PDA

View Full Version : Talk about lucky!

SpaceOps
09-22-2014, 02:51 PM
We went to the annual auction at the university earlier this year and there was a water filtration system up for auction. It's supposed to produce laboratory-grade water that's nearly TDS-free when it's working right. I figured it might have just enough I got it for $20, thinking it might be a cheap gamble. There's a built-in TDS meter and an electric pump that recirculates water through the canisters to make it even more pure. I finally hooked it up this morning and ran some water through it. I'm getting 16 megohms/centimeter, which is about less than 1/100 ppm TDS. Sometimes you get lucky. http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g46/coloradorocket/DIY/0914141808b.jpg

hooked
09-22-2014, 03:00 PM
You can't argue with that. Does it take standard size filters? Can't quite tell with the picture angle.

Murfman
09-22-2014, 03:01 PM
Nice score. I wonder what the filter elements are gonna run.

SpaceOps
09-22-2014, 04:21 PM
12 inch long cartridges. Not what I would call standard. I've been looking at the refillable cartridges that you can get online, and comparing to the design of these cartridges. Nobody seems to sell 12 inch . As you know, I'm Mr. DIY. Lowes had pretty much everything I need to make my own cartridges out of ABS plastic for about ten bucks a canister. When the current DI is exhausted I will cut the canisters open and renew the resin with muriatic acid and lye mixtures. There's a how-to on YouTube.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

Murfman
09-22-2014, 04:39 PM
12 inch long cartridges. Not what I would call standard. I've been looking at the refillable cartridges that you can get online, and comparing to the design of these cartridges. Nobody seems to sell 12 inch . As you know, I'm Mr. DIY. Lowes had pretty much everything I need to make my own cartridges out of ABS plastic for about ten bucks a canister. When the current DI is exhausted I will cut the canisters open and renew the resin with muriatic acid and lye mixtures. There's a how-to on YouTube.

That works for the DI part, what about the sediment and carbon blocks?

SpaceOps
09-22-2014, 05:03 PM
The sediment filter is right before where I tapped into the water supply with the saddle valve. The carbon filter adapter is easy. All I need is about a two inch length of large diameter soft rubber or clear plastic tubing between the carbon filter and the bottom of the canister so I can use the standard 10 inch carbon filter. Just need something that's stiff enough 2 provide good support to the carbon filter under a little bit of pressure, but soft enough to provide a good enough seal to force the water from the center core out through the carbon media. Since it doesn't have s out through the bottom anyway, I could use any flat disc, like an ABS end cap.