PDA

View Full Version : New LEDs

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 01:06 PM
I received the first half of the order Monday. The rest will be here today. It includes both LED units (custom spectrum), a power supply for each, the controller, and all mounting hardware.

I did a quick lights-on and dimming check and had to turn it off. BRIGHT! Here's the link to the site: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6403317255.html?orderId=65068597936238. If you want a custom spectrum, you just have to ask. They were very accommodating. No negatives so far.

I can run up to 9 panels from a single controller, so I may just hook up all 4 panels together and run them at 20% power until the corals acclimate. This thing is so flexible that I may

Dimensions of each module: 22 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Construction: Powder coated extruded aluminum. No cooling fan needed.
Controller: Multi-level menu options. See the pic below.
Power: 60W per panel. In my tank, that's 20W per square foot, which would put it right in the range where I had the explosive growth and pigmentation success in the old 150G. The LED spectrum should also be improved from the old CW, RB and blue combination I had before.

More to follow when I get them set up today.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/New%20LEDs/LEDControl.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/New%20LEDs/NewLED1.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/New%20LEDs/NewLED2.jpg

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 01:16 PM
The spectrum is as follows:
Channel 1 = 3 x 395nm and 4 x 420nm
Channel 2 = 3 x 450nm and 4 x 465nm
Channel 3 = 5 x 465nm and 2 x 500nm
Channel 4 = 6 x 12000K white and 1 x 660nm red

Levi
12-24-2014, 03:11 PM
I received the first half of the order Monday. The rest will be here today. It includes both LED units (custom spectrum), a power supply for each, the controller, and all mounting hardware.

I did a quick lights-on and dimming check and had to turn it off. BRIGHT! Here's the link to the site: http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6403317255.html?orderId=65068597936238. If you want a custom spectrum, you just have to ask. They were very accommodating. No negatives so far.

I can run up to 9 panels from a single controller, so I may just hook up all 4 panels together and run them at 20% power until the corals acclimate. This thing is so flexible that I may

Dimensions of each module: 22 1/2" x 5 1/2"
Construction: Powder coated extruded aluminum. No cooling fan needed.
Controller: Multi-level menu options. See the pic below.
Power: 60W per panel. In my tank, that's 20W per square foot, which would put it right in the range where I had the explosive growth and pigmentation success in the old 150G. The LED spectrum should also be improved from the old CW, RB and blue combination I had before.

More to follow when I get them set up today.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/New%20LEDs/LEDControl.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/New%20LEDs/NewLED1.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/New%20LEDs/NewLED2.jpg

Nice looking fixtures. I personally feel like $247 for 60w of power is a bit expensive but if that is the power range where you had the most success, I am interested to see how these perform. I really like the look of them and they would work great for the design I am thinking about over a 4ft frag flat using both LED and T5s.

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 04:00 PM
That's 60W x2. Plus controller. Don't rain on my parade, dude.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 04:05 PM
It's going to be a while before I see any results at all. My SPS frags are still recovering from the TSA damage.

garyanddebbie
12-24-2014, 04:33 PM
If I am reading that right, are you getting two panels and a controller for $250? So 120w total? The dimensions are very different, but would work great for me haha. I love the idea of no fans, and they look skinny! Would love to see some pictures of them above the tank. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Levi
12-24-2014, 05:04 PM
120w = 48" length, so 60w per 16-20" section compared to the typical 120w per 16-20" section for about $100 is what I was referring to. Also I am sorry you felt I was raining on your parade by stating my personal opinion and stating I am excited to see the results because if it works, the design would work well for what I am wanting to DIY

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 05:16 PM
If I am reading that right, are you getting two panels and a controller for $250? So 120w total? The dimensions are very different, but would work great for me haha. I love the idea of no fans, and they look skinny! Would love to see some pictures of them above the tank. What are the dimensions of the tank?

That's correct. You get two 60W panels, power supplies, digital controller, hanging hardware, etc. per order. You can get more details in the link above, although it shows the details of the standard spectrum configuration.

Yes, very skinny. They're 1 1/4" tall.

I think manufacturers are finally getting wise to the downside of either densely-packed or over-driven LEDs. They produce so much heat that a heat sink alone won't do the trick. My last DIY system used just 1/8" thick aluminum and 3W LEDs driven at 750mA instead of the 1000mA they were rated to handle. You could barely feel a temperature difference on the back of the aluminum, but they put out so much energy that I bleached my SPS at first. After dimming them and slowly increasing intensity over a few weeks they really took off. I'm hoping these have a similar effect.

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 05:45 PM
120w = 48" length, so 60w per 16-20" section compared to the typical 120w per 16-20" section for about $100 is what I was referring to. Also I am sorry you felt I was raining on your parade by stating my personal opinion and stating I am excited to see the results because if it works, the design would work well for what I am wanting to DIY

120W with a custom spectrum, no fan noise and a digital controller for $100? Pull the other one!

As I started out saying in my DOY thread, I was getting ready to go the DIY route again because they've gotten so cheap, but when this company cut their price AND let me customize the spectrum, I just couldn't see going the DIY route this time. Their controller alone is going for $200. If I tried going DIY I'd have to get an Arduino and mess around with all the adapters, power supplies, drivers, wiring bundles, etc. This is clean and turnkey.

Levi
12-24-2014, 05:56 PM
120W with a custom spectrum, no fan noise and a digital controller for $100? Pull the other one!

As I started out saying in my DOY thread, I was getting ready to go the DIY route again because they've gotten so cheap, but when this company cut their price AND let me customize the spectrum, I just couldn't see going the DIY route this time. Their controller alone is going for $200. If I tried going DIY I'd have to get an Arduino and mess around with all the adapters, power supplies, drivers, wiring bundles, etc. This is clean and turnkey.
custom spectrum yes, dimmable yes, controller no. The evergrow touchscreen controller is easily diyable to work on these units and the controller is 75 so for 175 you can have a 120w with full controller, for 350 you get 240w with full controller to cover 48".

