PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Auto Shut Off

dannonlayne
10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
"I don't need an auto-shut off on my RO/DI"

"I always set a timer when I'm filtering water"

"I'm just more responsible than everyone else around here"

Anyone recognize these thoughts from the beginning of their aquarium keeping? I actually thought similar this afternoon.

And just now mopped up 2+ gallons of water off the kitchen floor.

Fail.

Please, share your fail to help me feel less silly.

I figured Beginner Discussion was the perfect place for this mistake to be published.

Munch
10-03-2013, 10:11 PM
I've flooded my basement not less than 4 times... And a lot more than 2 gallons :) Goto bed, forget to turn off RO/DI, wake up to flood :)

Murfman
10-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Been there done that. Wife has new carpet because of it......

stacy_vennes
10-04-2013, 10:55 AM
I'm so glad kenny decided to plumb our rodi and water change station in the garage because of this more than once we have had the water overflow and start running out the door down the driveway lol

AlgaeBarn
10-10-2013, 09:45 PM
2 gallons is nothing. I started to keep my 5 gallon jug in a 27 gallon tote....because I'm that forgetful. And the 27 gallon tote has flooded in the past. Whenever I heard water running (even a toilet), I would get really bad anxiety, because.....I probably just flooded the room again...

I'm now going to either use a sprinker system solenoid or use a 1/4" solenoid and arduino.

dannonlayne
10-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Haha wow. Your stories are much worse than mine.someday I won't be in an apartment and can plumb it in properly. Until then, I'm setting a timer every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

freedominco
10-12-2013, 09:54 AM
I have flooded but my rodi is in the basement so it just went down the floor drain luckily, I do have a horror story about the auto shut off valve on my rodi unit, a couple months ago my water usage tripled, the bill said we used close to 30,000 gallon which was a huge shock because we were having so much rain we only had to water the front yard a couple times this summer. I could not find any leak or anything out of the ordinary until one day when I was down by my rodi I noticed it was vibrating slightly which was odd because the barrel was full so I know the float valve was stopping the flow, well upon further investigation I found that even with the float activated there was still water coming full force out the waste line because of a faulty auto shut off valve in the unit. My rodi easily makes 100 gallons a day so it was dumping 500 plus gallons thru the waste easily each day. The only positive is that air water and ice replaced the bad valve no questions asked.