PDA

View Full Version : skimmer recommendations

notchback5.0
05-07-2008, 08:03 AM
I am looking for an in sump skimmer that will support up to a 100 gal tank... Anyone have recommendations? Not trying to sell my first born to afford if possible LOL

LDogg
05-07-2008, 08:07 AM
how much are you looking to spend? how much space do you have to work with?

aquaman2000
05-07-2008, 08:10 AM
ASM G-1X at most places on line it is $256 plus freight. I can do it for $250 including freight. The G-1X is rated to 150 gallons so will handle the 100 gallon tank with large sump and a SPS load. If you need more there is a needle wheel mod if it is to much..... feed more...LOL

Scott

notchback5.0
05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
I have up to a 12x12 foot print which I can slightly adjust if I need to since I am converting a 20gal long to a sump/fuge right now . I know going cheap on the skimmer will be a bad choice, but I really dont want to spend 250$ on a skimmer if I can avoid it but cheap and good usually dont go in the same sentence.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Scott we can talk about skimmers when I pick up that stuff from you this weekend... I am doing research right now... this will be for the 100 gal I am going to be setting up at the end of the year when i move into my new place. My diy skimmer is working fine for my 55. I am going to try and do a recirc mod to it to see if I can get it to produce even more. my diy is more of an experiement.

Deuce67
05-07-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/Protein-Skimmers-Octopus-Skimmers/c22_35/p47/Octopus-Needlewheel-150/product_info.html

aquaman2000
05-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Look at it this way, If you buy the right one to start with you will be saving money. Buying a cheap piece of junk that does not get the job done is a waste. It does not get you buy till you can afford the right one. It only causes problems with your tank and uses up money that could have gone the right one. Then when you sell the piece of junk you will get pennies on the dollar.

This is not a cheap hobby, and you do not want to cut corners, unless you want cut corner results. It does not matter what it is, in the long run it always cheaper to it right the first time. Even if you do not go with the ASM..... get a top line skimmer and not a piece of junk you will crushing with you truck out in the street next month and spending even more money to do it right. I have been in the saltwater hobby since the early eighties..... I have made a lot of mistakes. Don't be like me, let the people that know help you.

notchback5.0
05-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I hear you... That is why I am doing research now and starting to save for the stuff now. I am not planning skimping...

aquaman2000
05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
No problem.... like you said, we can talk about in more detail this weekend.

lmarc78
05-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Dwayne,
ASM rocks. I have a G-1x and I love it. I'm looking to put the G-1x in the wifey's 40gln and go with a G-3 or 4. the are very reliable and easy to adjust.

Reefkoi
05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
If you want a good one but want to do it cheap, I say look for a used skimmer then.
Plenty of people on RC upgrade from good skimmers to very good and then very expensive so you can catch them on their way up the skimmer ladder and score.
I'll keep my eyes peeled and if I see one that looks good for you, let you know.
C

xsocali
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Aquamart up in Denver has the asm2 for $240.oo and the asm 3 for $279.00...
Bought mine asm 3 at Fishy and Keith match the online price with no shipping,

RoushRacer
05-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Euro-Reef RS100 kicks butt right out of the box, and about the same price as an ASM 3.

Medium bioload for 100g though, so you'd want to step up to the RS135 for heavy stocked SPS. ER are better quality IMO compared to Octopus or ASM and are supposed to be close to there advertised ratings unlike the other two. Also no need to mod like the other two, good to go out of the box.

aquaman2000
05-08-2008, 08:15 AM
The ASM and OCTOPUS are ER knock offs. The same Mods apply as needed. I run both and would take the ASM over ER every day. Here is why. You don't need to pay top dollar for the same thing. The only difference between the two is the body. ER is cast and ASM is extruded. That is it, why pay more for something that does not matter. The gate valve mod is needed on the ER also. The up / down adjustment of the tube is crud and very difficult to fine tune. The need wheel mod is only to increase the amount a gallons the skimmer can handle. If you get the right skimmer the fist time, there is no need to do that. Some times you find a great deal on a used one that is a size to small, with the needle wheel mod you increase its efficiency and again save money. While having a properly sized skimmer.

