PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Salt

rawlins06
10-08-2014, 08:17 AM
For now Im using IO Reef Crystals. I mix about 4-5 gallons at a time and use it over a 3-4 week period.
I was just reading some info on the Red Sea Coral Pro salt and their instructions say not to mix the salt for more then 4 hours.
Is my IO salt OK to store and use for a few weeks? Or does the instructions with the Red Sea salt mean to not mix for over 4 hours but I can turn off the power head and it will still keep for a few weeks in a closed bucket?

charleshardy5
10-08-2014, 08:36 AM
That whole thing seems kinda weird to me... I mean... Once its mixed its mixed right? What's the difference between keeping it in a food grade container or having it in our aquarium? IMHO I would say keep on keeping on with what you're doing. But please take into consideration that I often talk out my rear end and others may chime in with more insight, I haven't researched this by any means and its just one guys thoughts and opinion
Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Levi
10-08-2014, 08:37 AM
I have noticed a huge spike in phosphates leaching from the brute trashcan if I leave mixed saltwater in it. So I use aqua medic salt because it mixes darn near instantly and I mix what I need, keeping the rest of my rodi water in a food grade 55g drum

Levi
10-08-2014, 08:39 AM
I have tried a bunch of different types of salt and really really like the aqua medic salt. Plus it's a steal. 200g bucket for $40 currently at Coral Xpressions locally, Aquatic Art and Aqua mart in Denver.

Kio707
10-08-2014, 10:13 AM
I, like Levi, have used every salt out there. Before aqua medic, I used regular IO. I had great growth, but I also did 20% pwc every week on a 180g. Switched to Aqua medic and now I go every 2 weeks. No dosing either.

David

lsaint
10-08-2014, 11:14 AM
I mix SW and store it for about 2-3 weeks at a time in a brute trashcan. IMO I think its not the trashcan putting phosphates in the water its you by putting in dirty hands, pump, hoses in the water.

charleshardy5
10-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I mix SW and store it for about 2-3 weeks at a time in a brute trashcan. IMO I think its not the trashcan putting phosphates in the water its you by putting in dirty hands, pump, hoses in the water.

while I'm sure that contributes greatly to the addition of phosphates in the water it has been documented all throughout the reefing community that certain types of recycled plastics can leech phosphates, I dint remever exactly where I found it but I read somewhere before I got my food safe barrels that some brute trash cans were made with different materials and they leeched crap into the water. Your safest bet for a safe container is one stamped with hdpe number 4 or 7 (if memory serves me correctly). Name brand matters not. I have a POS 10 buck 32g trashcan I got from Lowes to hold my water originally, stamped with the number 4, never had an issue with phosphates when it was in service. It should also be noted that saltwater is corrosive as most of us are aware, I'm sure that given time it could lead to a breakdown in the in the plastics our storage containers are comprised of

rawlins06
10-08-2014, 12:01 PM
I've been mixing it for about an hour when I add salt. Then I turn my pump off because its loud lol. When I do a water change I turn my heater and pump on so it circulates the water around the heater.

Do they make a bucket smaller than 200g?

static reef
10-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Big r has a ton to choose from. Sizes range from 40 - 500 I believe. A little more pricey but well designed and made

sent from FBI van #43

Coral Xpressions
10-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Aqua Medic doesn't no. My recommendation would be to only mix what your going to use for that water change. I imagine you're only doing 1 gallon waterchanges a week so that's too easy. I use to use old gallon size juice containers. Rinse thoroughly a few times. Then fill with water add salt to desired salinity. Using them made mixing t he salt real easy. Just screw cap on and shack. One you get salinity just heat to match tank an pour in. Process use to take me Bout 30 minutes. Never had any issues

Coral Xpressions
10-08-2014, 12:19 PM
You only need to mix the salt until it's devolved. Normally with colder the water the longer I've seen it take most salts to fully disolve. Obviously keep ur hands out of the water to avoid contamination.

rawlins06
10-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Aqua Medic doesn't no. My recommendation would be to only mix what your going to use for that water change. I imagine you're only doing 1 gallon waterchanges a week so that's too easy. I use to use old gallon size juice containers. Rinse thoroughly a few times. Then fill with water add salt to desired salinity. Using them made mixing t he salt real easy. Just screw cap on and shack. One you get salinity just heat to match tank an pour in. Process use to take me Bout 30 minutes. Never had any issues

That sounds way easier then using a bucket.
Should I rinse the container with vinigar or just plan rodi water? Lowes has these buckets in 4qt size too. Its stamped with a #5. Are these safe to use?http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah130/rawlins06/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/IMG_20141008_123210749_HDR_zps9gifldqv.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/rawlins06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/IMG_20141008_123210749_HDR_zps9gifldqv.jpg.html)

static reef
10-08-2014, 12:52 PM
Water with a splash of bleach. Let it sit for an hour or so. Rinse. Rerinse. Air dry

sent from FBI van #43

rawlins06
10-08-2014, 01:00 PM
The 3qt bucket is stamped #2. Guess I better look those up.

Levi
10-08-2014, 01:04 PM
while I'm sure that contributes greatly to the addition of phosphates in the water it has been documented all throughout the reefing community that certain types of recycled plastics can leech phosphates, I dint remever exactly where I found it but I read somewhere before I got my food safe barrels that some brute trash cans were made with different materials and they leeched crap into the water. Your safest bet for a safe container is one stamped with hdpe number 4 or 7 (if memory serves me correctly). Name brand matters not. I have a POS 10 buck 32g trashcan I got from Lowes to hold my water originally, stamped with the number 4, never had an issue with phosphates when it was in service. It should also be noted that saltwater is corrosive as most of us are aware, I'm sure that given time it could lead to a breakdown in the in the plastics our storage containers are comprised of

I will have to look at my trashcans to see what they are stamped, maybe that is my issue.

rawlins06
10-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Find a little info. So far 2, 4 and 5 are safe.

charleshardy5
10-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Find a little info. So far 2, 4 and 5 are safe.
Thank you for posting the correction, I was unsure about it the more I thought about how I said number 7

rawlins06
10-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Thank you for posting the correction, I was unsure about it the more I thought about how I said number 7

I guess 7 can be safe too sometimes! http://m.wikihow.com/Identify-Food-Grade-Buckets http://fivegallonideas.com/food-grade-buckets/