PDA

View Full Version : Anenome Question

cfisk
01-03-2014, 09:52 AM
First off, please forgive the newbie-ness of this question!

Husband and I just got our first bubble tipped anenome last week. He seemed to be doing well in our tank:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/epahunar.jpg

We noticed Wednesday night that he keeps doing this off and on:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/03/yteme5y4.jpg

Is this normal, or is something seriously wrong? As of this morning the lights are off and he looks back to normal again, so I'm not sure what to think.

Thanks!

sweat044
01-03-2014, 09:55 AM
I have never had an Anenome but from what I have read they need to have a well established tank to survive. It doesn't look right but again I am no expert. You may want to read up on them and see what others have experienced. You can google just about anything.

hooked
01-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Could be doing a self water change. They will do that from time to time. Keep an eye on it. Should get back to normal after a day or two.
How long has the tank been set up? everyone says not to add a nem until the tank is at least 6 months old. I'm no expert though.
Maybe Stacy7127 will chime in. He is the go to guy when it comes to nems.

cfisk
01-03-2014, 10:05 AM
This tank has been set up for 2 months, but it was also a transfer from a smaller tank if that makes a difference.

Part of the reason why we joined this forum is we started to question some of the advice Sage from Seascapes was giving us. She told us our tank would be fine for an anenome and even recommended it. Bummer.

If our tank truly isn't ready since it hasn't been a full 6 months in this exact tank, what should we do? Any advice?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

hooked
01-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Tanks will cycle at different rates. Since you combined from another tank. You may be ok. Are your parameters ok? Maybe something is out of wack and causing a reaction. What other livestock do you have in the tank? How are they doing?

cfisk
01-03-2014, 10:13 AM
All parameters have been perfect. Nitrates have been high, but talking to Bush it could be because we shake the bottle. I planned to check that again tonight to see if it changes. Other livestock includes a few fish and a shrimp... and the standard snails and crabs of course. :)

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 10:15 AM
This tank has been set up for 2 months, but it was also a transfer from a smaller tank if that makes a difference.

Part of the reason why we joined this forum is we started to question some of the advice Sage from Seascapes was giving us. She told us our tank would be fine for an anenome and even recommended it. Bummer.

If our tank truly isn't ready since it hasn't been a full 6 months in this exact tank, what should we do? Any advice?

Can't help but chuckle. You heard my speech lol. Stay up on water changes and parameters. Make sure nothing swings to include ph

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 10:17 AM
If need be bring it by and I can try to rehab it until lights get upgraded or tank stabilizes a bit more. How those zoas doing?

hooked
01-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I saw the lights that they bought. They should be fine for the nem. Nitrates are the last part of the nitrogen cycle. Maybe the cycle isn't complete. After two months though, it should.
I would take bush up on the offer to nurse the nem for a little while longer. Let that tank stabilize a bit more.

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Sssh, Doyle. Trying to sell leds here lol. Just kidding.

If Doyle says the lights see fine then you can scratch that as as cause. Maybe wait until it bubbles back up and try feeding it a silver side or some ****tail shrimp

hooked
01-03-2014, 10:31 AM

If Doyle says the lights see fine then you can scratch that as as cause. Maybe wait until it bubbles back up and try feeding it a silver side or some ****tail shrimp

Sorry Bud. Trying to eliminate a problem first. If it was a lighting problem, the nem would be on the move for a better spot. Can get better lights later.
With elevated nitrates. I would concentrate on that first. do a retest and make sure that isn't the problem. If it is still high. I'd get it out of there.

cfisk
01-03-2014, 10:31 AM

Don't worry Bush, we've taken everything you've said into consideration... including the lights! You're not truly in the hobby if you're not already dreaming of the next upgrade, right? ;-)

We fed the nem some krill the day after we bought him so hopefully he's happy and full.

I'll try to keep an eye on him and will definitely have you keep him healthy for us.... Problem is I don't know what to watch for to "keep an eye on him."

cfisk
01-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Oh and the zoas are doing okay I think. They've opened up at least. What else should we watch for?

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Try maybe a better nitrate test kit than api. In wasn't too big a fan of that one.

cfisk
01-03-2014, 10:34 AM
I'll check the nitrates again tonight. Do you know what an acceptable level should be, even if it's a tad high?