Thurge
05-08-2008, 11:19 AM
If memory serves, ASM also dissasembles at the neck.

Nothing rolls off the tongue like Euroreef though. :)

RoushRacer
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
The ASM and OCTOPUS are ER knock offs. The same Mods apply as needed. I run both and would take the ASM over ER every day. Here is why. You don't need to pay top dollar for the same thing. The only difference between the two is the body. ER is cast and ASM is extruded. That is it, why pay more for something that does not matter. The gate valve mod is needed on the ER also. The up / down adjustment of the tube is crud and very difficult to fine tune. The need wheel mod is only to increase the amount a gallons the skimmer can handle. If you get the right skimmer the fist time, there is no need to do that. Some times you find a great deal on a used one that is a size to small, with the needle wheel mod you increase its efficiency and again save money. While having a properly sized skimmer.

Ah, ok I stand corrected then.

After reading the bazillion posts on ER on RC, they seemed to agree that the ER had better design, pump, materials, etc, but who knows may just be a product loyalty thing or whatever.

I just know personally I bought an ASM and wasn't happy with it and that's why I'm using the ER now.

Murfman
05-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Only ***** I have about my Ocotopus 200 is the acrylic is brittle. I cracked the collection cup just cleaning it. Other than that, It works great.

LDogg
05-08-2008, 02:39 PM
how about a custom ORCA.... :D

RoushRacer
05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
how about a custom ORCA.... :D

/drool

Reefkoi
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Man you guys could argue over what skimmer is best all day long eh? It's almost as bad as the ford vs: chevy debate :) http://planetsmilies.net/violent-smiley-1424.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

notchback5.0
05-08-2008, 03:56 PM
ford vs: chevy debate :)

We all now there isnt much of a debate there... Ford is the best :w00t:

** waits for haters **

Reefkoi
05-08-2008, 04:10 PM
I personally think Jack Daniels is the best.
C

Thurge
05-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I would have to agree on teh Elixer of Life.

But according to the family genealogists The Wild Turkey Distillery was sold to he founders by my family, so I am partial to that also.

racer69
05-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I'll take a good tequila any day. Chris has tasted the difference between an ok tequila and a good tequila recently.

Reefkoi
05-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Yep and what was the name of that tequila Todd? I was trying to find it the other day when ordering a margarita.
C

RoushRacer
05-08-2008, 07:35 PM
We all now there isnt much of a debate there... Ford is the best :w00t:

** waits for haters **

Doesn't everyone know that :iagree:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/RoushRacer00/boobies.gif

I miss the ol' Roush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/RoushRacer00/uuujjjj.jpg

Digging the 66 though

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/RoushRacer00/stang1.jpg

aquaman2000
05-08-2008, 07:36 PM
you know.... they finally figured out what is wrong with all the fords...

Someone wrote it down and CIRCLED IT!!!

lmarc78
05-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I personally think Jack Daniels is the best.
C

I like the Beam the Jack is too sweet.

Murfman
05-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Jack is a; Tennessee ("sour mash") whiskey has been filtered through sugar maple charcoal in large wooden vats prior to aging.

Reefkoi
05-08-2008, 07:54 PM
Jack is a; Tennessee ("sour mash") whiskey has been filtered through sugar maple charcoal in large wooden vats prior to aging.

That's why it is so damn good ;)
C

LDogg
05-09-2008, 08:50 AM
you know.... they finally figured out what is wrong with all the fords...

Someone wrote it down and CIRCLED IT!!!

easy big fella....... :D

Personally I prefer Crown Royal XR.

aquaman2000
05-09-2008, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=LDogg;26290]easy big fella....... :D

LMAO!!!

I'm glad someone got it!!!

racer69
05-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Yep and what was the name of that tequila Todd? I was trying to find it the other day when ordering a margarita.
C

Chris, that was Corazon Tequila. Yummmmy!