PDA

View Full Version : Rock advice



Hydroid
10-15-2014, 06:41 PM
So had a rock that was covered in a "weed" coral and didn't want it to spread to rest of tank so pulled it out a couple of days ago and put it outside to let the whole thing die.

I'm looking for advice from all the wonderfull people in this club

How much longer should I let it dry out?

I plan on scrubbing it with stiff brush
Anything else?

Do I need to cure this one rock before putting it back in tank?

Thanks

Redneck_Reefer
10-15-2014, 06:47 PM
if you are planning on killing everything. I have heard of people boiling the rock. I have never done it I had a rock with 1 aptasia on it I left it out for a week after I washed it with fresh RODI water. I am sure somebody has a better Idea.

Hydroid
10-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Just want to kill surface coral. I was reading that boiling is bad it releases toxic fumes not sure if true. Some said soak in bleach but that didn't like sound of that. I'm more conserned with if its safe to just put back after scrubbing and rinsing and the other 90% of my rock will handle the mini cycle it might cause.

Coral Xpressions
10-15-2014, 08:16 PM
If you're just scrubbing corala you'll be fine. Assuming it's not the show piece size rock in your tank. Scrub it vigorously and rinse well. Sooner better, I wouldn't let the rock die or it could potentially cause a spike.

If you boil the rock just do it outside and up wind

Brian
10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
If it's a palyzoa, don't scrub it as the dried dust is still toxic.., bleach does work, just re-soak it in a water heavy in declorinator, then let sun bake for a few days.

Hydroid
10-15-2014, 08:31 PM
It was a thick mix of plays, Xenia, and red shrooms. Been out for 3 days so to late on not killing rock.

Coral Xpressions
10-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Flame thrower works everytime...or have Chris ' kids run over it with their scooter.... That seems very effective bat killing so far lol

719bloodhound
10-15-2014, 08:33 PM
scrubbing it aint going to work, my bro had some gsp he took a wire wheel to and ground them off and they still came back

Hydroid
10-15-2014, 08:48 PM
scrubbing it aint going to work, my nor had some gap he took a wire wheel to and ground them off and they still came back

So I should i be considering new rock?



Flame thrower works everytime...or have Chris ' kids run over it with their scooter.... That seems very effective bat killing so far lol

If you can borrow a authentic flamethrower from work I'd be more then happy to try it LOL

Coral Xpressions
10-15-2014, 08:49 PM
I think if anyone would have one it would be the guy who used it in wwii.... Where u at murph

Joe
10-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Muriatic acid wash will do it. You can find several articles online about that. Baking soda neutralizes the acid when you are done. I've done it before. You will remove all the dead stuff that way and it won't cause a spike.

Just_Tim
10-15-2014, 08:57 PM
What about running a Hyper-salinity soak in a bucket. I just read about the great salt lake in Utah having small pockets of %20 salinity (which is about 10x what the ocean is) and in these areas of hyper salinity the only life is Copepods and brine shrimp. Since that's the only life you really want after the polyps are gone it could work?

Hydroid
10-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Muriatic acid wash will do it. You can find several articles online about that. Baking soda neutralizes the acid when you are done. I've done it before. You will remove all the dead stuff that way and it won't cause a spike.

I did see that. it basically turns it into clean base rock right?

Coral Xpressions
10-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Give me $5 and I'll give you a clean piece of cycled rock...lol or let's trade

Hydroid
10-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Give me $5 and I'll give you a clean piece of cycled rock...lol or let's trade

Hey you might be on to something there.

Joe
10-15-2014, 09:18 PM
I did see that. it basically turns it into clean base rock right?

Yes. It might be more hassle than you want, but I didn't find it too much trouble. I didn't die. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/indepth-topics-disscussion/85996-muriatic-acid-bath-live-rock-rebirth.html

Coral Xpressions
10-15-2014, 09:19 PM
I dies once......

But then I LIVED!!!

Balz3352
10-15-2014, 09:26 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/15/24a743497322eb86ec9125d94aba344a.jpg

Hydroid
10-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Yes. It might be more hassle than you want, but I didn't find it too much trouble. I didn't die. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/indepth-topics-disscussion/85996-muriatic-acid-bath-live-rock-rebirth.html

That is a funny and informative article thank you. I didn't find that one when I was looking

hooked
10-16-2014, 08:19 AM
+1 on not boiling or scrubbing it under water. Palytoxin is no joke. You don't want to find out the hard way that yours are toxic.
I always wear eye protection, gloves and mask when aggitating corals. You never know. You can google palytoxin. It will scare you pretty good.

kutcha
10-16-2014, 08:52 AM
here are one of the many horror stories about boiling rocking with zoas on them
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/personal-experiences-with-palytoxin-poisoning-almost-killed-myself-wife-and-dogs

Levi
10-16-2014, 08:59 AM
What about running a Hyper-salinity soak in a bucket. I just read about the great salt lake in Utah having small pockets of %20 salinity (which is about 10x what the ocean is) and in these areas of hyper salinity the only life is Copepods and brine shrimp. Since that's the only life you really want after the polyps are gone it could work?
That is how Mr. AQUA does his rock. Makes the water super super salty and it kills all corals, algae, worms etc.

hooked
10-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Here is a thread that I put together a couple of years ago about some encounters of palytoxin.

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?11007-Danger-in-Your-Reef-Tank