PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer question..

Socratic Reef
03-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Is a 75-100g rated protein skimmer too much for my 28g Nano? I only plan on running the skimmer at night for 6-7 hours. I know it is overkill (but allows me to grow at some point in the future), but I am just wondering if it will do any "harm" to my tank? I found a killer deal on one, but it is the 75-100g version as compared to the 10-75g version.

Thanks in advance!

Coral Xpressions
03-04-2014, 11:34 PM
I always prefer to overtaking rather than under skim. If it pulling it out then it's working. The more it pulls out the better

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

lsaint
03-04-2014, 11:53 PM
One of the speakers at reefstock talked about not over skimming to much the skimmer does pull out a lot of good and bad stuff if you go with that one I would not skim 24\7 I have started turning off my skimmer for 2hr in the middle of the day

xsocali
03-05-2014, 12:24 AM
Like what Lenny said,Scott Feltman the speaker at Reefstock said that they only run their skimmers like 4 days a week on their coral raceways at the wholesale facilities.

Levi
03-05-2014, 12:43 AM
Like what Lenny said,Scott Feltman the speaker at Reefstock said that they only run their skimmers like 4 days a week on their coral raceways at the wholesale facilities.

keep in mind he is talking about coral raceways with minimal fish/feeding. I agree with not overskimming but I also agree with over building. I am not looking for a skimmer that can do 240g I am looking for a skimmer capable of at least 350g of heavy load so that I am able to pull a ton of skimmate, and run my skimmer only 14 on and 10 off to see if I need to do it more like Lenny said he is doing. I will start backing it down to only off for 10, 9, 8 and so on till I feel I have a good ratio. I have noticed that skimming 24/7 now that I don't have any fish in my DT, that I am not getting the same results in growth as I was when fish were in the system and skimming 24/7. I think 75g-100g is great just start observing how many hours you skim and play around with it till you feel you have a good on/off ratio.

I think Doyle is only running his 12on and 12off now.

lsaint
03-05-2014, 12:48 AM
I think Doyle is only running his 12on and 12off now.

Ya he sad something like that

Romebaby
03-05-2014, 01:12 AM
I think you would be ok, especially only running 1/4 time. Is the 75-100 for a light bio-load? If so then it's prob rated 30-50 for heavy. Check the user reviews on noise for that big one.

I've been skimming now for a couple months 12-12 (skimmer at night) partly because of this article:

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/unique-corals/146862-quick-look-feeding-sps-what-they-need-how-give-them.html

My zoas & palys look noticeably better and I haven't seen any change on my sps, which is good. The weird thing is, at the end of the week I have more gunk in the cup than I did running 24x7.

Just in the last couple weeks I cut it down to 6 hours a night and I still see the same amount of gunk as running 12. I currently run it 2a-8a only.

neogenix
03-09-2014, 06:29 AM
While I've read tine and time again about coral farming systems running little or no skimming, they're also (as Levi said) near fish-free systems and the majority of the time un-fed.

I'm torn myself on getting oversized vs. right-sized. My last two tanks were slightly over sized and this new tank I'm building is probably closer to right sized...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernout
03-09-2014, 11:45 AM
The other factor to consider is how much water it's going to pull from the tank when the skimmer is turned on (or put back when turned off). My Aqua Maxx on my 28g pulls enough where it always activates my ATO for a while. I'm assuming bigger skimmers will be worse for that.

Granted in my case the salinity swing hasn't hurt anything. I run the skimmer for 9 hours overnight.

Bernout

Levi
03-09-2014, 07:40 PM
A skimmer doesn't empty out when turned off so it depends on hob or in chamber. My skimmer empty drops down to the same level of water as the chamber of the sump it is sitting in. Make sure to consider what Bernout said for your biocube but when looking forward towards a larger build no worries as it will be in a sump.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk Pro

Socratic Reef
03-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Ok, well I ordered the ESHOPPS PSK-100H skimmer... got it at a great price. Did some research on it, etc.... and noise and micro-bubbles shouldn't be a problem.

Good input from everyone... I didn't account for the water levels triggering an ATO. I did watch the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=807i-WfAUhQ on priming the skimmer. Looks like water levels didn't go up all that high - same as water level in tank so I am hoping that triggering an ATO won't become problematic. I talked with Romebaby a couple of weeks back and liked what he had to say about running the skimmer only at night for a little while and I liked the results I saw in his tank as well.. Like I said earlier, I plan only running it at night and and for maybe 6-7 hours, so we will see how it goes.