PDA

View Full Version : T5 vs LED

charleshardy5
04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
So I'm curious as to the actual benefits here. I just supplemented my 150w EVO leds with a two bulb t5 fixture. Im noticing some stuff now and its got me thinking. My blue sympodium stopped opening up as much. Its about mid level tank. My GSP in my sand bed looks like its starting to bleach out its polyps. The devils armor frag in my sand bed looks dull but the colors are still there. Duncans, frogspawn, chalice hammer and acans as well as my sps seem to be loving the upgrade though. Ive put in a request to be added to the wait list for the par meter so I can maybe get a better idea of what's going on in there. I guess my real question is are there any real benefits to LED over T5 aside from power consumption and not having to replace bulbs every so often? Would it be okay to switch to all t5s? I like the way the corals pop much mo betta under my blue t5s than the leds, just looks a tad more natural to me. I guess im just really thinking aloud here and am very curious what others think in regards to this whole deal.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

sweat044
04-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I ran a T5 over my 40 breeder and some corals did awesome and others struggled. Under the LED's the same, some do great and others struggle. I think that is why many people are going with the combination lights. Just my $.02.

kutcha
04-01-2014, 01:23 PM
When I switched from my it-2060 to my radions everything popped so much better and growing

Levi
04-01-2014, 01:41 PM
When I switched from my it-2060 to my radions everything popped so much better and growing

keep in mind that each person has their own results, there is a BIG post on RC documenting a comparison between radions and 2060s and the overwhelming determination is no difference except for a huge price tag (taking growth and color into consideration). Obviously if you have to have the caddy of lights just because then get the radions. They do look gorgeous, I have seen them in person and they look awesome. They are easy to play around with and get the right spectrum you want as compared to other units for less than 1/2 the cost.

Me personally I am designing LED fixtures, I was going to put them over the 240g but plans changed there, so back to my original project which is to put them inside of a coralife pro light fixture (gutting the MH and PC) and then run 4x T5s during the 2hr peak. I will post some pics, I have an extra unit that is going to be my project unit. Once completed I will gut my other unit and make a second fixture (48" long units) for GreaseballPauls tank.

Murfman
04-01-2014, 01:56 PM
He runs his MH 2 hours a day and the other is 6' SVHO Super Actinic; http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?1898-Some-new-coral-pic-s

charleshardy5
04-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Cool cool. I appreciate the input so far. I haven't gone as far as looking into MH setups yet. Im not sure I want to dwal with the heat and power consumption issues though from everything I've ever read most people get spectacular growth using MH. I like the concept of suplimenting my LEDs with the t5s. I think its potentially the best route to go short of spending ridoculous ammounts of money on high end Cadillac lights as Levi pointed out. Upon further wheel turning in my dome I came up with the idea that perhaps the placement of my t5s is my big issue... they're just one inch from the surface. This is why I requested the par meter. Maybe im just blasting the moderate light corals with too much and new to raise my fixture. I dunno to be honest. I know its kinda hard but I've been building my whole settup as a budget reef haha. I am well aware that lighting is something you shouldn't skimp on but at the same time, there are more affordable options out there that potentially work just as well as the expensive stuff. I guess I was thinking it wouldn't be so tough to trade my LEDs for a 4 bulb vho t5 settup one of these days if I ever decided to head that route with lighting. Im almost like a goldfish when it comes to attention span with my equipment. I see something and am totally enamoured for a few minutes then its gone and something new and shiney takes its place. Im almost fairly certain I just need to dial in what I have to make it work for my settup.

greaseballpaul
04-01-2014, 02:58 PM
I went from t5 and PC to led about a year ago. Huge difference in color of course. Growth increased with led at first. I think I would try setting anything bleaching to a lower depth or try to increase shadowing for those pieces if its easier. I am similar to you or was over the last year anyway with changing out equip. Not real sure what had which effect on anything truthfully. Half the fun of any hobby I take up is the tinkering and learning.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Murfman
04-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Corals need time to ajdust, just like we don't go out and spend 12 hours in direct sunlight with nothing but SPF-0 on. If they have been used to LED in X spectrum and XXX PAR and then you ad T5 in Y spectrum and YYY par, it is going to stress them.

charleshardy5
04-01-2014, 04:36 PM
They've been up and running for almost a month now and im just starting to notice this stuff. Perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention though. I defimitely wouldn't rule out my own absentmindedness. Speaking of new awesome stuff does anyone else blast their tank with heavy metal at least once a day to encourage growth ;)

JLAURENCE32
04-02-2014, 03:12 PM
He runs his MH 2 hours a day and the other is 6' SVHO Super Actinic; http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?1898-Some-new-coral-pic-s

Wow! That's a blast from the past just to look at some of those usernames. Tim had the best color I've seen. He used to feed his corals like crazy and they definitely had plenty of light. Alot of my corals were from his tank.

JLAURENCE32
04-02-2014, 03:16 PM
I've seen and heard of so many guys doing the combo now. Why not get the best of both worlds?.. Of course things will need time to adjust. The healthier the coral is, the faster. Spot feeding may help during that time.

charleshardy5
04-02-2014, 06:29 PM
I've seen and heard of so many guys doing the combo now. Why not get the best of both worlds?.. Of course things will need time to adjust. The healthier the coral is, the faster. Spot feeding may help during that time.

You know I never spot deed anything aside from my Duncans chalice. I may just give that a shot. Thanks for the derp reminder :)

Levi
04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
Wow! That's a blast from the past just to look at some of those usernames. Tim had the best color I've seen. He used to feed his corals like crazy and they definitely had plenty of light. Alot of my corals were from his tank.

what type of ballast do you run with those URI super actinic bulbs? They are t12 bulbs and the 46.5" bulb is 110w alone.