That's besides the point that there is a better deal. My point again was that if you got good growth before from this type of setup or power output, I am interested to see the results as this type of setup would work great for the to setup I am doing. I'm not saying you made a bad choice or raining on your parade so there is no need to be defensive about your purchase. Everyone is allowed to state their opinions and I stated mine but I'm afraid you took it wrong as me saying you made all bad purchase. Who cares what I think about you spending your own money. If you like it that is all that matters. Again I'm excited to see the results.

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 05:56 PM
The second half of the shipment just arrived. It also came with a controller, so I can run two separate systems or one system with 4 modules and have a controller to spare.

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 06:23 PM
custom spectrum yes, dimmable yes, controller no. The evergrow touchscreen controller is easily diyable to work on these units and the controller is 75 so for 175 you can have a 120w with full controller, for 350 you get 240w with full controller to cover 48".

I have to admit those are decent prices but you may not have noticed I'm in Fairbanks. A lot of companies (even Amazon for many items) won't even ship here due to the cost. Sometimes shipping costs as much as the item itself, which is robbery. I don't recall the last time I paid for shipping direct from China. Since I commute 70 miles each way to/from work I don't have a ton of time nowadays for DIY, so if I can get the same results and better quality for a complete unit online, it's hard to justify DIY.

SpaceOps
12-24-2014, 08:21 PM
I've had one running at 100% for a couple hours. The max temp I've found on the fins is in the mid-90s F. The specs for the Bridgelux 3W LEDs says the operating range is 212F (HA!!!). I'm comfortable with this heat, though. It's just warm to the touch. We're going to install them after dinner.

SpaceOps
12-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Ok, finally got around to installing two of the modules this morning. I like them!

One pleasant surprise is that when I set up the schedule for each channel, I originally thought the lights would adjust their intensity suddenly at the specified time. Not so. They do it gradually. For example, if I had channel 1 go from 0 intensity at 5 a.m. to 20% at 5:15, channel 1 would take the full 15 minutes to go from 0 to 20%. Way cool.

The only downside so far is that because I placed 2 orders for a 2-module unit, they didn't manufacture them so that I could string them together with others. I can live with that. They're easy to program if I want to add the other 2 modules.

SpaceOps
12-27-2014, 03:19 PM
Well, this TSA survivor seems happy with the new LEDs.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/Aquarium%202014/Chalice.jpg

I_Made_You_Read_This
03-05-2015, 08:44 PM
So you have had a few months with them now. How are they doing?

SpaceOps
03-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Couldn't be happier

SpaceOps
03-05-2015, 08:52 PM
I've got about 35 frags in the tank now and they seem pretty happy. Lots of polyp extension and pigmentation

I_Made_You_Read_This
03-05-2015, 09:38 PM
I am clueless when it comes to these. I saw some different Chinese 165w full spectrum lights on ebay. On yours how many would you need to cover a 72" x 27" x 27" tank?

Just_Tim
03-05-2015, 09:42 PM
I am clueless when it comes to these. I saw some different Chinese 165w full spectrum lights on ebay. On yours how many would you need to cover a 72" x 27" x 27" tank?
The rule is one panel for every 2sq feet

SpaceOps
03-05-2015, 10:07 PM
I'd say three of the hundred watt pendants, or maybe three of the 24 inch modules. You can use six modules possibly due to the extra width front to back but there's no way you would run them at a hundred percent with six

SpaceOps
04-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Still impressed by these LEDs. Not a single coral seems to be unhappy with them. Nice pigmentation, good growth, awesome fluorescence. I'm ramping up the intensity another 10% at each stage of the daily schedule to see what happens.

89delta
04-09-2015, 07:07 PM
I was actually looking at those for another setup.

SpaceOps
04-09-2015, 07:48 PM
It looks like the seller had increased their price, but in my experience they'll all wheel and deal. I gave them feedback that they should offer my custom spectrum as a standard setup option. These guys really don't know corals, so they just copy what the bigger names are selling.

Anyway, they've been really reliable so far, and the corals seem pretty happy. I'm still averaging 50-60% intensity over a 12-hour photoperiod, and that's with LEDs that will max out at 120W total. I have a second set standing by in case they weren't up to par (pun), but haven't needed them. I'm saving them and the two 100W custom pendants for the 150 (whenever I get around to setting it up). Not sure which I'll end up using. Probably the pendants because they have so many more discrete wavelengths, and in testing they really made the pigments fluoresce like crazy. I just need to find drivers compatible with some kind of controller.

89delta
04-09-2015, 10:31 PM
True, even if you get a basic full spectrum one can switch out a few LEDs here and there to suit the need. Wondering if the controller part puts out a pwm or analog signal to the drivers. Either way I'd probably stick one of my diy controllers on there to simulate clouds and realtime moon phases.

SpaceOps
04-10-2015, 09:56 AM
I see the company I bought from has moved to a programmable setup with a cell phone app, but they say they don't warranty the app. Hmm. I probably wouldn't buy any LED system just because of an app. Not really worth the extra $$$ for a toy. I tend to set the intensity and timing on the controller and leave it alone for a long time.

PuD
05-15-2015, 02:04 PM
I was just looking at a set for my build. According to their specs, I would need 6 panels for my 180. The model number of the one I'm looking at is MW-A6-3. I sent them a message asking what it would cost for 6 panels instead of 3. This seems like a pretty solid deal for what you get.

SpaceOps
05-15-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm still just using 2 for my 120. The corals are healthy and happy, even at low intensity. Remember, I got a custom spectrum.