PDA

View Full Version : Doser and ATO for dummy...

ShankStripedLyretail
12-29-2014, 02:29 PM
So I've been debating on whether or not I need a doser and an automatic top off for my 55 whenever it gets setup and maybe adding one to my 180.

Problem is I know what they do, but not how they work, what's best for which setup, how they should be added to the system etc.

The 55 will be a mixed reef (LPS and softies) and will not have a sump. My 180 does and I will add softies whenever the CCS is removed. I manually top off both tanks everyday and do regular (10% weekly) water changes with IO RC in order to maintain regular essential element levels...

I've recently read on my other forum that the "reef" salts aren't worth the extra money and do nothing but raise the ca2/kh levels which feed bacteria in a tank with high nutrient levels. So in lieu of this information, I'm confused on the topic of dosing vs salt mix.

Any pointers appreciated. I'm new to this equipment. Thanks, guys!

Levi
12-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Good question...DOYLE....

Hooked can probably give the best answer

hooked
12-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Here is a good read on dosing. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/chemistry

As far as auto top off. There are several budget ways to go. I am using 3 different methods on 3 different systems. You are welcom to swing by and look at them next time you are in town.

ShankStripedLyretail
12-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks, guys :)

Man, I'm gonna have loads of fun whenever I take my organic chem class o_o reading that article mind = blown happens every time when I try to understand the relationship between calk, alk, mag and pH... I've still got so much to learn and a long way to go.

Thanks, Doyle, I'll have to stop by whenever I start looking at and buying equipment... Maybe by then the roads won't be covered in snow

hooked
12-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Here is a link to several really good articles that help explain alot.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-chemistry-randy-holmes-farley/164651-mcarrolls-favorite-chemistry-links.html

ShankStripedLyretail
12-29-2014, 04:30 PM
I feel like a newb all over again haha hope I don't get run over by anyone whenever I go to a meeting.

static reef
12-29-2014, 05:13 PM
That is what the club is for. Believe me when I tell you that the senior members learn just as much from our newer members (even if it "what not to do").

ATO- check out doyle

CALC,ALK,Mag- This is easier than you think. Lets do some interaction....
one
(open both your hands and look at them)
the left hand is Calcium
the right hand is Alkalinity
Hard corals need both of these at the same time in order to grow a skeleton structure which is where magnesium comes int play
(now interlock your hands together)
Magnesium allows the calcium and alkalinity to be consumed at the same time

There are numerous people in this club and the entire hobby that have proved that the recommended numbers are nothing but a guideline and should be followed but they are not an absolute.

ShankStripedLyretail
12-29-2014, 05:32 PM
CALC,ALK,Mag- This is easier than you think. Lets do some interaction....
one
(open both your hands and look at them)
the left hand is Calcium
the right hand is Alkalinity
Hard corals need both of these at the same time in order to grow a skeleton structure which is where magnesium comes int play
(now interlock your hands together)
Magnesium allows the calcium and alkalinity to be consumed at the same time

Thanks you for this, it really solidifies the message from an article I was reading from reefingmag.

I'm really glad I joined the forum. All the feedback is awesome! Definitely looking forward to when I can attend a meeting.

The numbers I'm getting from my current salt mix are great compared to what I was getting before... This is what spurred the question of "do I really need a doser".

Levi
01-08-2015, 01:49 PM
nice way to explain it JJ

ShankStripedLyretail
01-08-2015, 05:22 PM
nice way to explain it JJ

Yeah, really simplified it for me :p

So I've been thinking of using a JBJ ATO setup (or something similar) with a 5.5g tank as the reservoir in the stand. Thinking of a HOB fuge (probably used; if I was handy I'd love to build one :p) on the left side of tank as well with a Finnex? refugium fixture on an external timer. I haven't researched the light much, more reading due on this. Thinking of putting the float sensor in here with the top off tubing but not sure if that's a great idea...

Not gonna make the jump on this stuff til I check out Doyle's setups (thanks for offering the insight btw!). Looking online, it's awesome seeing all the different methods people employ to accomplish something.

Just_Tim
01-08-2015, 07:14 PM
You'll be happy with the Finnex lights. They are worth the cost. As for a hang on Fuge you can always use an AquaClear 70 or larger. Plenty of YouTube videos on that.

I am America and So can You

ShankStripedLyretail
01-08-2015, 07:26 PM
You'll be happy with the Finnex lights. They are worth the cost. As for a hang on Fuge you can always use an AquaClear 70 or larger. Plenty of YouTube videos on that.

Thanks, Tim :)

We've got a 10" finnex that we use on our QT and it's served its purpose. Pretty low profile which is why I was looking at them.

Also have looked at the Aquaclear mod I was thinking of ordering a 110 and using it but had reservations about how much flow it puts out. I want as big a fuge as I can get away with for pod production and macro algaes, but I know the 110s impeller can't be swapped with the rest of the models... :idea:

Just_Tim
01-08-2015, 07:29 PM
I liked my 70 and a 2 gallon hanging Fuge makes me nervous with that weight pulling on the part of your tank that's not engineered for that.

ShankStripedLyretail
01-08-2015, 07:35 PM
I liked my 70 and a 2 gallon hanging Fuge makes me nervous with that weight pulling on the part of your tank that's not engineered for that.

2 gallons?! My skimmer doesn't even hold that much water when it's off. Even without sand in it that would be insane... it's going on the 12" side of a 55 so probably not a great idea! Guess I'll just get the 70 and drop a smaller impeller in it :p

Just_Tim
01-08-2015, 07:38 PM
I'm estimating but they do hold quite a volume.

Just_Tim
01-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Can't wait to see the outcome you're working though :)

ShankStripedLyretail
01-08-2015, 08:09 PM
Can't wait to see the outcome you're working though :)

Thanks! Me, too. I feel like its gonna be a long way off, but when I start to get everything moved from my 30, it'll be set up pretty fast... It's just the wait to acquire all the equipment!

Actually, I'll probably be better off with the 70 as far as size goes :p it's 8" long, I should be able to put my 10" finnex light on top easily and with the way the LEDs are placed on the fixture have no light spilling :) gotta love having extra stuff piled up somewhere just waiting to be used.