2015, 07:07 AM
Sweet, thank