PDA

View Full Version : Algae

Jpclelland
09-29-2013, 01:40 PM
I noticed that over the last week or so, there is more green algae growing on my sand. Here is what I have to attempt and clean it. A sand sifting star, about a dozen snails. I am willing to buy something else, just not sure what will be most effective. Any info will help. Also, I leave my light on about 12 hours per day and feed them daily if this info maybe helpful.

Thanks in advance.

89delta
09-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Check your phosphate and nitrate levels. Algae loves both of those. How old are your bulbs? With age the bulbs spectrum and intensity changes.Try reducing your lighting schedule for a few weeks. If your phosphates are high there are resins you can use in the aide to remove them. I've use the "hydrogen peroxide" method that helped remove the algae for me. Add 1ml per 10 gallons of water to an area with some flow to help disperse. Within 2wks all algae was gone.

Jpclelland
09-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Nitrate level is in range. Not sure about the phosphate. As for the bulbs, I am working with the fluval leds, so on bulb changing or adjusting. I can definitely reduce the amount of time I leave them on if it wont affect my coral. As for the "hydrogen peroxide method", do I simply pour it directly into the tamk?

sweat044
09-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Cut your light cycle back.

89delta
09-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Yes, with your 55 ad 5ml directly into the tank.

Hydroid
09-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Never heard of this hydrogen peroxide thing is it a daily or one time thing? Are there any possible ill affects?

89delta
09-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Yes its a daily dose for about a week or so..I did it for 10days. From the reading I've done it raises your ORP. Murfman was the one to sway me to try it after I asked about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4

kmellon
09-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Josh, can you tell us more about your system, size, fish, inverts, filtration, light cycle time, type, where you are getting your rodi and salt water, how often and how much you feed. Things like this might also help us help you. by the way, welcome to the group.

Jpclelland
09-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Josh, can you tell us more about your system, size, fish, inverts, filtration, light cycle time, type, where you are getting your rodi and salt water, how often and how much you feed. Things like this might also help us help you. by the way, welcome to the group.

Thanks for the welcome, glad there is a place for help. Here is what I have: about 60 lbs of live rock, sand, sand sifting star, snails, diamond goby, 5 damsels (different types), 2 perculas, 1 bubble tip anenome. For lighting, I have the Fluval Sea LEDs which I have been leaving on for about 12 hours per day. I have a Sea Clone HOB protein skimmer. I purchase my RO and salt water from Pet Paradise in Pueblo which is where I purchased most of the stuff in the tank from. All of the fish and star are from there. I have some green mushrroms, a few polys and some green tip poly. I feed them once a day, a cube of the frozen brine shrimp. I feed the anenome every 1/2 of a silverside every few days. Everything is living well and doing well in the tank thus far. I believe this is all of the info I have. Thanks in advance for any info.

stacy_vennes
09-29-2013, 09:16 PM
I had an issue with algae, Datoms in the sand, Cut your lights back and feed every other day. The peroxide will work as well and next time you do a water change syphon your sand bed and clean out your HOB. But if you use the peroxide check your levels about every other day as well to make sure you dont over do it and fry your coral and fish. If you get Byprosis algae the peroxide it wonderful. Thats what i did and i have no issues now.

chriscreasman
09-30-2013, 07:36 AM
How often are you doing water changes? How often do you clean out your filter pads or filter socks? I recommend taking a 2 pronged approach. Something is generating your problem. Don't treat the system treat the problem. You have to find out what it is and git rid of it. It could be to much light, over feeding, not cleaning out the filters enough a dirty sand bed etc... Then I would take the approach of using something like a Phosphate/Carbon reactor to help maintain. You can find one one at Bulk Reef Supply.There are some fish you can use too to help clean the sand bed. Also I recommend getting an RODI unit. You may be buying good water but it really costs to much over the long haul and it is a pain in the butt to go and get 30-50 gals a month or even more if you have a big tank. RODI will be cheaper in the long run and it is way more convenient so you will actually do your weekly or every 2 week water change. Dilution is the solution.

On another note Maco Algae in your refugium will also help eliminate nitrates....

Ehren
09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Just wanted to add another approach to consider might be a Turf Algae Scrubber (TAS) in your sump or refuge. Basically it circulates water over a mesh and light shines on it to grow algae there instead of in your DT. The theory is the TAS grows algae better on the mesh so that it consumes the nutrients so algae can’t grow in the display tank. There are those that swear by it, others that hate it. The simplest designs are a pump hooked up to some PVC set up so water flows over a roughed up mesh. Basic design principles are 2 square inches of illuminated mesh per gallon (ie 100 gallon = 10”x10” mesh) and 35 gph flow per inches wide of mesh (10 wide =350 gph flow).

I set one up in my Sump a couple weeks ago. It still takes a few weeks for the TAS to be effective so jury is still out. Considering I’ve invested a couple pipes, some joints and a left over pump I have laying around it was worth the experiment. I’ll admit it, I have a bit of an algae problem after I rearranged the tank. Little nutrient spikes can cause the blooms in theory the TAS will control the spikes. I went this route since I don’t want to pay for a GFO, I want the light for my corals and I’m feeding heavy trying to get clowns to spawn (which is working) and I’m hoping that when this gets going it’ll give me a buffer for the future.

Murf did a write-up for the group a while back and internet searches bring up tons of designs.

Murf’s articles: http://www.thescmas.com/forums/content.php?154-Turf-Algae-Scrubbers

Other club links: http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?11390-Lowest-cost-and-easiest-way-to-eliminate-green-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae&highlight=algae+scrubber

http://www.thescmas.com/forums/showthread.php?14463-DIY-Algae-Turf-Scrubber&highlight=algae+scrubber

A site dedicated to TAS:
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/

kmellon
09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
some frozen foods come with their own issues and you are supposed to rinse the cube free of the excess liquids and feed just the meaty portion. They might be adding a lot of phosphates to your system promoting the growtn of the algea. maybe try some phosphate remover. I have a phosban reactor that i'm not using but i have also used media in a bag.

Jpclelland
09-30-2013, 10:37 AM
I greatly appreciate the information from everyone. The main issue is that I do no have a sump. I simply have a HOB protein skimmer with a sponge type filter media that is connected to it. I am looking to get a bigger tank with a sump setup which will make it much better. Until then, I believe I wll try the feeding and lighting ideas and see if it is reduced.

As for the rodi, is this something that is connected to a barrel and simply creates RO water? There are some on here for sale and can go that route as well.