PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question

Romebaby
10-01-2014, 06:48 PM
I've always used vinyl for return and drain lines so I'm a noob at the pvc tank plumbing. I've got a threaded barbed bulkhead, the barb takes 1.25" ID vinyl, no idea what the threads are. On the sump it's a stub of pvc type (smooth), also takes 1.25 ID. I can't use vinyl on this one because I need to make an immediate 90 coming off the barb an it's only 8" to the sump stub. Not room for a bend, can't find a 90 barbed elbow that size. What do I need pvc wise?

hooked
10-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I would make a drawing and go to home depot and lay it out on the floor. Take your pump and existing pieces with you. I have even had sales people get on the floor with me to help figure it out.

Just_Tim
10-01-2014, 07:02 PM
If you can wait i have free time after 5:00 on friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levi
10-01-2014, 07:02 PM
I've always used vinyl for return and drain lines so I'm a noob at the pvc tank plumbing. I've got a threaded barbed bulkhead, the barb takes 1.25" ID vinyl, no idea what the threads are. On the sump it's a stub of pvc type (smooth), also takes 1.25 ID. I can't use vinyl on this one because I need to make an immediate 90 coming off the barb an it's only 8" to the sump stub. Not room for a bend, can't find a 90 barbed elbow that size. What do I need pvc wise?

Home depot has them in 1" and 1.5". I would heat up the tube in boiling water and shove it on the 1.5" so that effectively the 90 doesn't reduce very much flow at all if any.

static reef
10-01-2014, 07:06 PM
I would make a drawing and go to home depot and lay it out on the floor. Take your pump and existing pieces with you. I have even had sales people get on the floor with me to help figure it out.

Yup. This is how I taught myself as well john

sent from FBI van #43

Romebaby
10-01-2014, 07:14 PM

That's kind of what I did today but I couldn't quite explain the bulkhead threads, and I can't take that off now. I'll take a picture of it and head back in.

Romebaby
10-01-2014, 07:16 PM
Home depot has them in 1" and 1.5". I would heat up the tube in boiling water and shove it on the 1.5" so that effectively the 90 doesn't reduce very much flow at all if any.

Thought of that but the 1.5 90 is gonna butt right up to the 1.25 bulkhead with a stretched out vinyl hose. I might try it anyway.

Levi
10-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Use the stainless steel straps you tighten down with a screw driver