PDA

View Full Version : Quick Cycle Question

lsaint
05-12-2014, 10:03 PM
When I get my 40b done I am wanting to just transfer everything from my current setup to the new one. Because where I want the the new tank is where the old tank is running. The Question I have is will I have to cycle the tank if I use dry rock and sand and all the rock in my current setup and I will add some Microbacter From Brightwell. Or what is the best way of doing this

Levi
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
You are adding 11g of water and your volume from the sump. You will have a mini cycle if you start sticking it but you should be good if you don't add any fish right away.

Sent from your LG G2 using Tapatalk

lsaint
05-12-2014, 10:19 PM
I would have to add them to the new tank right away. When one tank goes up the other must come down. lol I might be able to setup a QT tank for the fish but what about my corals.

charleshardy5
05-12-2014, 10:21 PM
I was gonna ask the same question for when I set up the 100 but I'll be adding about 60 gallons volume all said and done. but I kinda figured what you described Levi but 2nd opinions are great. I'm ginna have to get a big qt going to hold all my crap till the big tank settles out o.O

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Levi
05-12-2014, 10:45 PM
Corals will be fine. Remember that the rock and sand contain nearly all the bacteria so using your current sand and rock without adding any more of a load should be fine. When you start stocking it with fish is when you will test the amount of bacteria you have. Give it a few months after you make the move before you add anything else. Kicking up the sand will cause a mini cycle but you should be able to manage it with water changes.

Brian
05-12-2014, 10:57 PM
From my experience, your current fish have created a balance to the live bacteria in the existing tank. If you can move as much of the live sand/rock harboring the bacteria, your cycle will be quick if you don't add to the tank before the cycle completes. If you do add new stuff I've seen the cycle stretch out over a long time our sometimes it just crashes. Adding live bacteria can help but it can be overdosed too. Just my opinion tho, best of luck.

coach
05-12-2014, 11:03 PM
My experience is that yes, you can switch tanks right away using the same sand, rocks, water, etc. But I also learned from experience to keep an airstrike, power head or something to keep O2 in the agua. Also keep the temp relatively stable during the move.

Git_r_done2x
05-12-2014, 11:31 PM
I have used instant ocean bio-spira I believe it is called a few times with great success doing this exact thing. Not saying that it is fail proof but has worked for me.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Joe
05-12-2014, 11:31 PM
I've done it before and had no problems when I used Dr Tim's Nitrifying bacteria. Microbater or other product might work as well. I had to transfer rock and livestock from a 40 breeder and 46 gallon bow front to a 180 and it went well. If your new rock is very clean and doesn't have dead organics on it, it shouldn't cause a cycle. The stirred up sand could release stuff you want to watch out for. I would recommend having some Prime to detoxify ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I'd have an airstone running and be ready to add carbon and do water changes if needed (if the corals start looking bad and start releasing toxins). If you have a refugium and can move it from one tank to the other without disturbing it too much, that could help. I think Levi is talking about if you add new fish to the tank quickly as in going out and buying more to fill up the tank with them plus the ones you currently have. What you currently have should be okay with the live rock you are transferring over.

lsaint
05-12-2014, 11:59 PM
ya I am only transferring not buying anything for bit

Levi
05-13-2014, 06:32 AM
I've done it before and had no problems when I used Dr Tim's Nitrifying bacteria. Microbater or other product might work as well. I had to transfer rock and livestock from a 40 breeder and 46 gallon bow front to a 180 and it went well. If your new rock is very clean and doesn't have dead organics on it, it shouldn't cause a cycle. The stirred up sand could release stuff you want to watch out for. I would recommend having some Prime to detoxify ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I'd have an airstone running and be ready to add carbon and do water changes if needed (if the corals start looking bad and start releasing toxins). If you have a refugium and can move it from one tank to the other without disturbing it too much, that could help. I think Levi is talking about if you add new fish to the tank quickly as in going out and buying more to fill up the tank with them plus the ones you currently have. What you currently have should be okay with the live rock you are transferring over.

Yes exactly

lsaint
05-13-2014, 10:39 AM
I think I will be good I have about 40lb of LR in my system now I think I will add only like 5lb of dry rock and I will add dry sand and put the top layer of live sand in my old tank and put it on to of the dry sand

Sent from my HTCPO881 Sprint using Tapatalk