PDA

View Full Version : zebra eel

charleshardy5
12-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Anyone local have experience with one of these? I'm the interest of not confining a shark who would outgrow the 180 I've been researching other awesome fish and I think we have a winner.
http://youtu.be/RbOO46OPsQE

We The Sheeple

Kio707
12-10-2014, 03:45 PM
What u wanna know?

David

charleshardy5
12-10-2014, 03:55 PM
I've already done a lot of research and stuff, they're reef safeish, just wanted to know if anyone had one, did they enjoy it, does it destroy rockwork, any misfortune with fish, did you ever get it to eat prepared food over live, those sort of things

We The Sheeple

Kio707
12-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Ate frozen silversides, had to hand feed it, attacked a clownfish. Always hide.

David

charleshardy5
12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Thanks man. Did your clown have a nem to hide in for safety? Was it during feeding time by chance that maybe it happened and he just was in wrong place wrong time? Anyone else with experience?

We The Sheeple

Just_Tim
12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
I still say shark it up man. Mine just lays around until it's feeding time.

Kio707
12-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks man. Did your clown have a nem to hide in for safety? Was it during feeding time by chance that maybe it happened and he just was in wrong place wrong time? Anyone else with experience?

We The Sheeple

Yes. Happened at night. They will escape from the smallest holes too

David

charleshardy5
12-10-2014, 08:43 PM
Yeah I've got covers for the tank, already lost a snowflake once. Gonna play it safe this time. I dunno, I think the smallest fish I'll have is my clowns and a zebra doesn't get ridiculous huge I may still try it.

I keep thinking bout the shark too man but I'm just not up for it, not fair to the shark having to relocate it when it gets too big and plus I don't want to have to F with it.

Thanks David for the info. One last question, did you at least enjoy keeping him?

We The Sheeple

Kio707
12-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Nope. It's a boring fish.. Lol. Never saw it except for feeding time. Never again

David

charleshardy5
12-10-2014, 08:52 PM
Lol I see

We The Sheeple

static reef
12-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Go for it bro. Remember my inspirational video. He had one thriving. Do it do it.

Kio707
12-10-2014, 09:12 PM
Boring.. Lol...

David

charleshardy5
12-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Go for it bro. Remember my inspirational video. He had one thriving. Do it do it.
Actually that video, and your tank, inspired me to strive for better husbandry skills and start keeping SPS alive. considering all research points to needing pristine water to keep zebras happy I think it's only natural that I get one haha

We The Sheeple

static reef
12-10-2014, 09:22 PM
Thats real sweet of you cal. Thanks for the compliment. Thata what im talking about. Zebra in a reef will be amazing. A few Large caves or alot of small ones?

charleshardy5
12-10-2014, 09:25 PM
I was thinking of burying some pvc cave systems in the sand bed for him with 2 1/2 or 3 inch pipes and then doing some smaller caves and stuff with the rockwork

We The Sheeple

sweat044
12-10-2014, 09:27 PM
I was thinking of burying some pvc cave systems in the sand bed for him with 2 1/2 or 3 inch pipes and then doing some smaller caves and stuff with the rockwork

We The Sheeple

Awesome. I'm thinking about the same thing with my pea**** mantis tank I'm going to build.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

charleshardy5
01-08-2015, 11:01 PM
So I was talking to Jim today at petco and he brought up an interesting point about the tunnel system I'm planning. He mentioned the thought that rhe tunnels could possibly cause anaerobic areas in the water. He has offered to help me research a way to prevent this from happening by way of some sort of small powerhead. I've been doing a lot of reading myself and I have found quite a few threads and discussions about using Pvc tunnels for eels but none I have taken rhe tine to read so Far have discussed the issue at length or ar all. So I pose the question to you guys, do you think this could pose a problem in the long run for my 180 or is this a moot point. I kinda assumed with rhe eel moving about in the tunnels the water will never really remain stagnant long, but that also is assuming 1, the eel actually uses rhe system and 2, if he does use it he moves around enough to keep the water churning. The other thought I had was that the eel is potentially going to be the last fish I add, and the piping I want to install before I even set up the tank so that it can be buried under both substrate and rockwork. Thoughts? Solutions?

Prepare Yourself! http://tinyurl.com/nsxj9k3

Joe
01-08-2015, 11:36 PM
I don't know about the impact overall, but I have several PVC tunnels built into my rock wall pieces. The longest one is probably about a foot long. The fish go in and out. From the parts I can see into, there doesn't appear to be detritus buildup. I'm guessing there isn't a lot of flow through them, but I haven't done anything to really test or observe them. If you want to stop by and check them out, you are welcome to. I suppose we could use a baster to put some food particles or purple up to see if any of it goes through the tunnels.

One thing I did in my last rock wall piece was to run some tubing for a small pump to run water along the back of the wall above two shelf pieces. I just used an MJ1200 pump and ran tubing to the two openings, and built the tubing into the wall. The pump is in the overflow. I have it turn on for 30 seconds periodically to create some flow. Seems like it would be easy to run a few lines into whatever PVC tunnel you build. Even 1/4 lines could be run into the tunnel or wall to have a little flow now and then. Heck I might build that into my last rock wall piece like an irrigation system with a bunch of little outlets.

charleshardy5
01-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Thanks for your thoughts joe, I was thinking of adding a mj900 or 1200 to the mix somehow, on a timer that would once or twice a day put some flow through there. I'm hoping to make the tunnel system the majority of the tank length and in the shape of a H with a connector tunnel in the middle. Looks like the powerhead for supplemental flow is high on the list to achieve what I want

Prepare Yourself! http://tinyurl.com/nsxj9k3