PDA

View Full Version : Coral removal

Hydroid
10-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Ok I'm new to the hobby so forgive the ignorance

I have these bland colored soft coral polyps I really don't know what there called but they are growing and spreading at an alarming rate. What is the correct method for pruning them back.
I know they have a toxin that is none to pleasant. I also don't want to not hurt the other corals on the same rock a torch and the other I think is a Xenia.please correct me if necessary.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a489/handcannon44/image_zps1dae9027.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/handcannon44/media/image_zps1dae9027.jpg.html)

The second question is along same lines. I have a small rock covered in macro algae I would like to move to my refugium. The hitch is it also has a nice little toadstool on it I would like to save how do I remove from the rock to relocate it or should I leave it. Will it even survive in the lower flow of the refugium?

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a489/handcannon44/image_zps157e9a8a.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/handcannon44/media/image_zps157e9a8a.jpg.html)

Please ignore the embarrassing hair algae it's an ongoing battle:banghead:

89delta
10-08-2013, 07:30 PM
To me the best thing to do with both rocks is to propagate the softies to another rock or plug.

Hydroid
10-08-2013, 07:46 PM
How is that done?

I am interested in saving the toadstool but don't know how to remove it from its current rock correctly

The others I don't care much about there kind of plain and don't want them taking over the tank

89delta
10-08-2013, 07:56 PM
U can use a razor blade on all 3 at the base where they meet the rock. You can try superglue but it's never worked for me. I just place the "frag" into the sandbed in a low flow area and let them attach to the substrate. After about two weeks there will be enough substrate attached to where you can glue it to a piece of rock or a plug.

Hydroid
10-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Do I need to worry about palytoxin?

Murfman
10-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Best way to kill the palys is take the rock out and let it sit outside for a week or so. For the leather, you can try and chip the base off with a hammer and chisel or use the razor blade to cut it off.

89delta
10-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Wear PPE (gloves & face shield or goggles) just to be on the safe side for the paly's. But as Murfman said if you can chisel the Coral you want from the paly's you wont have to worry about cutting them off.

Hydroid
10-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Best way to kill the palys is take the rock out and let it sit outside for a week or so. For the leather, you can try and chip the base off with a hammer and chisel or use the razor blade to cut it off.

Ok the paly rock has corals I want to keep on it so can't take it out. So if I'm understanding correctly I can just trim them back with a razor blade as needed right

And I'm assuming I need a special chisel for this? Hate the idea of one from my tool touching anything from my tank.

Thanks for the help guys this is great

Murfman
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Ok the paly rock has corals I want to keep on it so can't take it out. So if I'm understanding correctly I can just trim them back with a razor blade as needed right

And I'm assuming I need a special chisel for this? Hate the idea of one from my tool touching anything from my tank.

Thanks for the help guys this is great

I use a wood chisel and hammer to break the rock around the coral. Once you get the corals off, you can take the rock out.

89delta
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
If you've got a cold chisel to can break apart the rock with the palys on them to try and get a fragment of rock with the corals you do want on them. The corals will survive out of water for a short period of time while you do this. If you don't feel comfortable with fragging the corals you want with a razor or the chisel approach i'd be more than happy to lend a hand if you're ever headed to the Springs.

Polworts Plunge
10-08-2013, 09:30 PM
You probably want to pull up my thread about Palytoxin from about 2 months ago. If you are not careful, it can and will put you in the hospital. I was lucky and just had breathing treaments done in the ER......

Hydroid
10-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Ok thanks for the info guys

I don't hate the palys just don't want them taking over the tank

In going to go with the chisel method for the leather for sure

sweat044
10-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Another option is to see if someone wants the palys and in return they help you remove the Corals you want to keep.

Also, PPE should be worn anytime you are dealing with palys and zoas. A friend of mine expereinced very low polytoxin while dipping corals before they went into his display.

Hydroid
10-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Another option is to see if someone wants the palys and in return they help you remove the Corals you want to keep.

I honestly never considered that option cause there so bland in color didn't think anyone would want them.
There not a big issue right now I just noticed how fast there growing and wanted to plan ahead

scrumpto
10-10-2013, 12:10 AM
I used Aiptasia X on my button palys (look the same as yours) and it did the trick after a few treatments. I'm glad as it didn't do jack to the Aiptasia!

Romebaby
10-10-2013, 12:42 AM
In my limited experience the ones that grow fast like the green buttons, pink & golds, etc. if you don't get them completely off they will grow back. Cutting them off close to the base won't get rid of them. I would take the ones off you want to keep - chisel or cut, and then kill off and recycle the rest of the rock. The leather will survive a cut, just do it out of the tank.

AlgaeBarn
10-10-2013, 09:38 PM
You can actually cut the leather up to many pieces to get frags of it. I've kalked palys before, and all it really did was add to the bioload of my tank. I would recommend fragging them and then removing the main rock.