PDA

View Full Version : Heater trouble

OceanView
10-20-2014, 08:16 AM
I currently have a 300w viaAqua heater for my 55 gal. Temps range between 71 to 79. Is that normal? I would like to keep the temps a bit more even.
Any recommendations for a better heater?

Oh, and I will change to a new tank end of the year. 70 gal with 40 gal sump. So I guess I need to take that into consideration.

Campbell
10-20-2014, 08:21 AM
I have 2 viaAqua titanium 300W heaters on my 150 and have had at the most a 2 degree fluctuation before I added them to the reefkeeper for added accuracy and fail safe. It could be a number of things though. Placement of heater and flow around/near it, ambient temperature flares, internal heat from pumps etc... 8 degrees IMO is an intolerable variance but are you convinced it is the heater?

OceanView
10-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Honestly, I have no idea if it is the heater. In the morning at 71 degrees, the little light is not on showing that it is heating. It is set on right under 79. So that makes me a bit suspect.

Campbell
10-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Are you using a separate temperature gauge or the digital one attached to the heater (if its the same model as mine and has that)...?

Romebaby
10-20-2014, 09:08 AM
Turn the temp knob all the way up while submerged and see if the light comes on. If still no light feel the heater tube and see if it's hot. You may have a dead heater.

lsaint
10-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Sounds to be dead heater. But I dont trust heaters. I have a apex that runs my heater. if you dont have one or want one this little thing is cool http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-aquatics-neo-stat-temperature-controller.html

OceanView
10-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Are you using a separate temperature gauge or the digital one attached to the heater (if its the same model as mine and has that)...?

I'm using a separate probe! I don't think my model has one.

OceanView
10-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Sounds to be dead heater. But I dont trust heaters. I have a apex that runs my heater. if you dont have one or want one this little thing is cool http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobalt-aquatics-neo-stat-temperature-controller.html

I guess I'm a little confused how those controllers work. Do you plug the heater into that and it decides when to turn it on? Does it have a probe itself?

OceanView
10-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Turn the temp knob all the way up while submerged and see if the light comes on. If still no light feel the heater tube and see if it's hot. You may have a dead heater.

I think it is bad. Darn, I only had it since April. It is sudo warm, but when I turned the knob, the light did not come on. It's weird. It must work sometimes, because I see the light on here and there.

Romebaby
10-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Also make sure it's plugged in tight. You might try a different outlet on the power strip too.

Just_Tim
10-20-2014, 10:02 AM
Also make sure it's plugged in tight. You might try a different outlet on the power strip too.

+1
Heater malfunction is also the sign of a power strip starting to fail.

lsaint
10-20-2014, 10:15 AM
It has a probe that goes in the tank and u plug in the heater to it and it will turn on and off the heater

scrumpto
10-22-2014, 01:15 AM
I've used the Eheim Jager heaters for over a decade and have never had one fail (and some are over ten years old!). However, I have found that you cannot always trust the numbers on the top so I test them in a 5gal bucket with a pump in it until I get them to the right temp.

As others have mentioned, the solution to this is a controller.

Another problem you can run into is not having a powerful enough heater. For instance, if you had a 50 watt heater and the room was 68 degrees in the morning then the heater couldn't keep up on a large tank.

One last consideration. I sometimes stop the flow of water to my sump like when I'm feeding and I've been known to forget about this. Because of this I have a heater in both my tank and my sump.

Good luck.

Sharkboy99999
10-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Yeah One of My Eheim jager is 5 years old . It's fine but yeah like scrumpto mentioned you can go off what the heater My says it's at like at 87f when it's at 79f