PDA

View Full Version : Cutting thick glass

Just_Tim
12-12-2014, 06:46 PM
I recently discovered that my tile saw is capable of cleanly cutting 1/4"-5/16" glass. Has anyone else tried this?

Ehren
12-12-2014, 08:02 PM
Works great for me too. A little chipping some times but my bladeblade is junk

AGGJSW
12-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Yes - I've done a lot of cutting glass with my Harbor Freight tile-saw. Up to 1/2", no problem. It doesn't leave the best cut but it worked great for my applications. I actually think the thicker the glass the better result.

Levi
12-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Yep it works great just results in chipping. For building baffles though it is great as you dont need a smooth edge in a sump. For building an aquarium no bueno. I may need to borrow the tile saw as it would be much easier to cut the piece of glass I want to the correct size than to hope I can snap it in a clean line without breaking it. I am making a center brace for the 150g that I am redoing the trim on.

Just_Tim
12-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Just let me know when. I've got some glass too

Levi
12-13-2014, 09:12 AM
I will swing by today at some point. I have someone coming to pick up the 175g tank I resealed for them, then JJ is coming over to help figure out how to get some of the stuff in the garage arranged so my wife can park her suv in the garage, then I have to drop off some LED lights I redid the spectrum on at Bush's house, then I am free to come cut a piece of glass lol. So maybe tomorrow would work best.

Just_Tim
12-13-2014, 09:59 AM
I will swing by today at some point. I have someone coming to pick up the 175g tank I resealed for them, then JJ is coming over to help figure out how to get some of the stuff in the garage arranged so my wife can park her suv in the garage, then I have to drop off some LED lights I redid the spectrum on at Bush's house, then I am free to come cut a piece of glass lol. So maybe tomorrow would work best.

Haha. You know I'm always around.