PDA

View Full Version : External skimmer installation question

Joe
02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Is there any problem with placing an external skimmer on the floor beside the sump and running the outlet line up and over into the sump?

I've been looking around and it seems like I always see external skimmers installed higher than the sump and the outlet goes out then down. For my installation, I'm planning to have it sitting on the floor by the sump, and that means the water return line would need to route up and back into the sump. The images I see are all with the outlet just going down into the sump. The instructions say absolutely nothing about placement. They only show where the lines hook up. I don't want to complete my plumbing and find out there is a problem with head loss or back pressure that will require a big change.

freedominco
02-14-2014, 12:20 AM
I had my skimmer next to my sump and it sat lower then the sump because of the skimmer height, my return to the sump was drilled into the side though

Romebaby
02-14-2014, 12:24 AM
I would think that added height would add back pressure and increase the water level in the skimmer. Don't know for sure though.

freedominco
02-14-2014, 12:38 AM
I would think that added height would add back pressure and increase the water level in the skimmer. Don't know for sure though.

The water level inside my skimmer (lifereef) is controlled by a gate valve on the output

Joe
02-14-2014, 04:09 AM
I guess I'm going to run it the way I want it and adjust if needed later. I won't be running it for at least a week anyway as I let the tank continue to cycle.

Levi
02-14-2014, 07:52 AM
The water level inside my skimmer (lifereef) is controlled by a gate valve on the output

Controlled by gate valve + water level or pump output. If the size of the plumbing can handle 2500gph and you are running 900 with water level higher in sump than in skimmer, the pressure will equalize forcing more water through the pump than 900gph. I highly recommend trying it how you want it in a non perm manner and see if you can fine tune it the way you want it. If not then might need to elevate it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

freedominco
02-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Controlled by gate valve + water level or pump output. If the size of the plumbing can handle 2500gph and you are running 900 with water level higher in sump than in skimmer, the pressure will equalize forcing more water through the pump than 900gph. I highly recommend trying it how you want it in a non perm manner and see if you can fine tune it the way you want it. If not then might need to elevate it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

My skimmer is twice as tall as my sump so the water level can never be higher in my sump than my skimmer, it dosen't matter if there is 2 inches of water in my sump or it's filled to the rim the skimmer stays the same, I have used internal skimmers in the past where water level in the sump mattered but it does not with this external skimmer.

Levi
02-14-2014, 12:42 PM
My skimmer is twice as tall as my sump so the water level can never be higher in my sump than my skimmer, it dosen't matter if there is 2 inches of water in my sump or it's filled to the rim the skimmer stays the same, I have used internal skimmers in the past where water level in the sump mattered but it does not with this external skimmer.

yeah the LR are tall skimmers, this was aimed at joes skimmer since his sump is pretty tall and his skimmer isnt a ton taller, it may affect the water level he wants to maintain in the skimmer.