PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Question

sweat044
09-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Ok. So I have never been a fan of them but I think it is time to give one a try. It will be going in my 29 gallon biocube. The lighting on it is an old one cord Chinese LED 120 hung over the tank. I think the lighting is fine. For flow I have the return pump, not sure what it is, thinking of upgrading to a maxijet. I also have a 600 gph korallia. The system has been up and running for around 6 months. Any issues? Anything I need to do to make it better and nicer for the nem?

Sharkboy99999
09-30-2014, 11:08 AM
From what I've noticed with my nems that I've just recently got in my 30g . They don't really like flow and the more like and the better quality in water the more they bubble . Idk about all nems but that what I've noticed . Oh yeah there bubble tips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levi
09-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Ok. So I have never been a fan of them but I think it is time to give one a try. It will be going in my 29 gallon biocube. The lighting on it is an old one cord Chinese LED 120 hung over the tank. I think the lighting is fine. For flow I have the return pump, not sure what it is, thinking of upgrading to a maxijet. I also have a 600 gph korallia. The system has been up and running for around 6 months. Any issues? Anything I need to do to make it better and nicer for the nem?

most people would suggest 6months to 1year of a tank running post cycle before adding a nem

Kio707
09-30-2014, 11:23 AM
most people would suggest 6months to 1year of a tank running post cycle before adding a nem

After having several nem's, I agree with Levi 10000%.

David

kutcha
09-30-2014, 11:42 AM
are you growing coralline algae though out the tank?

sweat044
09-30-2014, 11:45 AM
I have coraline algae growing in some areas. It has been about 7 with the cycle time

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 12:09 PM
If your tank is established and stable then your fine. But site what growing coraline has to do with it. There's "recommended" times but that's all they are recommendations. I've had nems in all tanks day one....people lose nems in tanks that have been running for years. I barely had coraline in my systems but had nems heavy while time.

If your doing you maintenance, limiting parameter swings and have sufficient lighting then its a judgement call you need to make bed on other livestock state of health.

As for flow, I've had nems blasted with flow and loggieng life, others that hated flow. It will find its happy place.

Just remember, unless your hate fails and cause the tank to boil you'll never really know why if it dies. I add nems all the time to the system, some die over night some die randomly over the weeks. No clue why here

If you're unsure or don't like them then best recommendation will be to not potentially set yourself to for disappointment just to "try" ya know.

Just my opinions. If there's conflicting info please advise me and we can debate elsewhere lol

sweat044
09-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Thanks Bush, I really want a nem and haven't had any swings in anything. Everything in the tank is doing really well. I guess I have just been afraid of them. Time to get over the fear and get one.

If your tank is established and stable then your fine. But site what growing coraline has to do with it. There's "recommended" times but that's all they are recommendations. I've had nems in all tanks day one....people lose nems in tanks that have been running for years. I barely had coraline in my systems but had nems heavy while time.

If your doing you maintenance, limiting parameter swings and have sufficient lighting then its a judgement call you need to make bed on other livestock state of health.

As for flow, I've had nems blasted with flow and loggieng life, others that hated flow. It will find its happy place.

Just remember, unless your hate fails and cause the tank to boil you'll never really know why if it dies. I add nems all the time to the system, some die over night some die randomly over the weeks. No clue why here

If you're unsure or don't like them then best recommendation will be to not potentially set yourself to for disappointment just to "try" ya know.

Just my opinions. If there's conflicting info please advise me and we can debate elsewhere lol

NightStar
09-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Get a cheaper one (usually a green bubble) to start with, then if it loves life you can swap them out as you want. I agree your tank should be fine for a bubble.

Just_Tim
09-30-2014, 12:46 PM
I started with nems after 2.5 months. I have intense lighting, good flow and I was still doing weekly water changes. But try a rock nem. They are super cheap. I just picked one up at Petco for $10.

BRuby
09-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Chad you are really over thinking this. Go see Bush and get a RBTA and put it where you would like for it to be. You may get lucky and it will stay but it will probaby move to where it is happy. And then just leave it alone. I think the green ones are more likely to roam around and end up in a powerhead. I think anemones are one of the easiest things to keep. A lot of people will tell you that you need to wait a certain period of time but can't really tell you why. Just do it, the worst that can happen is you are out $45.

