PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps | psk-75

TheMadReefer
09-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Would this skimmer work for my newbie tank?

http://www.eshopps.com/products/proteinskimmer/insump/psk75/

static reef
09-22-2014, 11:12 PM
I cant remember if your tank is drilled brother or if you opted not to do it. This is designed for an in sump only and not a hang on the back. I dont have much experience with these but someone here might.

sent from FBI van #43

Levi
09-22-2014, 11:28 PM
I'd go with an aqua c remora hang on the back just like what Tim has in the sump of his 90g

Just_Tim
09-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Mine is the Urchin. But it functions the same. Just not a hob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hooked
09-23-2014, 10:26 AM
I haven't researched skimmer for a long time. But I think these are a cheaper skimmer that with some modifications can function pretty well. Just google psk-75 skimmer mods.

TheMadReefer
09-23-2014, 06:05 PM
@JJ It's not drilled , but I'm getting an hob overflow and using the sump (after I install and reconfigure a couple of baffles.

static reef
09-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Well in that case there's a plethora of skimmers to choose from. Reef octopus tends to be my choice but, I love the cad lights skimmer I have on the 60 gallon cube. Very easy to dial in and oulls pretty good. Picked it up for 100 used

sent from FBI van #43

hooked
09-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Do lots of research and then ask more questions. You do not want to get stuck with a skimmer that you don't like. There are tons of good ones out there. Tons of bad ones too.

TheMadReefer
09-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Right now, I'm looking at affordability but not bottom of the barrel either. A 4" reef octopus isn't out of the question I suppose.

static reef
09-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Right now, I'm looking at affordability but not bottom of the barrel either. A 4" reef octopus isn't out of the question I suppose.

A skimmer is something you dont want to "skim on". Full pun intended. This is something you should spend some time and money on. This hobby unfortunately is a little easier if you invest in it. Im not saying you need to spend 100's but what alot of us do is look around and find the exact type that you want, and then wait it out until you find it slightly used on ebay, cl, or the club forums. Once you find the make and model, start a thread and we can all sharp shoot it for you. Then if you still decide that is the one you want we can all keep an eye out for it.

sent from FBI van #43

steamboat
09-23-2014, 09:18 PM
The PSK-75 is the in-sump version. The PSK-75H is the hang on the back of the tank version. I had the PSK-75H for about 4 years and it finally broke when I dropped it on the floor and cracked the plastic. I was looking at the PSK-75H to replace it, but decided on the slightly larger PSK-100H skimmer because I put too much food in the tank and have too much livestock. The upgrade to the 100H didn't cost much but is an in 1" larger in diameter which makes a huge difference. Plus the sicee pump is really quiet, yet powerful. For a budget skimmer, I would recommend it based on personal use.

TheMadReefer
09-24-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks Steamboat! I was looking at the fact it has a Sicce needle wheel pump. That is what impressed me on a $100 skimmer.