PDA

View Full Version : Ecotech Radion

Levi
01-23-2014, 12:53 AM
After seeing Charlie's setup the other day, I have decided that I would rather save up and go with Radions for my DT and Frag. Because of the depth I do not feel I need 3 Radions over my 4ft 90g, and will only use 2, and use the 3rd over a 24"x24" frag tank that is only 12" deep.

Best place to buy them seeing as I will need 3 and a Reeflink? XR30w Pro with the TIR lenses. BRS has a kit with 3 and the hanging rails but they are not the newer units.

Romebaby
01-23-2014, 01:20 AM
If you can live with the Gen2 I'd look for some used ones on R2R or RC. Used Gen2 aren't gonna be that old.

Haddonis reef
01-23-2014, 06:40 AM
Agree I'd look for some used first cause it would be a lot more affordable. Likes said she I were here I found one on r2r for 300 and still has two mths of warrenty. The reef link will more then likely have to be bought new as they just came out a few weeks ago.

kutcha
01-23-2014, 08:38 AM
IMO all the new gens are pointless you can just get a gen 2 and add the LEDs you want into it that is the only really big difference between gen 2 and 3

rye_84
01-23-2014, 10:04 AM
DIY them! If I wanted to buy them I would need 4-5 units and would spend well over 2000 for them. I am looking at around $8-900 for the unit I am building which will have 210 LEDs and link to my apex for controlling. I am beginning to realize this is going to be overkill as I am building it, but no going back now!

Levi
01-23-2014, 07:36 PM
DIY them! If I wanted to buy them I would need 4-5 units and would spend well over 2000 for them. I am looking at around $8-900 for the unit I am building which will have 210 LEDs and link to my apex for controlling. I am beginning to realize this is going to be overkill as I am building it, but no going back now!

I could easily diy but I like the different watt LEDs used and they look amazing with awesome color blending. I tried to find individual colors in Charlie's tank like what you would expect with typical full spectrum 3w units and couldn't find any.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

rye_84
01-23-2014, 08:00 PM
I've got 12w neutral white LEDs which is really 4 in 1 and then deep red cyan blue royal blue and violet in mine so far. I haven't seen the ecotechs in real life. Only in photos but from what there specs are for LEDs I am thinking I may come out close. No idea until I get to powering up though.

Levi
02-15-2014, 03:55 AM
I've got 12w neutral white LEDs which is really 4 in 1 and then deep red cyan blue royal blue and violet in mine so far. I haven't seen the ecotechs in real life. Only in photos but from what there specs are for LEDs I am thinking I may come out close. No idea until I get to powering up though.

after looking at your build, I decided to try one myself so I just ordered all the parts I need to start my controller. I am going with the arduino mega 2560. I need to build a canopy for my tank and get heatsinks ordered from the same place you did. Need to decide how I want to do the layout of the leds and how I want to make the canopy to house the power supply.

rye_84
02-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Make sure you plan everything out and then realize it will change a lot.

Levi
02-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Yeah I got this to play with and see if I want to do it with a controller or just get LEDs and pots and use timers to run on off etc. I enjoy coding and my friend martin and I haven't had a project to work on together in awhile.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

hooked
02-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Levi - if you are going to mimic an existing led system with your diy. I would suggest looking at the max spect LEDs that Romebaby has also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kutcha
02-15-2014, 11:13 AM
or just buy some radions like i am thinking about doing :P

Levi
02-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Levi - if you are going to mimic an existing led system with your diy. I would suggest looking at the max spect LEDs that Romebaby has also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have looked at the specs and frankly am not impressed when comparing price vs cheap Chinese ebay leds. Unless I am missing something this is like buying reefbreeders fixtures for 499 when you can get the same from the manufac for under 300 per fixture, but anyways that's a different topic for discussion. I am going to try and mimic the radions hopefully and even down to using their optics kits. I am trying to see how much it will cost to have MCPCB's made in the shape/size that I want so that I don't have to be constricted with using leds on stars.

Haddonis reef
02-16-2014, 07:33 AM
or just buy some radions like i am thinking about doing :P

Agree save the head ache!

Levi
02-16-2014, 09:24 AM
lol if I had the 1800 bucks for 3 of them sure, but working on a budget, one day after the wife and I buy a house maybe.