PDA

View Full Version : New to Reef Life and loving it!!

duprst
12-26-2014, 10:25 PM
Hello, I'm Duane and new to the Reef Tank hobby. I currently have a 25G tank but am looking to upgrade to at least a 75G. Any suggestions would be very welcomed. I have had my 25G up and running for about 6 months and am currently fighting an algae problem from hell.

charleshardy5
12-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Welcome bud. Little bit of info on your system could help she'd some light on your algae issue. There's lots of folks here from all walks with great experiences to share and knowledge to help. This is an awesome community and we're glad to have ya

Prepare Yourself! http://tinyurl.com/nsxj9k3

Just_Tim
12-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Is the hair algae growing on more than just that rock? It really doesn't look too bad. Are you running a skimmer? Refugium? What do you feed and how often?

Joe
12-26-2014, 10:55 PM
Welcome to the club!

static reef
12-27-2014, 01:55 AM
Welcome Duane. Glad to have you. I look forward to hearing more about your tank and hopefully seeing you create a build thread for that 75 in the near future.

From the looks of your tank i am guessing that you have one or a few problems with your tank that are resulting in the growth of negative algae.

You are introducing phosphates in your water column by over feeding, natural sunlight, tap water instead of rodi, your lights are to old, your lights are on for to long each day, or a lack of water movement. More than likely for a newer reefer, it is combination of a few issues. Algae problems are not fixed overnight. Unfortunately 3-6 months of constant and good husbandry tasks will bring your phosphates to 0 and the positive result of 0 green hair algae.

The key is to find out what started the boom while reducing phosphates at the same time.

Some tricks to help you reduce the gha.

1. You can immediately start with a 20% water change every week for a month and 10% a week after that. This will slowly decrease the amount of phosphates that you currently have without shocking your corals and fish to fast.

2. Feed meats for a while instead of flake or pellets (only feed what your fish can consume in 30 sec.)

3. Turn your lights on for 5 hours a day until the problem is solved and slowly ramp them back up to 8-10 hours (depending on your corals' reaction) after you issue goes away.

4. Change your filter pads daily until issue is solved.

5. Invest in a slightly larger clean up crew. Banded trochus snails, red leg hermits, sand sifting stars, nassarius snails, and sea slugs all consume green hair algae (sea slugs will starve once their job is complete so i dont recommend you buy one for your size tank,) and help you prevent future outbreaks.

Sorry for the book. Hope this helps.

Let us know more about your tank, live stock, lighting, filtration, and feeding habits. Do you buy your water from a lfs or make your own?

Welcome to the family.

greaseballpaul
03-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Just posted in your alk issue thread and realized you're new. I figured I should drop in here and welcome you as well. You've found a great group of folks.

"One good thing about music. When it hits ya, you feel no pain." .....Bob Marley

kmellon
03-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Welcome Duane. Looking forward to hearing more about your 75.

Rich
03-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Welcome!

It's hard to tell on that one pic, but is that a new growth on that coral or is it aiptasia? If it's aiptasia I have some AiptasiaX you can use.

marcslove
04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Welcome:hat: