PDA

View Full Version : What type of light?

Redneck_Reefer
10-01-2014, 04:10 PM
What type of lights are everyone using?

Does anyone use MH anymore? And If so what supplemental lighting to go with the halide?

What about MH & Led? would that be a good combo?

I am asking/looking for experience and advice on what lights work best. I realize that there are certain trade offs between lights (heat generated, replacing bulbs, cost to run the fixture etc.....)

The tank is a mixed reef 65 gallon. Advice/opinions are appreciated thanks!

John

Romebaby
10-01-2014, 04:50 PM
I run MH on a frag tank. 250w DE 14k Phoenix with blue led supplement. If I was redoing these lights I would go SE 20k radium with T5 actinic supp. All other tanks are LED.

My 160w 16k razor tank grows and colors better than my MH tank.

What are the dims of your tank?

719bloodhound
10-01-2014, 07:51 PM
Kessils 2 a360we

Just_Tim
10-01-2014, 08:08 PM
I run MH with blue power compacts. Im still not entirely happy with the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charleshardy5
10-01-2014, 08:11 PM
I run MH with blue power compacts. Im still not entirely happy with the color.

check out the coralife purple actinic lights, its what I run with my halide over my frag flat now, the color is awesome paired with a 14k Kelvin halide bulb

Just_Tim
10-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Thats what i have. Full blue/purple Coralife bulb. Im getting close to my ideal color.

static reef
10-01-2014, 11:38 PM
4 radion pros, 1 radion gen 3, 2 chineese 120 watt, 6 single led apex moonlights, 1 marineland freshwater plant led unit, 100 watt evo, and one wal mart white led rope

sent from FBI van #43

Sharkboy99999
10-02-2014, 11:39 AM
All in one tank ! ^

2thmaker
10-03-2014, 06:30 AM
I run T5s. 6x54W. I use ATI and Geisemann bulbs. I think T5s are a great compromise between MH and LED. You don't get the as much heat as MH, but more than the LEDs. You will get great color and growth, but not as much color pop (fluorescing) as LEDs. Bulbs are about $22 each for 48" length, so it makes experimenting with light relatively inexpensive.

SpaceOps
10-03-2014, 04:03 PM
I've been completely sold on LEDS for a few years. It took a while for the technology to advance to the point where you can get the spectrum and intensity necessary for corals, but I can't see any reason to go with anything else now. The lighting manufacturers have quickly moved to LEDs over everything else.
- Low cost to operate.
- If you're into DIY, they're cheap to buy and easy to get running. Costs are still dropping.
- If you operate them within their design heat range, they can last for years, degrading only 3% per year. MH and fluorescents degrade rapidly, needing to be replaced every 6-9 months to maintain spectrum.
- I had better growth under LEDs than MH or fluorescents.
- LEDs are dimmable through the use of pulse-width modulation.
- Since LEDs are available in virtually every color in the visible spectrum, as well as white, you can change the spectrum by dimming certain colors in an LED system.
- I replaced 1400W of MH and VHOs with 240W of LEDs, and still bleached my SPS because the blue LEDs were putting out high energy light. I saved 12 kWh a day, and got rid of my fans.
- I never needed a fan with my LEDs, and there was no large, unsightly, hot power supply to deal with.
- I never had an LED explode when a drop of water hit it. I never burned my arm on an LED when reaching into the tank.
- You can choose certain LED wavelengths to get unreal coral fluorescence.
- Fluorescents and MH have mercury in them--bad for you, bad for the environment if it gets out.
- Between the savings in electricity and replacement bulbs, LEDs pay for themselves quickly.