PDA

View Full Version : Hello - First Timer!

cfisk
12-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Hello everyone! My husband and I are just getting into saltwater aquariums and were looking for more information on setting up and maintaining tanks, and I stumbled upon this site. What a wealth of collective knowledge!!

I look forward to getting to know more information about this awesome hobby, and meeting some great people!

Without further ado, here is my info:

Name: Corinne (husband is Josh, we'll both be lurking together)
Tanks and sizes: Started with a small 20g, but it was a pain to maintain so just moved up to a 46 bowed
I live in the Sky Sox area, Barnes and Peterson
Years in the hobby: >1, we're rookies!!
Specific interests: Hubby and I love playing poker. I also am a runner.
Anything else.... I just enlisted in the Army National Guard on 13 Dec, so will be gone for a few months for basic training/OCS. Josh will be holding down the fort while I'm gone. My attached picture is my husband and I after I swore in.

Murfman
12-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Congtats and welcome. I live off Barnes and Powers and Austin Bluffs. Retired Army ;-) Big hoooahhhh to you! Also need to talk, my Great Grandmother was a Fiske and I do genealogy!

hooked
12-31-2013, 11:39 AM
Welcome to our addiction to both of you. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Feel free to ask anything. Someone is bound to have an answer.
Thank you for your service to our great nation.

cfisk
12-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Congtats and welcome. I live off Barnes and Powers and Austin Bluffs. Retired Army ;-) Big hoooahhhh to you! Also need to talk, my Great Grandmother was a Fiske and I do genealogy!

Thanks for the welcome! Fisk is actually an abbreviation of our rediculously long last name. We just got married in July, so it's a new name for me and I'm still getting used to it. ;)

lsaint
12-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Welcome From Canon City!!!

sweat044
12-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the addiction. Questions are always great. I ask them all the time. Good luck with the new tank.

lsaint
12-31-2013, 11:56 AM
Quick tip!! Setup a photobucket account best way to post photos!!!

Amphispur
12-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the addiction!

cfisk
12-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the addiction. Questions are always great. I ask them all the time. Good luck with the new tank.

I don't really have any questions right now off the top of my head, but was wondering if maybe we should post our setup somewhere to get feedback. Currently our setup is pretty minimal (no sump, etc), and mostly based off of the advice from Sage at Seascape. Our fish seem happy and we're looking to start to dabble with corals. As newbies, it's all pretty overwhelming since everyone has different advice. We know corals are a whole new animal, so don't want to shell out a ton of money and potentially fail.

89delta
12-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the addiction from the only squid on here...

RuRoo
12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Welcome. A good way to learn is from other member tanks. That's how I learned.

sweat044
12-31-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't really have any questions right now off the top of my head, but was wondering if maybe we should post our setup somewhere to get feedback. Currently our setup is pretty minimal (no sump, etc), and mostly based off of the advice from Sage at Seascape. Our fish seem happy and we're looking to start to dabble with corals. As newbies, it's all pretty overwhelming since everyone has different advice. We know corals are a whole new animal, so don't want to shell out a ton of money and potentially fail.
You are correct. You may ask a question and get 10 different answers. As a person that has had many, many tank crashes and has gone through everything. The best advice is to keep your hands out of the tank.

hooked
12-31-2013, 01:12 PM
I think we spoke at seascapes. Did you just buy a T5 light fixture for your tank there, Right before Christmas?

Coral Xpressions
12-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Welcome. Good stuff joining the army. I hit 12 yrs this coming March. Don't listen to thise old guys...retirees are all disgruntled. JK Paul. I'm right down the road from ya and your welcome to swing by, check out the shop and ask all the questions you may have

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Coral Xpressions
12-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Look forward to seeing your setup

xsocali
12-31-2013, 02:14 PM
Welcome to SCMAS,looking forward to seeing you both at one of the meetings.

cfisk
12-31-2013, 02:29 PM
I think we spoke at seascapes. Did you just buy a T5 light fixture for your tank there, Right before Christmas?

You sir, are correct! That was definitely us... our Christmas present to each other was a light fixture :)

cfisk
12-31-2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome. Good stuff joining the army. I hit 12 yrs this coming March. Don't listen to thise old guys...retirees are all disgruntled. JK Paul. I'm right down the road from ya and your welcome to swing by, check out the shop and ask all the questions you may have

That would be great, thanks! We're itching to see other people's tanks and pick their brains on how to proceed with ours!

Coral Xpressions
12-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Well maybe the next meeting will be at our house if the president here answers my text message

Coral Xpressions
12-31-2013, 02:36 PM
But I'll be off all day tomorrow so you're welcome to come whenever and this weekend or whenever

cfisk
12-31-2013, 02:57 PM
We don't have anything going on tomorrow either, so that sounds great! I would send you a PM but I don't have that ability yet...

hooked
12-31-2013, 02:59 PM
We don't have anything going on tomorrow either, so that sounds great! I would send you a PM but I don't have that ability yet...

To keep down spam, we require 25 post before you can send and receive pm's. You will get there in no time.

Coral Xpressions
12-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Shoot me a text 210 275 7520

89delta
12-31-2013, 04:00 PM
Jon's got great stuff....I'd rob him but he'd know it was me...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Joe
12-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the club! Congratulations on joining the National Guard.

Coral Xpressions
01-01-2014, 04:41 AM
Didn't want to text this early in the day. Call me when you're ready to swing by. Might not hear the text go off but ringer will wake me lol