PDA

View Full Version : Moving Question

cfisk
06-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Well now that we got the new 150 gallon set up and established, we're going to have to move. My husband and I are relocating to MN. We really don't want to sell the fish, but also realize it'd be a pain to try to move them... We've grown attached to the little fellas. :(

Does anyone have any advice? Is there a chance we could easily move them, or do we have to sell them off and start new after the move?

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jkhogan
06-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I moved my saltwater from Michigan to Dallas and did not have any issues.......I got a big rubber maid tub and had a air tube that was running and heater and they moved great. Had no issues at all.

cfisk
06-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow that's encouraging. How were the heater and air tube powered? Did you have any issues with water leaking/spilling?

Levi
06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Items needed to make the move possible (keep in mind that the stress of being in buckets etc is a huge factor and why retail fish stores calculate for loss in income shipments):

heaters for each bucket
Air pump or pumps to have an airstone in each bucket
enough fresh saltwater with heaters to keep warm to do a partial water change in each bucket unless the tear down, trip and setup is all in one day
dc to ac converter capable of enough wattage to power all the heaters and pumps needed for this

larger fish should be kept in a bucket by themselves as the tight quarters are not helpful in lowering stress when packed with fish

What fish do you have? It may be best to sell them and rebuy when you get setup. Keep in mind you are in the middle of a move and will be rushing to get there and set up to keep the fish alive.

Another option is to have someone house the fish and then pay to ship them fedex overnight air. For a regular person to do this plan on about $75 per box to ship overnight air plus cost of shipping container itself (10-15)

I would not make a long move and take fish with me personally because of the many what ifs. What if the tank breaks in the move? What will you do with the fish at that point? Will there be a petstore close enough that carries a tank etc?

I would either ship them to myself at the new address or sell them and rebuy at the new residence, and most likely I would do the latter of these 2 options.

cfisk
06-09-2014, 03:27 PM
We really don't have a lot of fish or finicky ones. But we've had them for a year so are attached. We have a clown, a 6 line wrasse, 3 chromies, a stupid blue damsel, a choral beauty angelfish, and a yellow goby. We also have a few corals: a zoa rock, a few zoa frags, frog spawn, and a birds nest frag. Nothing major at all, would traveling be tough?

Sharkboy99999
06-09-2014, 09:14 PM
+1 on shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Levi
06-09-2014, 09:34 PM
What are your moving plans? All in one day drive? Or stopping at hotel?

Sent from your LG G2 using Tapatalk

Levi
06-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Large Rubbermaid tub is hard to move once in place because of water weight and can splash and spill. I would get 5g buckets at home depot. Drill lid for air line in, air line out to relieve air and cord for heater. Use silicone to seal airlines and heater cord. Use the lids that seal with rubber gasket. That's how I would do it.

cfisk
06-09-2014, 10:05 PM
What are your moving plans? All in one day drive? Or stopping at hotel?

The drive is anywhere from 12-15 hours, depending on traffic and whatnot.

Thanks so much for the advice! We're actually moving the house in multiple shifts, so it's likely that we truly could have a tank set up at the new location before we drive the livestock. We have a lot to figure out logistically, but now we have ideas. Thank you!

Levi
06-09-2014, 10:07 PM
That would be awesome if you could have a tank up and running before you take the livestock.