Romebaby
09-30-2014, 01:50 PM
We put our first nem in at 2 months and still have it today, and several splits since. I have about 25 small rainbows right now if you're interested in one.

charleshardy5
09-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Chad you are really over thinking this. Go see Bush and get a RBTA and put it where you would like for it to be. You may get lucky and it will stay but it will probaby move to where it is happy. And then just leave it alone. I think the green ones are more likely to roam around and end up in a powerhead. I think anemones are one of the easiest things to keep. A lot of people will tell you that you need to wait a certain period of time but can't really tell you why. Just do it, the worst that can happen is you are out $45.

+1,000,000,000 couldn't have said it better myself. Nems are super easy to care for, and I agree that rose is the best bet, mine has stayed on the same rock the entire year I've owned him now, even after a tank move, where as my green walks around almost every few days, sometimes parking on my corals and ticking them off. Go for it man

Levi
09-30-2014, 02:09 PM
We put our first nem in at 2 months and still have it today, and several splits since. I have about 25 small rainbows right now if you're interested in one.
Keeping in mind water changes and watching for swings this isn't a bad idea but just because I invested a million dollars in a small startup company and made billions of dollars, does NOT mean everyone else can. One persons results will not necessarily be your results and I agree with Brian, just go buy one and if it dies you are out.

Romebaby
09-30-2014, 02:47 PM
Keeping in mind water changes and watching for swings this isn't a bad idea but just because I invested a million dollars in a small startup company and made billions of dollars, does NOT mean everyone else can. One persons results will not necessarily be your results and I agree with Brian, just go buy one and if it dies you are out.

Nope, sure doesn't. Just giving another example.

Levi
09-30-2014, 05:14 PM
Nope, sure doesn't. Just giving another example.
Oh I know Rome lol I was just trying to make sure people realize you get what you put into this hobby. Your system is well taken care of and it shows.

Larrypueblo
09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm kind of surprise that you guys are telling some one to just get a nem and if it dies it dies just get a cheep one. if you take on an animal than you are taking on the responsibility of a living animal and that shouldn't taken lightly

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 07:06 PM
I think they're more getting at get a low cost one so that in the event it didn't survive he didn't spend a fortune on one.

Just_Tim
09-30-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm kind of surprise that you guys are telling some one to just get a nem and if it dies it dies just get a cheep one. if you take on an animal than you are taking on the responsibility of a living animal and that shouldn't taken lightly

If everyone worried like that there would be no hobby. It would be a sad thing if a new nem died but a new hobbyist would gain so much new confidence in their ability if it lives and thrives.

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 07:11 PM
I died once (well twice), but then I lived. Lol

Levi
09-30-2014, 07:13 PM

I think the point here is that we try and tell people to wait the recommended time of 6 months to 1 year and everyone else comes up with reasons why waiting that long isnt required. The end result will be the original poster going ahead and buying it and it dying or it living. If you were going to buy it anyways without waiting the pretty much hobby standard of 6 months to a year for a seasoned tank, then why ask in the first place. If you really wanted advice then take it and wait the 6 months to 1 year for a stable tank. Also while yes these are "animals" sorry but I do not have feelings for a nem like I do for a dog and sorry if that comes across as careless or rude but 99% of the nems we have available in this area are all aquacultured so the argument for saving the ocean cant even be made as most of these never came from the ocean.

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 07:17 PM
But what dictates stable tank? Merely time? Parameters? Aquarist ability to maintain it?

Where did this time frame come from?

I can recall just as many men's dieing in stable "industry norm waiting periods" as I can nems living in brand new systems.

If there were a test to determine a "nem ready environment" then I'd be selling it lol.

Oh wait there is one. U call it the toss nem in your tank and see how it does.

And why no love for a nem lea dog, you feed it, pet it, take it for walks and everything. I know I use to

Larrypueblo
09-30-2014, 07:23 PM
If everyone worried like that there would be no hobby. It would be a sad thing if a new nem died but a new hobbyist would gain so much new confidence in their ability if it lives and thrives.

I don't agree Tim, I'm just saying this is a living thing and we shouldn't have a throw away attitude about it. that we should make sure we can provide the best chance survival for it. if that means waiting 6 months to make sure our tank is stable enough. instead of always just feeding our instant gratification at a living animals expense.

Levi
09-30-2014, 07:40 PM
But what dictates stable tank? Merely time? Parameters? Aquarist ability to maintain it?

Where did this time frame come from?

I can recall just as many men's dieing in stable "industry norm waiting periods" as I can nems living in brand new systems.

If there were a test to determine a "nem ready environment" then I'd be selling it lol.

Oh wait there is one. U call it the toss nem in your tank and see how it does.

And why no love for a nem lea dog, you feed it, pet it, take it for walks and everything. I know I use to
The assumption is that by 6 months to 1 year you have high quality water and plenty of bacteria and pods in your system so it's good water conditions.

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Ahha you assume. Break it down and what does it make and out of who.

Yes it works both ways but one can never assume.

If he has other corals and fish doing great at 2 months can he not assume his tank is clearly capable of supporting life?

Levi
09-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Ahha you assume. Break it down and what does it make and out of who.

Yes it works both ways but one can never assume.

If he has other corals and fish doing great at 2 months can he not assume his tank is clearly capable of supporting life?

He could but for you to say "if he has other coral and fish are doing great in 2 months you are fine to buy a nem" and he is doing daily water changes to keep them alive, you assumed wrong as well as the only reason he is keeping the water quality somewhat able to keep stuff alive is by doing daily water changes. On a bio cube he shouldnt have to do daily water changes to keep things alive. When I had my bio cube I did a 15% water change every other week and my corals were all doing great and fish doing great.

See how it goes both ways lol

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 07:48 PM
My point is its not an industry normal when just as many ppl don't do it as ppl who do. It's a saying "thats how it's always done ". In army life that's the wrong way of thinking just because one is too lazy to do it right. Doing it right fits off of achieving the standard. And standards are dictated by time but by a clearly outlined set of goals. how ever much time is needed to reach those goals or standards is all the time needed..be it 2 months or 2 years.

If too much to comprehend my fault and I'll re verbalize

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 07:57 PM
He could but for you to say "if he has other coral and fish are doing great in 2 months you are fine to buy a nem" and he is doing daily water changes to keep them alive, you assumed wrong as well as the only reason he is keeping the water quality somewhat able to keep stuff alive is by doing daily water changes. On a bio cube he shouldnt have to do daily water changes to keep things alive. When I had my bio cube I did a 15% water change every other week and my corals were all doing great and fish doing great.

See how it goes both ways lol
Bit doing regular changes shows hood husbandry...and water quality is an end result. Not sure What your post means though. Water changes are water changes. Size and frequency are irrelevant if water quality is good

Levi
09-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Bit doing regular changes shows hood husbandry...and water quality is an end result. Not sure What your post means though. Water changes are water changes. Size and frequency are irrelevant if water quality is good

So good husbandry should equal stable tank? What does he do when he takes a 1 week vacation, expect someone to keep up the daily water changes for him or lose his nem?

Chadrw79
09-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Chad get the nem! Here is some inspiration of a nem that lives in a sump under all blue leds (dont ask who though).

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/b69069ff05b972aaee36298dd106fa40.jpg

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 08:08 PM
Then he shouldn't have any livestock of that's your thought process. Everyone's tank suffers on vacation compared to their normal routine unless you have that special someone...but who does

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 08:09 PM
Chad get the nem! Here is some inspiration of a nem that lives in a sump under all blue leds (dont ask who though).

[IMG]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/b69069ff05b972aaee36298dd106fa40.jpg[/IMG)

Those nems deserve better..animal cruelty. Tell ya what, have that abominable person hand them over to me no questions asked and I'll find them good sorta forever homes lol

sweat044
09-30-2014, 08:11 PM
I do bi-weekly water changes and test water weekly. I've been doing a lot of research this is why I haven't bought one on impulse. This is what the forum is for to get help and suggestions. Different people have different results. I know this. I've been on both ends.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 08:13 PM
I do bi-weekly water changes and test water weekly. I've been doing a lot of research this is why I haven't bought one on impulse. This is what the forum is for to get help and suggestions. Different people have different results. I know this. I've been on both ends.

And (wait for it....ultra rare moment about to happen here).....

Kudos to you good sir. This is truely the key to success in this hobby.

And moment over..everyone as you were lol

BRuby
09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
I guess I just don't understand what a nem needs that takes a year to accomplish. A nem needs saltwater and light, right? Both of which I assume he has. It doesn't live off of pods or anything else that takes time to develop. Once the tank is cycled, your water quality is better than it ever will be. There is truly no livestock that is easier to keep than a nem. You don't have to feed it. You don't need to worry about placement, it will move itself. Hell it even frags itself. Most of them thrive in dirty water. You almost can't mess it up.

Haddonisreef
09-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Not to stir the fire but in small systems the good bacteria w cycled lr not fresh dry stuff could sustain a nem 3-5 mths the thing they like is stability! Alk is the one I'd keep a eye on especially in smaller systems w mixed reef setting.

