PDA

View Full Version : No bubbles in my coral life skimmer.

static reef
04-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Ok guys I have tried everything. Im sure that the problem is so small that I have passed it up. I added a pump to a used coral life skimmer 125. Tried to put it in the new tank and everything works fine. The only problem is that I have very few bubbles. Almost none. When I blow into the air line I have bubbles but it stops immediately. Throw me some advice.
The pump is in less than 5 inches of water and the airline is brand new.

For the clowns.

NO I will not blow into my skimmer forever.
NO I will not pay someone to blow into my skimmer.
NO I Wil not force my child to blow into the skimmer.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Levi
04-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Salt creep in venturi valve? I had a coralife and hated it, had to add an airpump and wood airstone inside a piece of PVC attached to the inlet of the water pump so it sucked in super fine bubbles. Is it a needle wheel pump?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

static reef
04-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Yeah its a needle wheel. I did a bunch of reading and most people seem to really enjoy them. I just can't get it started.

Levi
04-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Yeah mine would just quit randomly so I added the wooden airstone

charleshardy5
04-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Ok guys I have tried everything. Im sure that the problem is so small that I have passed it up. I added a pump to a used coral life skimmer 125. Tried to put it in the new tank and everything works fine. The only problem is that I have very few bubbles. Almost none. When I blow into the air line I have bubbles but it stops immediately. Throw me some advice.
The pump is in less than 5 inches of water and the airline is brand new.

For the clowns.

NO I will not blow into my skimmer forever.
NO I will not pay someone to blow into my skimmer.
NO I Wil not force my child to blow into the skimmer.

Lol way to cut the jokesters off at the pass.

hooked
04-01-2014, 07:33 AM
Salt creep in venturi valve? I had a coralife and hated it, had to add an airpump and wood airstone inside a piece of PVC attached to the inlet of the water pump so it sucked in super fine bubbles. Is it a needle wheel pump?

+1. These skimmers worked well enough. Buy you have to watch them. When I had mine, I would have to clean the cup out every couple of days. I always had to chase out the venturi with a small drill bit. They build up with salt quickly. I Bypassed the muffler completely. It was plugged and cut off any air flow.

Sharkboy99999
04-01-2014, 12:20 PM
I have no problems with mine . For now atlest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

static reef
04-01-2014, 04:13 PM
I figured it out. The venturi has to be on the suction side of the pump not the output side. Second trip to big r today for a few misc plumbing parts and bam! I got bubbles.

hooked
04-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Good catch. Would have not caught that through discussion only.

static reef
04-01-2014, 04:25 PM
Everyone kept talking about the venturi. I have had skimmers that it didnt matter. I guess this specific pump isnt designed that way. The pump itselp will have to be changed out. Its pretty loud. I also covered the output line with a 6"x4" block of filter floss. 0 minutes rock bubbles now.

chriscreasman
04-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Is it one of those Italian pumps? Some times when you plug them in the run backwards. Unplug and try again.....

static reef
04-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Is it one of those Italian pumps? Some times when you plug them in the run backwards. Unplug and try again.....

Duh. Tried that already. Lol

chriscreasman
04-01-2014, 08:12 PM
I figured as much but some times the most simple thing is forgotten about. When I was an electrician and stuff didn't work after I tried to fix it, it was usually not working because it wasn't plugged in. LOL

hooked
04-01-2014, 08:30 PM
I figured as much but some times the most simple thing is forgotten about. When I was an electrician and stuff didn't work after I tried to fix it, it was usually not working because it wasn't plugged in. LOL

Done that before. I even bought new brushes for my DA sander. Put them in and it still didn't work. Then my wife plugged it in for me. AMAZING!!!

static reef
04-01-2014, 09:18 PM
You go girl