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I can't remember but I'm sure they're going to be slightly higher than most wanted to be considering the canister filter. One good option would be to invest in a skimmer even if one of the in take skimmers until you can upgrade to a sump

kutcha
01-03-2014, 10:36 AM
your tank is to new nems are very picky and it looks like that one is on its last leg with my tank beforei even set up i let my rock/sand cycle in a bin for a month and a half the ni set it up in september and just got my RBTA about a month ago so with my rock cycling and then the wait time it waited about 5 months before e put a nem in my tank i also dosed with trace elements and other additives to make sure the nem would be ok IMO there isnt much you can do for that nem it is either going to pull through or die if it dies do a major water change nems release alot of bad stuff when they die the only thing i would say is spot feed it to give it extra strengtrh try and get some garlic juice to dip the food in before you give to him try to boost his immune system

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Yeah I probably should have mentioned that I've done everything everybody says is wrong with my personal tank but everything's turned out great for me. I have had anemones since day 1 without ever having an issue. Try 10 percent water changes every week and maybe maybe reconsider where you're getting your water from. I won't say where you're getting it from but I will say there have been s few questionable instances with that water. If anything swing by the house I'll hook you up with some plain RO water for 20 cents a gallon. Same water I use so I will vouchers for it.

Just a few ideas

hooked
01-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Water changes are always a good idea when you have a problem. If you need some for a quick water change. I'm by the citadel and can hook you up also. This will help with the high nitrates also.

cfisk
01-03-2014, 10:55 AM
So I guess my question has been answered... The anenome is NOT supposed to look that way and we DO have a problem. Darn. Right now he's hanging out looking "normal" like he does it the first pic, so it's hard to judge.

Will do a water change tonight, hopefully that will help. If not, I can bring him to Bush to keep hopefully him healthy for a bit...

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Just let me know right now I am driving through Texas taking the kiddos home but should be back tonight around 8

hooked
01-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Just let me know right now I am driving through Texas taking the kiddos home but should be back tonight around 8

Safe travels bud.

cfisk
01-03-2014, 11:13 AM

I'll keep you posted. I'm hoping he'll be okay but never know. If he goes shriveled up again I'll text/call ASAP. Thanks for your help!

Driving through Texas.... Sounds like a blast! :)

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks homie

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 11:20 AM
Smells like something blasted off or out of all this livestock

greaseballpaul
01-03-2014, 12:09 PM
What thread is this posted in?

eye man at soul

Coral Xpressions
01-03-2014, 12:10 PM
The family side lol

cfisk
01-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Just checked our levels again. When I don't shake the nitrate bottle, everything is perfect... Perfect according to these tests anyways. No clue. But the nem is looking good normal at the moment. Will do a water change too shortly.

hooked
01-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Good to hear. Now hopefully it stays on that path.

cfisk
01-03-2014, 07:03 PM
I agree, thanks!

Question: when he moved the other day, he picked a spot near the water intake. Could it be he picked a bad spot? (again sorry for all the questions, I know you all are a wealth of knowledge!)

kmellon
01-03-2014, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't be worried about that at all. I have had several nems take up residence near the overflow. One of my sunburst is up by the top of my 120 with a few tentacles slipping back through the teeth.

smokey
01-04-2014, 10:04 AM
It's possible the spot he picked the first time wasn't perfect. Sometimes nems move a lot until the spot is just right. In my experience, you probably got him a little too early and he was trying to adjust to the tank. Nems and clams are very sensitive to levels being out if whack, including nitrates, so I'm betting you were just finishing up the cycle and he was doing his own water changes like Doyle mentioned. Has he stayed relatively normal the last day or so? I'd say he'll probably shrivel at least one more time but it should stop over the next couple of weeks. Go with small weekly water changes and try to get the nitrates down and just keep an eye on him.

kmellon
01-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I had one that was so happy in the place he was at that he never moved and when he split, the split moved all over the tank before it came back to the original spot.

cfisk
01-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks Smokey for the advice. He's Ben okay for the most part. He Shriveled a little but looked big and happy again last night.

I tried the nitrate test without shaking the bottle and the results were perfect. If the API test isn't reliable, is there something better we should be using? Right now I can't say with any confidence what our nitrates are at.