JimG
09-30-2014, 09:13 PM
I guess I just don't understand what a nem needs that takes a year to accomplish. A nem needs saltwater and light, right? Both of which I assume he has. It doesn't live off of pods or anything else that takes time to develop. Once the tank is cycled, your water quality is better than it ever will be. There is truly no livestock that is easier to keep than a nem. You don't have to feed it. You don't need to worry about placement, it will move itself. Hell it even frags itself. Most of them thrive in dirty water. You almost can't mess it up.

This. ^

On top of that in my experience my month and a half old tank has a huge, healthy, happy rose bubble in it. You can do it, just tend to your tank like you should anyway. Hell... I kept a sebae anemone in a 15 gallon tank with sexy shrimp for years. Like I said, this is just my opinion and my experience. I just thought it might help your decision.

GrassHoppa'
09-30-2014, 09:49 PM
You are all wrong!! Anemones should only be purchased while there's a full moon. If purchased any other time it is guaranteed to die. Now if it's a gift your in the clear. Just make sure what ever you do you don't buy one unless it's a full moon. Don't ask why because the guy that gave me this valuable info didn't tell me before he was hit by a bus. Just my .02

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 10:02 PM
I've always gotta full moon when I wear my BIG G pants lol. I'd gladly show ya next time your over Adam lol. Then u can buy A nem too

Levi
09-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Not to stir the fire but in small systems the good bacteria w cycled lr not fresh dry stuff could sustain a nem 3-5 mths the thing they like is stability! Alk is the one I'd keep a eye on especially in smaller systems w mixed reef setting.
+1 thanks for the input since you are considered pretty much in my book a nem expert having some of the most expensive nems available in the hobby.

Levi
09-30-2014, 10:05 PM

+1 awesome and if you feel your system is ready then do like Bruby said and buy one! You and only you can be the judge of when you are ready no matter what anyone says.

Levi
09-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Then he shouldn't have any livestock of that's your thought process. Everyone's tank suffers on vacation compared to their normal routine unless you have that special someone...but who does
I'm not talking about him specifically and your statement is untrue. I could pee in JJs tanks and there would be no ill effects.

Sharkboy99999
09-30-2014, 10:07 PM
who cares if it dies it's natural selection

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm not talking about him specifically and your statement is untrue. I could pee in JJs tanks and there would be no ill effects.
You say that but I doubt jj would agree. And we'll see what happens starting 12 October lol

Balz3352
09-30-2014, 11:05 PM
If your water perams is stable go for it!

Balz3352
09-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Wow terrible English ^^^^^^ I is smart!!
😒

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:06 PM
We talkin a little dribble or full morning download

charleshardy5
09-30-2014, 11:07 PM
who cares if it dies it's natural selection

are you for real right now lol?

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Wow terrible English ^^^^^^ I is smart!!
😒
Most of us here speak poor grammar, jibberish, fat finger, auto correct, bad swipe and non sense....your in good company lol

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:09 PM
are you for real right now lol?
Natural selection lol. Hitler must've been the selector switch that went from semi to burst

charleshardy5
09-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Natural selection lol. Hitler must've been the selector switch that went from semi to burst

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/01/u6u7eru2

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:17 PM
Totally of topic but....
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/5b974ee471324ed6295b3367194910f6.jpg

Sharkboy99999
09-30-2014, 11:17 PM
Okay that different . The stupid die bad smart live you stick the nem on the tank and let's sat it's now ready and it dies but if it split because it's feel threatened then it has a bigger chance of one surviving not saying the other half is going to live it has a bigger chance then not splitting .

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:18 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/f8684f5bf15a37f65f8d6065e051bc53.jpg

Sharkboy99999
09-30-2014, 11:20 PM
I guess i have fat fingers lol

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:22 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/03734c11da60290ce32249cef5c31312.jpg

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Ok, back on topic.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY.......
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/243173a24b28c98bb9b042151a8d67fd.jpg

Sharkboy99999
09-30-2014, 11:30 PM
I say you should just get a nem and of it start looking bad you can give ti Someone that had tank ready for one and hope it gets better then when you think your ready give it back . That was my plain when I got my first nem on my 30 but putting it in one of my other tanks that had a nem

Sharkboy99999
09-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Of if ti to all the same think ^

Coral Xpressions
09-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Lol

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/6cf5d7651e7d3734045c1f406fa93591.jpg

charleshardy5
09-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Lol

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/30/6cf5d7651e7d3734045c1f406fa93591.jpg

Rodger that

Haddonisreef
10-01-2014, 05:14 AM
+1 thanks for the input since you are considered pretty much in my book a nem expert having some of the most expensive nems available in the hobby.

