PDA

View Full Version : How to shut down my tank for a move for a few months?

helpwithhealing
04-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm moving and there is damage to the wall behind my 120 gal tank. The real estate agent thinks I should get it repaired before we list the house. Its probably going to be 4-6 months before I set the tank up again. I don't have many fish but I'm going to sell them off but my concern is my substrate. It is 6-8 inches deep and I have at least 200 lbs of live rock and I want to keep that - I can't afford to buy it again and I like the rocks I have. What should I do so I can restart both without killing off my fish from all the decay. I don't know a whole lot about keeping saltwater tanks, mine survived because its a big tank and only about 8 fish.

Levi
04-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Sand in buckets and rock in rubber maid tubs. Dry the rock out in the sunny summer months and after emptying the rubber maid tubs dump 1 bucket of sand at a time into the tub and rinse it with fresh water. Effectively you will be starting over and cycling the whole tank. Only way to really do it. You could put it all in a tub full of saltwater and a heater and pump in the garage and try and keep it all alive but I don't see the benefit to that.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

BRuby
04-01-2014, 09:40 PM
I would keep it all in a big trough. I would rinse the sand with your tank water first and put it all in one container with a powerhead and maybe a heater. I kept about 100 lbs in a tub with no heater and no light for about 5 months with no ill effects at all.

Levi
04-01-2014, 09:52 PM
+1

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

static reef
04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
+ 1. Personally I would just let everything die. Turning sand and rock live again is a matter of weeks.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sharkboy99999
04-02-2014, 11:38 AM
I thought it took 9 month to turn back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charleshardy5
04-02-2014, 11:47 AM
There are ways to expedite the process

Joe
04-02-2014, 12:11 PM
If you get some live sand and a piece of rock from a tank you trust and add some Dr. Tim's Nitrifying bacteria, you can speed it to a week. As long as you clean the rock well and don't introduce organics back into the tank, it works very well. Some people aren't comfortable speeding it up, but I've had great success. I'd say slower is safer, and it's a personal choice, but for me this method worked with zero hiccups.

freedominco
04-02-2014, 02:14 PM
+ 1. Personally I would just let everything die. Turning sand and rock live again is a matter of weeks.

+++1