PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Alk level

Bernout
12-17-2013, 09:44 PM
I've noticed the last 4 months or so that my kH level has been steadily decreasing despite increasing my dosing times steadily. Ca has been mostly ok but I've had to start dosing Mg which I never had to do before either.

I'm guessing that I'm not dosing as much kH as I think. Maybe time to replace the hose on the peristaltic pump? It's been probably a year and a half. Or maybe something is going on with my Hanna kit?

The corals still look ok but the level just dropped below 6 which can't be good.

Advice and suggestions are welcome.

Bernout

mikea213
12-17-2013, 10:31 PM
If your alk is dropping Mg is probably the problem. I know with the 2 part mix they say after every gal dose 20oz Mg but I would test first to make sure. I ran into that issue 2 years ago soon as mag came up Alk stayed right on.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Bernout
12-19-2013, 08:27 AM
If your alk is dropping Mg is probably the problem. I know with the 2 part mix they say after every gal dose 20oz Mg but I would test first to make sure. I ran into that issue 2 years ago soon as mag came up Alk stayed right on.

Hmmm...I've been dosing just over 3 oz of Mg on a weekly basis (more or less) and the Mg level is usually over 1300. Keep in mind my tank is a 28g. :) I thought getting the Mg up would help but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I guess I can always replace the Alk tubing after the holidays and see if that helps.

Bernout