PDA

View Full Version : Bleach......

Levi
11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I used a 2.5% solution of unscented bleach and soaked my LR as well as my sand it. Don't ask why long story. Anyways I have had it sitting in tap water soaking and every 5 days I empty it and fill it up again as the water gets cloudy so I assume its the bleach leaching out. Any helpful advice or better to just say screw it and get rid of the LR and sand?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

kutcha
11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
i know there is supposedly like one type of bleach that is ok and wont sea pinto live rock but i wouldnt trust it i would get ride of the live rock and sand or literally have it rinsing for like 6 months then cure it alone then drie it out again and rinse it and cure it again

hooked
11-06-2013, 12:59 PM
Just as precaution, try adding dechlor to your water. Typically chlorine will flash off within 24 hours on its own.

deboy69
11-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I've always just let it sit outside in the sun for a week after cleaning mine. Haven't had any problems yet

KCCO

Levi
11-06-2013, 01:30 PM
I have used the aquarium tap water dechlor after each water change and have followed the directions of a cap full per 20g but have gone through almost a full 16.9oz bottle already. I don't smell bleach anymore but the cloudy water troubles me. When I first added the bleach it sank to the bottom in white masses and slowly disovled. 30g of actual water and I did 3/4 of a gallon of bleach which should equal a 2.5% solution

Murfman
11-06-2013, 02:13 PM
sound like detritus coming off the rocks. you can take the rock to a car was, run a rinse through the wand and then hose it off real good. If you are not comfortable doing that, take it outside and use the garden hose with spray nozzle. Then soak it in RO/DI for a few days.

kutcha
11-06-2013, 02:22 PM
do you have a power head moving the water around in with that rock and sand? also the sand would worry me cause if the bleach sinked down to the bottom the only way to really get it out of the sand is to mix up the sand

Levi
11-06-2013, 05:51 PM
I put the 40lbs of sand in a 5g bucket and used my hose to keep the sand tumbling for 2 hours. My water bill is going to be outrageous lol. I have a filter going with new carbon cartridges as well as a mj1200 with the attachment to make it work like a koralia. So I have a ton of movement and I stir the sand in water twice a day. Maybe I'm just freaking myself out lol. I will put the rocks outside to dry out and see how that helps

static reef
11-07-2013, 06:53 AM
sound like detritus coming off the rocks. you can take the rock to a car was, run a rinse through the wand and then hose it off real good. If you are not comfortable doing that, take it outside and use the garden hose with spray nozzle. Then soak it in RO/DI for a few days.

+1. Normally it will take 6-8 rinses to completely clean used sand

JLAURENCE32
11-07-2013, 10:42 AM
I've never done sand but in the old days I used to take out all my 'tufa' rock and bleach it in a bathtub full of water with a couple cups of bleach, then just swish it around in a 5 gallon bucket of fresh water then back in the tank. Tank smelled like bleach for a week but it didn't hurt the fish or anemones. The tank looked beautiful with the white rock and my blue and orange fake plastic plants! :)

Levi
11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
well I think I am going to set the rocks out on the deck for few days to dry out, then start with fresh RO/DI water, let the rock and sand "marinate" for a month with a chromis in there or something and see how it goes.

freedominco
11-07-2013, 10:56 PM
well I think I am going to set the rocks out on the deck for few days to dry out, then start with fresh RO/DI water, let the rock and sand "marinate" for a month with a chromis in there or something and see how it goes.

I have done this same thing in the past with great results, in fact I have about 100 lbs sitting on my deck right now, wait till the rock turns white and be sure to move it around every couple of days then rinse with fresh rodi if it's clear when your rinsing it it's ready to be turned back into live rock or SLOWLY added to your tank