Thanks man that means a lot!

sweat044
10-01-2014, 10:14 AM
Well this was helpful, funny and intersting all in the same thread. Thanks for all the information.

Levi
10-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Well this was helpful, funny and intersting all in the same thread. Thanks for all the information.

LOL glad we could provide a lively discussion on all the differing opinions of anemone care!

TheMadReefer
10-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Don't forget animal rights, Levi. lol

Levi
10-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Lol

sweat044
10-07-2014, 08:06 PM
So yesterday I got an anemone. Thanks to romebaby. So far so good. Pics below. Also, if you haven't seen his setup. WOW!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/08/yneveduh.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/08/ujy7ygyg.jpg

charleshardy5
10-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Very nice, looks good! Just keep a watchful eye out and stay on top your maintenance and you should have a happy healthy nem
Last time I checked my watch this was America!

Joe
10-07-2014, 08:16 PM
If it dies, eat it so you could technically be a hunter, or sea farmer.

Sharkboy99999
10-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Or if it starts to look bad just give it to me ;)

charleshardy5
10-07-2014, 10:21 PM
If it dies, eat it so you could technically be a hunter, or sea farmer.

Chad the Fisherman? Harvester of the sea.... Pretty sure Primus wrote a song about that once... ;)

Redneck_Reefer
10-07-2014, 10:46 PM
So yesterday I got an anemone. Thanks to romebaby. So far so good. Pics below. Also, if you haven't seen his setup. WOW!!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/08/yneveduh.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/08/ujy7ygyg.jpg

Looks good. congrats on the plunge

scrumpto
10-08-2014, 03:21 AM
Here's my nem advice from experience but do what you want -- others have succeeded without this advice but this gives your nem the best chance of success.

Start with a well cycled system with pristine water.
Have no other corals in the tank and if possible, no fish.
The corals will get stung, the fish pollute the tank.
Have plenty of random flow but no place for the nem to get sucked into a pump or powerhead (they'll find it).
Feed the nem shrimp or krill once a week.
Change the water as needed but keep it pristine.
Use strong halide lighting
Don't provide too much of a place for the nem to hide. Many people put them in pvc tubes in only a few inches of water to prevent the stupid nem from crawling under a rock.

For those who say you don't need to feed a nem, you're correct and wrong at the same time. Form follows function -- the nem has a mouth for a reason and it wants to be fed. Yes it can survive on light alone but why do this to the nem when it wants to eat?

When you've successfully kept the nem for six months and it's grown instead of shunk, add clown fish and you'll have an amazing tank. If you feel lucky, add more nems as well.

Enjoy!

sweat044
10-13-2014, 10:27 AM
So the nem is still alive. I think that it has been in every spot so far in the tank. The thing moves on an hourly basis. Is there something that I can do to help it find a nice place to stay put? I fed it some silversides on Friday thinking it would stay and nope an hour later it moved again.

Coral Xpressions
10-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Just wait it out. Leace it alone and change nothing in the tank. When it finds its spot it will stop. Don't add or remove anything

sweat044
10-13-2014, 10:43 AM
10-4 Rodger that good buddy!

Just wait it out. Leace it alone and change nothing in the tank. When it finds its spot it will stop. Don't add or remove anything

Just_Tim
10-13-2014, 10:43 AM

+1. This seems to be the month of anemone unrest.

charleshardy5
10-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Haha yes yes, no new corals, no new fish, no new rick, no new flow or light, he'll get happy! My gbta is right back to moving all over the place after his split and it seems like my rainbows have started to join the party now as well
Last time I checked my watch this was America!

sweat044
10-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Think the men has found its spot. 3 days same spot. Fingers crossed.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/16/3eje8yby.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/16/y5uma6a2.jpg

Coral Xpressions
10-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Very nice

scrumpto
10-17-2014, 05:52 PM
So the nem is still alive. I think that it has been in every spot so far in the tank. The thing moves on an hourly basis. Is there something that I can do to help it find a nice place to stay put? I fed it some silversides on Friday thinking it would stay and nope an hour later it moved again.

In my experience they won't eat when they're wandering.

sweat044
11-22-2014, 10:40 PM
So I've had the nem for over a month and my clowns will not go near it? Thoughts? I got the nem for the clowns!

Just_Tim
11-22-2014, 11:19 PM
You can't always force it. I think Levi tried trapping a pair in close proximity to a target host. They will or they won't.

charleshardy5
11-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Patience

We The Sheeple

Coral Xpressions
11-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Tape a picture of clowns in a nem to tank. They'll figure it out