Hydroid
01-04-2014, 01:24 PM
My nem did that exact thing off and on for a few weeks but it came back better then ever as long as it is attached and not floating or tumbling around I wouldn't worry

cfisk
01-04-2014, 01:32 PM
My nem did that exact thing off and on for a few weeks but it came back better then ever as long as it is attached and not floating or tumbling around I wouldn't worry

That's great to hear, thank you! He's attached to a rock nice and strong, and eating like a champ too. Has good flow and the fish are leaving it alone so I hope all is well in the long run.

cfisk
01-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks again to everyone who has offered advice!

freedominco
01-04-2014, 03:40 PM
About a year ago I got a rainbow nem from reefstock for about two weeks on and off it would be all shriveled up and then look fine, it turned out to be just fine, nems are funny like that in my experience, I have always waited for the tank to be established but have seen many people add them early on with no problems.

cfisk
01-04-2014, 03:55 PM
About a year ago I got a rainbow nem from reefstock for about two weeks on and off it would be all shriveled up and then look fine, it turned out to be just fine, nems are funny like that in my experience, I have always waited for the tank to be established but have seen many people add them early on with no problems.

Great to hear, thank you!

Luke W.
01-06-2014, 08:44 AM
I had one a few weeks ago that did that. If you do a water change, add calcium and alkalinity then after a day or two it should be fine.

Hope this helps

dannonlayne
01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
I tried the nitrate test without shaking the bottle and the results were perfect. If the API test isn't reliable, is there something better we should be using? Right now I can't say with any confidence what our nitrates are at.

I like the Red Sea test kits. The one I have came with both phosphate and nitrate tests. I think I got it online from Drs Foster & Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

cfisk
01-06-2014, 10:12 PM
I had one a few weeks ago that did that. If you do a water change, add calcium and alkalinity then after a day or two it should be fine.

Hope this helps

The nem has been acting normal the last 2 days. It flattened out a little today but for a very short time. Hopefully he's getting adjusted and happy. :)

bazeball05
01-06-2014, 10:20 PM
The nem has been acting normal the last 2 days. It flattened out a little today but for a very short time. Hopefully he's getting adjusted and happy. :)

Good! I like good news!

stacy7127
01-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Could be doing a self water change. They will do that from time to time. Keep an eye on it. Should get back to normal after a day or two.
How long has the tank been set up? everyone says not to add a nem until the tank is at least 6 months old. I'm no expert though.
Maybe Stacy7127 will chime in. He is the go to guy when it comes to nems.

Sorry i was out of town ,I have only seen this happen a few times in like 80 rbta i have raised ,sometimes when they split they have looked this way and when i have feed big food like large shrimp or if something is messing with them ,but im probably the worst for info cause i really dont feed my RBTA much and i dont add anything to my tanks just 50 gal water change once a month and normally i keep crappy t5s on my RBTA frag tank cause when they are unhappy they split ,and i have the best luck with them ,if it happens again you can bring it over and put it in with mine to see how it does

gits_girl
01-07-2014, 12:26 AM
If need be bring it by and I can try to rehab it until lights get upgraded or tank stabilizes a bit more. How those zoas doing?

Is this the split to mine? If so I would say it is "normal" for this nem... ours looks great then looks like this pic... wake up in the morning and he's fine again... crazy lil bugger!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Coral Xpressions
01-07-2014, 12:39 AM
Nah they got it from seascapes

gits_girl
01-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Nah they got it from seascapes

Gotcha

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

charleshardy5
03-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Was curious how the little guy is doing? Same thing happened to my RBTA about the same time but he bounced back bigger and better than ever

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

neogenix
03-09-2014, 06:23 AM
I'm wondering how this little guy turned out too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cfisk
03-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Sorry forgot to reply! He actually was looking pretty healthy and was coming around.... And then he decided to commit suicide and got shredded by our filter intake. That was a fun morning, coming down to a cloudy 46g tank and dead fish. After a TON of water changes, we eventually got the tank straightened out and back to normal. Lost a flame angel, chromies, and new zoa frag. Guess it could have been worse right?

He was pretty neat, but as rookies we're gonna stay away from anenomes for awhile now :(

charleshardy5
03-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Im very sorry to hear that. I def got my nem after only being set up a few months so I got lucky.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

lsaint
03-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Ya I had a gbta and it sad hi to my mp10 lucky that I had just got to it in time I did a big wc and pulled out the leftovers and I didn't lose anything

Sent from my HTC 8XT on the Sprint network using Tapatalk